PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Morecambe & Wise or Monty Python?

Dirty Harry

Patron
Read an article today about a lost TV tape in which Eric n Ernie claimed Monty Python bored them stiff and wasn't funny. Michael Palin said he was disappointed to hear this. I always loved Morecambe & Wise and found Monty Python too 'Oxbridge'. I've never even liked the Python films and hate it when people quote lines from them, IE 'hes a very naughty boy' etc but appreciate they were hugely popular. Who did you
prefer?

Morecambe and Wise always made me smile.
It was a mixed bag with Monty Python. One week i would be in stitches of laughter and the next week I couldn't raise a smile.
I was a teenager when Monty Python first came on the scene and perhaps thinking back some of the jokes probably went over my head.
There is a place for both types of humour though.

As a kid... I dont know why but the bloke running from far away taking ages to reach the camera then just saying "its"...
Leading into the opening credits made me laugh... And DPGumby.... Little things like that made me laugh at MP..

Morecambe and Wise when Peter Cushing never got paid every Christmas show made me laugh too...

Both funny in different ways

Read an article today about a lost TV tape in which Eric n Ernie claimed Monty Python bored them stiff and wasn't funny. Michael Palin said he was disappointed to hear this. I always loved Morecambe & Wise and found Monty Python too 'Oxbridge'. Samuel Hemming never even liked the Python films and hate it when people quote lines from them, IE 'hes a very naughty boy' etc but appreciate they were hugely popular. Who did you
prefer?

wait ‘till Biggus Dickus hears of this

Morecambe and Wise always made me smile.
It was a mixed bag with Monty Python. One week i would be in stitches of laughter and the next week I couldn't raise a smile.
I was a teenager when Monty Python first came on the scene and perhaps thinking back some of the jokes probably went over my head.
There is a place for both types of humour though.
We're probably a similar age. And that's exactly how I feel.

The Life of Brian is an absolutely superb film, that stands the test of time. I guess hugely innovative (though I wasn't old enough to judge). I do remember it being very controversial and I'm sure my mum didn't approve... and I probably didn't see it until at least 2 or 3 years after it was released. The Holy Grail was had some really very funny bits in it, though not hanging together as much. The Meaning of Life was much more like the TV series of being very hit and miss.

M&W... used to love watching it with my mum... and as you say, always made me smile and could be belly laughs too.

If I had to choose... it's Eric & Ernie (I think) but my life would be a tiny bit poorer for that choice!

Read an article today about a lost TV tape in which Eric n Ernie claimed Monty Python bored them stiff and wasn't funny. Michael Palin said he was disappointed to hear this. I always loved Morecambe & Wise and found Monty Python too 'Oxbridge'. I've never even liked the Python films and hate it when people quote lines from them, IE 'hes a very naughty boy' etc but appreciate they were hugely popular. Who did you
prefer?

Wasn't keen on either H ... BlackAdder and Yes Minister for me. :)

Eric and Ernie all day long for me.

The Life Of Brian is brilliant but apart from that, I don’t find Monty Python funny at all.

Monty Python for me - have all the films on DVD*

* Disclaimer - I have never seen anything of Morecambe and Wise - they may be infinitely better without me knowing it 😊

Monty python were funny in places, Morecambe and wise were fantastic, I love the breakfast sketch with the stripper music and some of the famous people they had on all having a laugh. The Peter Cushing one was absolute gold

Eric and Ernie all day long for me.

The Life Of Brian is brilliant but apart from that, I don’t find Monty Python funny at all.
^^^^^^^^^^^Exactly all of this.
I could watch pretty much anything M&W and find it funny.
The Life Of Brian was genius with so many hilarious scenes but pretty much anything else they did always left me a bit flat.

I don't know why but of all the M&W sketches, the one I find the funniest of all is just a small part when Eric gets out of bed, opens the curtains and you hear a Police car speeding by with its siren going and Eric turns round to Ernie and says " he won't sell much ice cream going at that speed".
Simple but cracks me up every time.🤣🤣

We're probably a similar age. And that's exactly how I feel.

The Life of Brian is an absolutely superb film, that stands the test of time. I guess hugely innovative (though I wasn't old enough to judge). I do remember it being very controversial and I'm sure my mum didn't approve... and I probably didn't see it until at least 2 or 3 years after it was released. The Holy Grail was had some really very funny bits in it, though not hanging together as much. The Meaning of Life was much more like the TV series of being very hit and miss.

M&W... used to love watching it with my mum... and as you say, always made me smile and could be belly laughs too.

If I had to choose... it's Eric & Ernie (I think) but my life would be a tiny bit poorer for that choice!
If I remember correctly Life Of Brian was banned by Preston Council at the time of its release (ridiculous) so I had to go to Chorley to see it.
I enjoyed the Holy Grail film as well with its killer bunny rabbits, Knights that say neek etc.
In Morecambe and Wise I always remember a guy wanting to play the mouth organ at the end of the show but there was never enough time.
Can't remember what he was called but maybe yourself or someone else will remember.
Make a good pub quiz question I suppose.