PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Music Preston have run out to

Just watched that video of the 5-0 win over QPR. I can’t remember why but I remember as a 6 year old absolutely fucking adoring Brian McBride and always wanted him to do really well later in his career when he went to Fulham. What a player.

Brian McBride rented my old house off my Mum and Dad when he arrived at Deepdale. I met him, he was a nice guy.

The way I view stuff like this is that it preserves culture. I'm doing an english lit degree at the minute and mostly do contemporary stuff because if you want to learn about people like us (Northern, working class) it's only really been turned into fiction and studied over the last century or so, before that it's all posh cunts invading places and getting married and having tea. I'd love to know as much as possible about the match day experience in the Invincibles era, how normal working Prestonians spent their Saturday afternoons and what the occasion was like around that all conquering team, but because academia wasn't bothered about it there's no way to. Whatever the study is focused on I think it's great that (hopefully) in 200 years someone will be able to go into the archive and learn more about what football's like now. I think the kind of music that's played is a really interesting way of looking at that and really helps get the vibe of the occasion. On the face of it snooker and darts are very similar sports but in reality they're vastly different experiences and the music at the two events really sum that up
Good comment, I was going to post something regarding the importance of archiving but you said it for me. People's history is very important and can often provide an anecdote for the present. For instance if the Nazis had won the second world war no doubt the holocaust would have been erased from history, how useful it is now to reflect upon the Nazis rise to power to help us understand current political events. In contrast the Spanish civil war was won by the fascists and the atrocities of the Francoists were covered, events were re-written and the 'pact of forgetting' all combined in denying the victims of the war from grieving properly.

Good comment, I was going to post something regarding the importance of archiving but you said it for me. People's history is very important and can often provide an anecdote for the present. For instance if the Nazis had won the second world war no doubt the holocaust would have been erased from history, how useful it is now to reflect upon the Nazis rise to power to help us understand current political events. In contrast the Spanish civil war was won by the fascists and the atrocities of the Francoists were covered, events were re-written and the 'pact of forgetting' all combined in denying the victims of the war from grieving properly.
Didn't mean to say anecdote-antidote was what I intended-although bot might make sense.

Thanks everyone for your info, reminisces and opinions. It's interesting and invaluable in terms of this project.

For those wondering why Uni researchers are investigating this, (and suggesting it's a waste of tax-payers money ;), then I'm happy to reassure you that this project is not funded by any sort of public money. As per my sports statues work (sportingstatues.com) and our football shirts research, it has involved very little money, and where some has been required, it's funded from statistics training courses I have run. Neither are these football-related projects my day job - nor Joe's or Nick's - it's essentially a hobby project, with both academic and hopefully some more populist outputs. We are doing it cos' we all love football, and are curious about the culture and history of the game, and what it can say about wider society. My day job is doing the statistics for far more orthodox and obviously worthy projects to do with the workplace, health, well-being - and training people to analyse data properly. Nick is a teacher and Joe has just finished his undergraduate degree.

In terms of the aims of/ideas behind this particular project, there's the what and when - the preserving history angle in terms of the music used, when it changed - and also the why... we're keen to see how changes in style, type of music used relate to a club's status, wider music fashions, the wider fashionability of football, how clubs have attempted to commodify the match going experience, the balance of localism and globalisation.

cheers
Chris Stride, University of Sheffield

I don't think anyone would deny that research that attempts to explain/explore/prevent genocide is of value to society. IMO some of the most important psychological research i.e. Milgram/Tajfel fell directly out of the second world war. I don't think this has the same "value" but nonetheless, the intended aims of this project as described in @Joeheadland last post do point to value in terms of understanding how football has changed, and how to preserve its cultural heritage, which may be useful for those running the game.

I don't think anyone would deny that research that attempts to explain/explore/prevent genocide is of value to society. IMO some of the most important psychological research i.e. Milgram/Tajfel fell directly out of the second world war. I don't think this has the same "value" but nonetheless, the intended aims of this project as described in @Joeheadland last post do point to value in terms of understanding how football has changed, and how to preserve its cultural heritage, which may be useful for those running the game.
I guess I used 2 extreme and contrasting examples to show how important detailed archiving of the present is. Nobody can predict how useful or of how much interest it will have in the future.

I guess I used 2 extreme and contrasting examples to show how important detailed archiving of the present is. Nobody can predict how useful or of how much interest it will have in the future.
Not in football music, or football shirt design no, I agree, but in the bigger issues, I guess you can predict they are likely to recur and therefore the research has value.

My dad played in Brindle Band, they played at North End for 13 seasons, up to Sir Tom retiring and the season after, he has confirmed they Played Margie when then team ran out onto the pitch, but also when it was an FA Cup tie, they would play Margie,followed by Keep right on to the end of the road.
Before a game they would march round the pitch, weather permitting and they would also again play at half time,the band major would throw his his band major mace high in the air in front of the packed Town End and catch it to huge cheers.
Perhaps another little known fact is that for a few seasons they also played at Ewood Park, North End would be playing away when Blackburn had a home game.
Also my dad's cousin who played in the band travelled to the 1954 Cup Final against West Brom and took and smuggled in to the ground his cornet, apparently you could hear him on the wireless(radio) playing Margie as the teams came out of the tunnel.
What a great story... Cheers Wisey , i like the bit about your Dads cousin and the Cornet !!! (y)

What a great story... Cheers Wisey , i like the bit about your Dads cousin and the Cornet !!! (y)
I spoke to my dad about it the other day, he said they had one of the first TV's and watched the game live and you could hear his cousin playing Margie as clear as a bell on the TV.
He asked if I could find it on that googly thing, I have looked but the only coverage coming out on to the pitch is from Pathe news with commentary and you can't here any cornet playing.😔

Last edited:

Lots of things have been covered up by people who would angrily deny being 'Nazis' or 'fascists' and who would claim to represent the 'people' e.g. the famine in the Ukraine in the early 1930s deliberately engineered by the Soviet regime. Frankly when you hear the term 'people's' as a description of something you can usually assume it means the exact opposite.