Votes: 96 36.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 63 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
McCarthy. He’d be better than the 2 you mentioned imo. Shite football though
Thing is, who's going to come in and get us playing good, attractive football given the financial constraints ?

We're a physical side. Bar one or two players, we don't have the technical ability that other sides have, and the quality of our strikers for this level is appalling. That isn't going to change unless we see heavy investment into the squad, which is highly unlikely.

Whoever comes in will approach things the same way Grayson did, and the same way Neil has done at times. They'll try to make us hard to beat and build from there.

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Firmly believe Gallagher will be our next manager.
It will have to be someone who is happy to work with a sub standard championship budget, who won't rock the boat when he gets his 4th/5th choice target, and is prepared to accept Peter Ridsdale as our chief scout.
Any reputable manager would see the role as professional suicide, especially with a fan base of whom the majority want their manager sacked for failing to make the play offs.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
McCarthy over Paul Cook and Karl Robinson? You’re joking. I know they sound poor but they actually play alright football.

McCarthy’s tactics aren’t about 15 years too old, hoof ball central. More than we hoof it now too.
He got an Ipswich side into the top 6 on a very small budget in 2015. He has also won promotion out of this division twice, and has managed at international level.

He is more qualified than the likes of Cook and Robinson to do a good job here.

As for attractive football when have we ever played it and looked like challenging for promotion ? When we made the play-offs under Davies and Irvine we were hard to beat first and foremost.

oliharg

First Team
He got an Ipswich side into the top 6 on a very small budget in 2015. He has also won promotion out of this division twice, and has managed at international level.

He is more qualified than the likes of Cook and Robinson to do a good job here.

As for attractive football when have we ever played it and looked like challenging for promotion ? When we made the play-offs under Davies and Irvine we were hard to beat first and foremost.
First half of the season we played attractive football and looked like challenging for promotion. Then we fell off. As always.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
First half of the season we played attractive football and looked like challenging for promotion. Then we fell off. As always.
Was it really that attractive, or was it just winning football ?

Yes we had a few high scoring wins, but we also had several narrow wins with combative football, direct and on the counter.

No manager is going to come in, working on our budget, and get us playing teams off the park every week at Championship level and scoring more goals than much higher spending clubs.

FootballcrazyP_

Crazy Bird Man
Patron
Firmly believe Gallagher will be our next manager.
It will have to be someone who is happy to work with a sub standard championship budget, who won't rock the boat when he gets his 4th/5th choice target, and is prepared to accept Peter Ridsdale as our chief scout.
Any reputable manager would see the role as professional suicide, especially with a fan base of whom the majority want their manager sacked for failing to make the play offs.
I remember people saying this before Grayson, we got Grayson, then again before Neil, I was shocked we got Neil. And whilst I feel he's taken PNE as far as he can, I feel he will do well elsewhere. Neil knew the Budget restraints, he knows it now. Regardless of what I think about his tactics and decisions. he does not seem like a Manager that would allow the owner to do what the owner has been accused of. When Neil says he did not get the player he wants, just maybe the wage demand was to much and/or the asking price was. If Neil was unhappy with Hemmings, he would be long gone, he's no push over. FFS Neil convinced Hemmings to buy Sinclair, who honestly expected that? Moving forward, I am still happy for Neil to prove me wrong, still expect him to get PNE going again with a few new additions, but I don't feel he will make the Playoffs. If Neil does leave, good Managers will apply and I am sue Hemmings with employ the best one. Apart from Westley I don't think Hemmings has done to bad and Even Westley came on the back of a good reputation, Sandy it went drastically wrong.

I bet there are managers out there that will see what Neil has done and believe they can take us to the next level. Good reputable Managers.

PS - I like the fact that Neil is now talking about the Strike force and that its a problem, felt its an area he has ignored in the past.

Kathryn

Advisor to the Owner
Was it really that attractive, or was it just winning football ?

Yes we had a few high scoring wins, but we also had several narrow wins with combative football, direct and on the counter.

No manager is going to come in, working on our budget, and get us playing teams off the park every week at Championship level and scoring more goals than much higher spending clubs.
It was more about when we scored our first goal. If we scored early we usually went on to win, often by a decent margin. Where we failed to score early we usually struggled.

Schemer

Advisor to the Owner
McCarthy over Paul Cook and Karl Robinson? You’re joking. I know they sound poor but they actually play alright football.

McCarthy’s tactics aren’t about 15 years too old, hoof ball central. More than we hoof it now too.
Many Wigan fans weren't happy with the football under Cook.

I remember people saying this before Grayson, we got Grayson, then again before Neil, I was shocked we got Neil. And whilst I feel he's taken PNE as far as he can, I feel he will do well elsewhere. Neil knew the Budget restraints, he knows it now. Regardless of what I think about his tactics and decisions. he does not seem like a Manager that would allow the owner to do what the owner has been accused of. When Neil says he did not get the player he wants, just maybe the wage demand was to much and/or the asking price was. If Neil was unhappy with Hemmings, he would be long gone, he's no push over. FFS Neil convinced Hemmings to buy Sinclair, who honestly expected that? Moving forward, I am still happy for Neil to prove me wrong, still expect him to get PNE going again with a few new additions, but I don't feel he will make the Playoffs. If Neil does leave, good Managers will apply and I am sue Hemmings with employ the best one. Apart from Westley I don't think Hemmings has done to bad and Even Westley came on the back of a good reputation, Sandy it went drastically wrong.

I bet there are managers out there that will see what Neil has done and believe they can take us to the next level. Good reputable Managers.

PS - I like the fact that Neil is now talking about the Strike force and that its a problem, felt its an area he has ignored in the past.
Absolutely unreal!!

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron

He has done what now????