PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Monarchy

Should the monarchy be abolished?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's something very wrong with many of us plebs in this Country....If they were walking past the end of my street I'd have a lie in..
I remember back in the 70’s I used to work with a bloke who had a mild interest in North End …….

One day I said to him “ are you going on Deepdale tomorrow ? “

To which he replied “ am I buggery, if they were playing in my back garden, I’d shut the curtains “

I must admit, it did tickle me…….

I don’t understand what is illegal in that.
Apparently the policeman (notice how polite I was there ;)) explained that before the video started. Maybe then the head cam footage should be released, it is after all in the public interest to understand why it was illegal.

Should Charles be the last king? Fourteen days to vote. Maybe we can reset after a period and see if any opinions change.

Maybe this thread be rejuvenated. And maybe reset the vote some time in the coming weeks. In case we do that, here’s the result from Sept ‘22 - shortly after the Queen’s death.

1683311587834.png

FcSlSTDWIAAs_Zr

That’s one way to choose to frame it, if you are of a Republican persuasion.

Monarchy is obviously not “fair” and harks back to tyrannical days. But if you Republicans look at the three biggest republics in today’s world (China, Russia, USA) - could you point to wonderful freedoms and fairness that their Republican systems bring?

That’s one way to choose to frame it, if you are of a Republican persuasion.

Monarchy is obviously not “fair” and harks back to tyrannical days. But if you Republicans look at the three biggest republics in today’s world (China, Russia, USA) - could you point to wonderful freedoms and fairness that their Republican systems bring?
It doesnt have to be a Presidential Republic, there could also be a parliamentary republic where, like the monarchy, the head of state would be just a ceremonial figure but one voted into their position.

Germany, of course, would be considered a successful example of this system.

It doesnt have to be a Presidential Republic, there could also be a parliamentary republic where, like the monarchy, the head of state would be just a ceremonial figure but one voted into their position.

That is the system we have here - the president is elected by parliament and there is very rarely any controversy or drama. Ireland has an elected president and they have had some pretty good ones in recent years.

Well on this forum, I have seen a good deal of criticism of that country- but I think it’s clear it’s a reasonable example of a decent republic. Formed a few years after the war, in modern times. A ceremonial president - analogous to a ceremonial monarch.

Surely a country can evolve its monarchy to create a very very analogous system? Because that’s what already happened in the UK - arguably some decades before Germany created their analogous system - though it’s not quite as black and white as that

Broadly speaking, I think many Republicans have such a gut reaction against hereditary monarchy - that there is almost no discussion of pragmatic pros and cons that can even be entertained though.

Well on this forum, I have seen a good deal of criticism of that country- but I think it’s clear it’s a reasonable example of a decent republic. Formed a few years after the war, in modern times. A ceremonial president - analogous to a ceremonial monarch.

Surely a country can evolve its monarchy to create a very very analogous system? Because that’s what already happened in the UK - arguably some decades before Germany created their analogous system - though it’s not quite as black and white as that

Broadly speaking, I think many Republicans have such a gut reaction against hereditary monarchy - that there is almost no discussion of pragmatic pros and cons that can even be entertained though.
Gut reaction or liberalism? The latter is where my opposition to monarchies derives from.

EDIT: Posted just before I read your addition!

Genuine question, why do so many people detest the monarchy? I believe last year it cost £1.29 per person in the UK to fund the Sovereign Grant. I appreciate not everyone in the UK pays tax so call it £2.50 per year to the tax payer, so surely it can't be a financial reason to hate the monarchy. The Prince's Trust and the Duke of Edinburgh's schemes are amazing and really changes the lives of thousands of people.
I would regard myself as someone who respects the monarchy and is proud of the history. It's a big part of my identity of being British. It brings thousands of tourists of all races and religions from all over the world to visit the UK.
On the other hand, I wouldn't expect anyone to be forced to hero worship the Royal Family. There is plenty going on in the world that I find staggering but it doesn't directly effect me or my family, so I just get on with it.
So to sum it up, I reckon the UK are better off with the monarchy than without.

Genuine question, why do so many people detest the monarchy? I believe last year it cost £1.29 per person in the UK to fund the Sovereign Grant. I appreciate not everyone in the UK pays tax so call it £2.50 per year to the tax payer, so surely it can't be a financial reason to hate the monarchy. The Prince's Trust and the Duke of Edinburgh's schemes are amazing and really changes the lives of thousands of people.
I would regard myself as someone who respects the monarchy and is proud of the history. It's a big part of my identity of being British. It brings thousands of tourists of all races and religions from all over the world to visit the UK.
On the other hand, I wouldn't expect anyone to be forced to hero worship the Royal Family. There is plenty going on in the world that I find staggering but it doesn't directly effect me or my family, so I just get on with it.
So to sum it up, I reckon the UK are better off with the monarchy than without.
I don't detest them (apart from one) and actually had a lot of time for the queen - it is just that a hereditary monarchy does not match with my political and philosophical beliefs. Others disagree and that's cool.

I don't detest them (apart from one) and actually had a lot of time for the queen - it is just that a hereditary monarchy does not match with my political and philosophical beliefs. Others disagree and that's cool.
I just think there is far worst things going on in the world for people to get their knickers in twist over. Organised religion of all strains does more damage and is more outdated than the monarchy, but you don't see the same purple haired mob protesting

I just think there is far worst things going on in the world for people to get their knickers in twist over. Organised religion of all strains does more damage and is more outdated than the monarchy, but you don't see the same purple haired mob protesting
No something I feel passionately enough about to protest (having enough hair to dye purple would be nice!) - although I reserve the British right to use sarcasm and dark humour to poke fun at the royals :D

No something I feel passionately enough about to protest (having enough hair to dye purple would be nice!) - although I reserve the British right to use sarcasm and dark humour to poke fun at the royals :D
Taking the piss out of anyone and everyone is another trait that makes me proud to be British, although it has got me in trouble plenty of times with the enemy. Spending my early working life as an electrician on various construction sites around the UK, my humour is sometimes not appreciated by the wife

The good news this morning from Lt Col Peregrine Ponsenby is that the horses are on awfully good form. Hurrah!!