PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

• We have been advised by our hosts there will be a period of downtime between 20:00 - 23:00 BST on Friday 14th June for server improvements.

PNE Online and PNE Flags will be unavailable for various periods during this time.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Monarchy

Should the monarchy be abolished?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regardless

-
Patron
Should Charles be the last king? Fourteen days to vote. Maybe we can reset after a period and see if any opinions change.

FcSlSTDWIAAs_Zr

Should Charles be the last king? Fourteen days to vote. Maybe we can reset after a period and see if any opinions change.

I'd abolish it if all it's wealth and estates where poured back into a caring state in order to help those that need it... In reality we have parliament with all the clout that I would happily abolish tomorrow so I voted no... Unlike politicians they aren't doing any harm...

And to be clear , I'm just referring to the direct dodgy " german " line of descent :).... The hangers on and clingons should be abolished tomorrow.

I'm not for constitutional monarchies, we should either have one that's absolute or none at all.

I'm not saying I want someone like the House of Saud who have people executed for daft reasons, but I do think monarchs should have the power to hold people to account. I would like a monarch that has an opinion and intervenes.
My one big criticism is that we had a prime minister who badly lied to the public and was let off the hook. A king of queen should have stood up for their people. A king or queen should not just be a tourist attraction.

So, I've voted yes, because the reality is the monarchy we have now is going to become smaller and refined. It isn't going to become greater or stronger in its influence. Therefore in my opinion we may as well have a republic. Not because I'm pro-republican, I just don't think constitutional monarchies have any value.

I answered that, in part here.

I quite like the idea of having the ability to elect a head of state, just as i like the idea of a 2nd chamber having to be fully elected.

I will expand a little further and say that the version of democracy, we have here, isnt fit for purpose. When we have a head of state that is hereditry and a Prime minister that has been elected by under 100k it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out the people of this country are being failed.

Nobody should be in power without being elected to be there by a majority of the electorate of this country.

That will take a lot of reform but i dont see any desire for changes to be made. We remain happy to have people who we can doff our caps to.

I'd abolish it if all it's wealth and estates where poured back into a caring state in order to help those that need it... In reality we have parliament with all the clout that I would happily abolish tomorrow so I voted no... Unlike politicians they aren't doing any harm...

And to be clear , I'm just referring to the direct dodgy " german " line of descent :).... The hangers on and clingons should be abolished tomorrow.
I agree with this.

Having researched constitutional monarchies further, I would probably retract what I said. Our constitutional monarchy is very different to other constitutional monarchies, which at least do get involved with things.

FcSlSTDWIAAs_Zr

Inspirational man, was Connolly. Ended up as something of a martyr, too - his execution caused a shift in attitudes, in Ireland, of course, but even among the British public.

And replaced with what?............. If nothing is your answer then fair enough.

Im not sure what their purpose is if it isnt just to guarantee that nothing will change. Seeing May, Cameron and the gibbon lined up together today looking healthy and at ease with their world made me sick to the stomach.