PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Mental health at work

I'm on a mental health first aid at work course next week, just wondering if anybody on here has done this and what I should expect to learn on the course.

Not done one myself but as someone who has suffered/suffers with it, and seen others suffering with it in silence, that it's about the ability to be able to ask for help and the resources your company can offer(whether through outside organisations or through internal schemes/departments), and mostly like the adverts say, that it's ok to not be ok and talk to people without fear of recrimination and get the support and time you need. As a course I guess it's tricky to cover loads as every situation will be different. Are you attending as a manager or just as a volunteer for example?

Kudos for doing it though, need more people taking these sort of steps to help people out

Not done one myself but as someone who has suffered/suffers with it, and seen others suffering with it in silence, that it's about the ability to be able to ask for help and the resources your company can offer(whether through outside organisations or through internal schemes/departments), and mostly like the adverts say, that it's ok to not be ok and talk to people without fear of recrimination and get the support and time you need. As a course I guess it's tricky to cover loads as every situation will be different. Are you attending as a manager or just as a volunteer for example?

Kudos for doing it though, need more people taking these sort of steps to help people out
Great post Jake ?

I'm doing as a volunteer after I was asked by my line manager if I was interested. I've heard they try and talk about everything in the 2 day course.

I'm on a mental health first aid at work course next week, just wondering if anybody on here has done this and what I should expect to learn on the course.

I used to send staff along to the MHFA certification courses (they were volunteers not press ganged). Some of them were also FAW certified too. We took the view that we needed to have colleagues qualified in both areas wherever possible. It was a 2 day course, I don't know whether it still is. However, it proved to be a very useful provision to have in place for the well being of staff.

I suspect it won't be anything too heavy as you won't be qualified to "treat" anyone, in much the same way as physical first aid. It will likely be about triaging, making sure there are appropriate spaces for people to discuss things, and referral pathways in place. Good luck. It's great to see companies taking mental health seriously.

Just completed the two day course. Some of it was a bit heavy, but really I am just the first contact for a person to talk to and try and help them in the right direction. A really good and interesting course