PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Neil Out?

Neil Out?

• Yes

Votes: 107 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 96 36.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 63 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well it was and how he changed things after it was mentioned Billy Davies had 2 teams in the top 6.

Who knows what will happen this coming season, if the form continues as it has been then there's a good chance we'll be as low down as we were under Simpson.

We lost 4 of the first 9 under Simpson in that following season, in 18/19 under Neil we lost 6 of the first 9. And that was the back of a 7th place finish the previous season with the same manager.
To be fair to AN, he lost Harrop (season) and Maguire (around 6 months) straight away and I am sure we suffered another major injury around that time but I cannot remember who it was (Clarke?).

To be fair to AN, he lost Harrop (season) and Maguire (around 6 months) straight away and I am sure we suffered another major injury around that time but I cannot remember who it was (Clarke?).
Harrop, Bodin, Maguire and Clarke

Plus i think we also had issues where 3 of the defenders on our books were out at various times for the first few weeks

Harrop, Bodin, Maguire and Clarke

Plus i think we also had issues where 3 of the defenders on our books were out at various times for the first few weeks

why do people make excuses for injuries, every club has them, and losing the free scoring Maguire is (lets be honest) not a real issue!!!

why do people make excuses for injuries, every club has them, and losing the free scoring Maguire is (lets be honest) not a real issue!!!

Losing Maguire at the time was a real issue as he had just scored 10 in 24 the season previous.

Don't confuse then with now.

For the record, his goal v Bristol City showed me that he still has the ability, we now need to see this on a more regular basis as I am sure that Seani himself would agree with.

I didn’t even know Harrop was injured. That just shows how we didn’t really miss him. I’m hoping he’s not one of the players who signs a new deal. 24 and still yet to nail down a first team spot.

I'm not making excuses for injuries just highlighting the number.

We did have a very high number that year though which led to a review of the training facilities and methods.

I have said repeatedly, at the time and more recently, that I attributed our poor start in 2018/19 to AN being pissed off at TH for not bringing in the players he wanted and his attitude rubbed off on the players.

I'm not making excuses for injuries just highlighting the number.

We did have a very high number that year though which led to a review of the training facilities and methods.

so do other teams, but harping on about ours makes no difference at all, oh and by the way Maguire is shocking

so do other teams, but harping on about ours makes no difference at all, oh and by the way Maguire is shocking
Maguire looks utterly devoid of confidence and since his hamstring injuries appears to have lost the lightning reactions he had when he first signed.

I'd have no issue with him moving on were he adequately replaced

Maguire looks utterly devoid of confidence and since his hamstring injuries appears to have lost the lightning reactions he had when he first signed.

I'd have no issue with him moving on were he adequately replaced

try just try for a few games playing Sinclair up top with Stockley, replaced immediately.

try just try for a few games playing Sinclair up top with Stockley, replaced immediately.
I don't buy into the whole 2 up top thing, Sinclair is our best finisher but I'd like to see him played on the left cutting in like Robbo did. I think with him, Barky and DJ in the 3 we have 3 players capable of scoring we just need someone up front with the strength to create space in the box and pick up the tap ins.

I don't buy into the whole 2 up top thing, Sinclair is our best finisher but I'd like to see him played on the left cutting in like Robbo did. I think with him, Barky and DJ in the 3 we have 3 players capable of scoring we just need someone up front with the strength to create space in the box and pick up the tap ins.

if you play him wide left Neil will demand he plays like a wing back and tracks back all the time, a complete and utter misuse of his talent and speed.

if you play him wide left Neil will demand he plays like a wing back and tracks back all the time, a complete and utter misuse of his talent and speed.
I don't disagree with that part. Let defenders defend and attackers attack. Defenders should support attack and attackers should support defence but this should not be their key focus

He did, well Harrop was available for the first 13 matches when we barely won a game... but yeah Bodin and Maguire were out though arguably suspensions for Gallagher, Pearson, Ledson and Fisher might have had a bigger impact in that early spell, and lets get it right I much prefer Neil over Simpson, but this started with me saying that anyone can use stats how it suits them....

Simpson had to deal with Mawene being injured in pre season and had to put Chilvers and SSL together as a pairing etc.

Well it was and how he changed things after it was mentioned Billy Davies had 2 teams in the top 6.

Who knows what will happen this coming season, if the form continues as it has been then there's a good chance we'll be as low down as we were under Simpson.

We lost 4 of the first 9 under Simpson in that following season, in 18/19 under Neil we lost 6 of the first 9. And that was the back of a 7th place finish the previous season with the same manager.

But we recovered under Neil in 18/19. After we lost 6 in 9, we lost 1 in 12. By Xmas we were safely in mid-table. Simpson left us one place above the drop in November.

So yeah you can pick any point in time to try to compare Neil to Simpson in a negative light, but it doesn't change the fact that end result is very different. As is the context in which they both worked. Simpson had a prime Nugent at his disposal in 06/07 and an experienced squad that had been in the play-offs 2 years running and fell away. Alex Neil is expected to deliver top 6 with Stockley, Maguire, and a 35 year old Nugent.

There's a reason why Simpson went on to be sacked by the likes of Shrewsbury and Stockport County after leaving North End. Good coach but hopeless manager.