MLB 2020

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
No teams from the West in that list (y). That, in itself, is somewhat surprising with the upsurge in cases in California, Texas, and Arizona.
I suspect that this season will be written off soon, and if not by the end, it will have been rendered as some kind of comedy season.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Don't know if you saw in the news that there's been a large incidence of heart attacks in the Maryland area at the weekend after the Os went though the first week of the new season over .500.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Here's a story I didn't know - does anyone know from this tweet?

The Bartman Incident https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident

It came up because the Mariners (the A's are in Seattle) put a cut out of Bartman in the seat area where the incident happened and the A's put out the tweet. It doesn't have anything to do with Seattle or Oakland but I think the Mariner's were just being a bit provocative with their cut outs!!

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron

It came up because the Mariners (the A's are in Seattle) put a cut out of Bartman in the seat area where the incident happened and the A's put out the tweet. It doesn't have anything to do with Seattle or Oakland but I think the Mariner's were just being a bit provocative with their cut outs!!
It was a playoff game at Wrigley Field in 2003....

I can't fathom why Seattle are involved.

Sepp Blatter

Lord of Geeks
Patron

Rang a bell somewhere in the back of my mind:

Have to say, reading that wiki page, Bartman showed a lot of dignity by turning down the chance to make a lot of money from it - and the Cubs showed genuine class by sending him a Championship ring.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Several MLB teams elected to fill some stadium seats with cardboard cutouts in the absence of fans, and those that have done so have decided to have some fun with the practice.
The Seattle Mariners debuted their cutouts over the weekend at T-Mobile Park. Among those in the seats are Jeffrey Maier and Steve Bartman.
Maier and Bartman are infamous for grabbing balls that may have been in play during huge moments in playoff games. Maier cost the Baltimore Orioles in 1996 against the New York Yankees, while Bartman’s name is so well-known due to his role in the Chicago Cubs’ 2003 NLCS defeat. The Mariners even took care to put them both in seats approximating where their respective incidents took place.
The Mariners aren’t the only team making creative use of cutouts, and frankly, there’s no reason for them not to at this point.

* Steve Bartman has one more World Series ring than the entire Mariners franchise after the Chicago Cubs gave him one for their 2016 efforts.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
It's an interesting discussion point. My thoughts are that fans shouldn't be trying to catch a ball that might be caught by a fielder. In the Bartman case there was clearly a chance that it could be caught.

That said, that he got blamed for the Cubs not getting to the World Series is ridiculous. There was the rest of this game for which he was not responsible, not to mention all the other games in the series that the Cubs should have won. It's like Bournemouth trying to blame Hawkeye for the fact that they got relegated - nothing to do with the fact that they lost a shit load of games throughout the season.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
a baseball player holding a bat on a field

The Philadelphia Phillies reported no new positive test results for COVID-19 and will travel to New York to play the Yankees on Monday night, according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.
The Phillies have gone four consecutive days without a positive test result after being forced to isolate following their season-opening series with the Miami Marlins. During that series, one coach and one clubhouse attendant reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 after coming into contact with the Marlins.
The Marlins, who were reportedly cleared to travel to Baltimore to begin a series with the Orioles on Tuesday, also had no new positive test results Monday, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman.
A COVID-19 outbreak infected 21 members of Miami's traveling party. The infected members of the Marlins were bused to South Florida, where they will remain in quarantine.

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Jays kept things pretty close last night.

Then the game started and they lost 10-1.
Remember the first two places in the division go through automatically this season - the Jays and the O's are tied for second spot. I've written to the MLB and agreed that if they are tied at the end of regular season then it will be a fight between you and Essex to determine who goes through :ROFLMAO:

OP
jcfartpants

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
At the risk of jinxing it, the A's are now rolling along having won the last five and are 8-4, .667.

Red Sox not going well - it's early doors I know but in the shortened season you can't afford to miss out at the start.