PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Miley Tunnel

@ 309ft St Walburghes spire is worth a climb although not on the outside as Fred Dib did! The view of Town & beyond is excellent.
Entry is up a very slim spiral 1 way stone staircase barely passable in places so if you're of large persuasion think on.
Hopefully I'd just about make it up providing I don't put on any more "lockdown fat".

Remember the days. I was 13 years old. Took a ride down Howick Cross Lane to the river. Ships were passing in the high tide to Preston Dock. Poop, poop! on the ship's horn as they passed us. We waved back. It was a long ride along the banks to the end of the river at the Douglas. The Asland lamp stood proud. We were at the end of the world. Silence. Nothing. Shear bliss. Then a Curlew cried overhead. Next, a Skylark! If you ever want to be away from anything and everything, take a walk along the Ribble westwards from Howick Cross Lane.

Peace.

Remember the days. I was 13 years old. Took a ride down Howick Cross Lane to the river. Ships were passing in the high tide to Preston Dock. Poop, poop! on the ship's horn as they passed us. We waved back. It was a long ride along the banks to the end of the river at the Douglas. The Asland lamp stood proud. We were at the end of the world. Silence. Nothing. Shear bliss. Then a Curlew cried overhead. Next, a Skylark! If you ever want to be away from anything and everything, take a walk along the Ribble westwards from Howick Cross Lane.

Peace.
I used to love the fact that you were walking across a field and you could see the ships' funnels 'floating' above the raised riverbank. I would call it a dyke but I'm not sure if that's allowed these days.

It appears as though they have all been converted to other things, storage for farming equipment, a vets etc. Would have been cool to see them though.
Those you can still see beside the vets with the mast on top are apparently the hub of all Preston’s CCTV

Anyone remember the tale of Bannister Doll? 😆
There’s a ghost story based on Miley tunnel and the Bannister Doll which I read not long ago. It’s a book written by AJ Hartley which you can get on Kindle. It’s an OK story with a twist, I really enjoyed it though tbh mainly because it‘s based in Preston.

Sneaked into Camelot theme park a few years back but think all the rides have gone now. Was nostalgic as fuck being in there.

Still had the jousting stand where you ate your butties. Better than the stands at Bloomfield Rd that.
Always wanted to have a gander in here since its closure.

We used to walk up there when we were kids, early 90s and the whole place was creepy as fuck.

I bet it was a horrible place back in the very early days when mental health wasn’t understood.
Had a very distant relative who was confined to Whittingham Hospital back when it was fully operational. I'm talking decades ago.

The family accounts are very grim.

Had a very distant relative who was confined to Whittingham Hospital back when it was fully operational. I'm talking decades ago.

The family accounts are very grim.
Once new a youngish lady from the pubs round the brig, she'd spent some time in Whittingham after suffering a massive breakdown, the tales she told me reminded me of that scene with agent Starling and Migs in the Silence of the Lambs.