PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Mega Mosque at Broughton

Anyone that’s driven down the bypass this week at rush hour with the road off to the left being closed will be able to testify to why the building of this is going to cause absolute chaos
Eastway was really struggling as a result too, as it often does.
Gut reaction.

This does not belong in Broughton, or any rural area, or crammed into that particular corner of a mental road junction.

All the developments along there, housing, shops, it's too much, with too little traffic infrastructure.

Don't like it, and I'd be furious if I lived in Broughton.
I think the days of Broughton being a 'rural' area are almost over. Was always going to happen as soon as the bypass was built. Soon enough it will be like an extension of Fulwood.

For me it's a nice and ambitious design, but the totally wrong location. There isn't capacity for another big development in that area.

Eastway was really struggling as a result too, as it often does.

I think the days of Broughton being a 'rural' area are almost over. Was always going to happen as soon as the bypass was built. Soon enough it will be like an extension of Fulwood.

For me it's a nice and ambitious design, but the totally wrong location. There isn't capacity for another big development in that area.
Totally agree there. Won’t be long until Broughton, Bartle, Woodplumpton etc are all part of the northern suburbs rather than separate villages.

Same going south, The Lanes development will merge Lostock Hall and Penwortham and then Farington Mews will pretty much connect them to Leyland/Farington.

For me South Ribble doesn’t really need to exist, the unitary council offer on the table a number of years ago with Preston should have been snapped up.

Easyway Hub I think is implied. Literally round the corner on the bypass parallel to Lightfoot Lane.

I never thought of that but it does come into the equation I guess traffic wise.

Definitely not against the development itself, just the location seems madness.

I don't think those in power care about traffic flows. The planning decisions given approval in the area over the past few years pretty much confirm that.

Fully expect this application to get the go ahead.

It does look stunning but it would be better built further away from the junction.
I’m back up North the next couple of weekends and I think I may need to start a sweepstake how many times I’ll be told “it’d be better off being built in Pakistan or wherever they’re all from”

It is baffling that they’ve built the bypass yet still not realised that Eastway was already becoming a car park even outside of rush hours. They really are pinning a lot of hope on this distributor junction from the M55 I guess to shift this traffic elsewhere.

Wonder how long before we need a Western bypass that goes across the river and into the M6/M65 south of the City

Easyway Hub I think is implied. Literally round the corner on the bypass parallel to Lightfoot Lane.

I never thought of that but it does come into the equation I guess traffic wise.

Definitely not against the development itself, just the location seems madness.
Precisely, plus the entire corridor along Tom Benson too. The general Preston sprawl extending Northwards, with a mosque as the crowning centrepiece in the most prominent spot.

Very unimpressed.

I’m back up North the next couple of weekends and I think I may need to start a sweepstake how many times I’ll be told “it’d be better off being built in Pakistan or wherever they’re all from”

It is baffling that they’ve built the bypass yet still not realised that Eastway was already becoming a car park even outside of rush hours. They really are pinning a lot of hope on this distributor junction from the M55 I guess to shift this traffic elsewhere.

Wonder how long before we need a Western bypass that goes across the river and into the M6/M65 south of the City
That's been planned since the M65 was built (and before). Hence the M65 ending as it does, in that huge roundabout to nowhere.

Well I never knew that. So that’s going to be a continuation to the Western distributor eventually?
Yeah - have a quick gander at Google maps. Continue the M65 straight on, through Hutton etc and over the river, to join near Lea, exactly where the new road is being joined up to the M55.

One huge ring road around Preston

Yeah - have a quick gander at Google maps. Continue the M65 straight on, through Hutton etc and over the river, to join near Lea, exactly where the new road is being joined up to the M55.

One huge ring road around Preston

It makes a lot of sense given the shitshow over summer and the bottlenecks of tourists doing the Lakes and the cesspit on the coast. Be more use than HS2 frankly

It makes a lot of sense given the shitshow over summer and the bottlenecks of tourists doing the Lakes and the cesspit on the coast. Be more use than HS2 frankly
Lytham & the Fylde is also getting a new link road to the motorway, so in addition to the new Preston link / distributor, they'll be very well served. = More desirable and even more bistros & wine bars in Lytham

We’ve needed a western crossing of the Ribble for so long now. The bottleneck at the Penwortham/Riversway flyover is horrendous during rush hour. Cutting out the Ashton and Docks area from the Fylde to South Ribble commuters would go such a long way in alleviating traffic in that part of town.

As @pnewortham has mentioned the plan was for the M65 to continue onwards to meet the missing junction of the M55 where the new Western Distributor will now meet it instead.

But that’s no longer possible now. So ideally the Western Distributor needs to meet the Blackpool Road at Lea and then continue over the river to link traffic to the Penwortham Booths roundabout, maybe somewhere around Howick.

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed with the design.

As an architectural work, it's nice, the main building looks very cutting edge. If you saw this mosque in somewhere like Doha, you'd say wow it's nice.

I'm Muslim, I ain't saying that to show off, I usually don't feel a need to say it, I'm just saying it so people don't think I'm a nimby 😂
But anyway, I really don't like mosques with fake minarets, if they aren't going to use the minaret it shouldn't be there. The first mosques in Islamic history had no minarets, they used to call people to prayer from the rooftops, I think fake minarets are tacky.

I take issue with overly expensive mosques, with expensive interiors, when the Muslim world is, let's be honest, on its knees in a lot of places. I take issue with kids in Gambia or Bangladesh drinking dirty water while us lot have glittery mosques. I don't know who paid for it, who donated towards it, whether it's the Sauds or the Emiratis or rich Gujarati businessmen, I just know that it's excessive and we aren't taught to be excessive in Islam, quite the opposite.

Anyway, whatever, I shan't be praying in it anyway. Different wrapper, same old filling. Gave up hope of finding somewhere to accommodate my unorthodoxy long ago.

We’ve needed a western crossing of the Ribble for so long now. The bottleneck at the Penwortham/Riversway flyover is horrendous during rush hour. Cutting out the Ashton and Docks area from the Fylde to South Ribble commuters would go such a long way in alleviating traffic in that part of town.

As @pnewortham has mentioned the plan was for the M65 to continue onwards to meet the missing junction of the M55 where the new Western Distributor will now meet it instead.

But that’s no longer possible now. So ideally the Western Distributor needs to meet the Blackpool Road at Lea and then continue over the river to link traffic to the Penwortham Booths roundabout, maybe somewhere around Howick.
In fact, in another fascinating pub quiz question, the river crossing plans not only pre-dated the M65 (1981), but also the M55 too (1975). And that's evidenced in the M55 being built with junctions 1, 3 & 4.

It was always the 'plan' to build a junction 2 for the river crossing.

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed with the design.

As an architectural work, it's nice, the main building looks very cutting edge. If you saw this mosque in somewhere like Doha, you'd say wow it's nice.

I'm Muslim, I ain't saying that to show off, I usually don't feel a need to say it, I'm just saying it so people don't think I'm a nimby 😂
But anyway, I really don't like mosques with fake minarets, if they aren't going to use the minaret it shouldn't be there. The first mosques in Islamic history had no minarets, they used to call people to prayer from the rooftops, I think fake minarets are tacky.

I take issue with overly expensive mosques, with expensive interiors, when the Muslim world is, let's be honest, on its knees in a lot of places. I take issue with kids in Gambia or Bangladesh drinking dirty water while us lot have glittery mosques. I don't know who paid for it, who donated towards it, whether it's the Sauds or the Emiratis or rich Gujarati businessmen, I just know that it's excessive and we aren't taught to be excessive in Islam, quite the opposite.

Anyway, whatever, I shan't be praying in it anyway. Different wrapper, same old filling. Gave up hope of finding somewhere to accommodate my unorthodoxy long ago.
I did wonder that. The fella would have to shout pretty loud from the top of that minaret to reach his nearest audience.

Are any minarets in this country used for that purpose, or all purely decorative? (Are there any minarets in this country?? Haven't got a clue)

I did wonder that. The fella would have to shout pretty loud from the top of that minaret to reach his nearest audience.

Are any minarets in this country used for that purpose, or all purely decorative? (Are there any minarets in this country?? Haven't got a clue)

There are a couple in London that are allowed by law to call the azan aloud, I think the East London Mosque and possibly London Central Mosque but could be wrong on the latter. Most mosques have minarets here, aside from the original mosques that are usually terraced houses bought in the 70s and 80s. I don't actually think people go all the way to the top, but instead there's a little room, they call the azan through a mic and the loudspeakers are attached to the minaret itself. May be a different system in place in the Muslim world and places like Bosnia, Chechnya and Kosovo.

There are a couple in London that are allowed by law to call the azan aloud, I think the East London Mosque and possibly London Central Mosque but could be wrong on the latter. Most mosques have minarets here, aside from the original mosques that are usually terraced houses bought in the 70s and 80s. I don't actually think people go all the way to the top, but instead there's a little room, they call the azan through a mic and the loudspeakers are attached to the minaret itself. May be a different system in place in the Muslim world and places like Bosnia, Chechnya and Kosovo.
It'll turn into the battle of Broughton.

The Harman Kardon speakers of the minaret vs. the bells of the parish church. Within about 20 yards of each other.