New Combi boiler and upstairs shower

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
OK having the old trusty boiler replaced this coming wednesday.

The old boiler heated water to an upstairs tank, so this will be being removed too.

Now heres the question for anyone in the know.

The upstairs shower basically worked with pressure from the water tank in the loft. Will this continue to work with a combi, which i believe is mains fed, or am I going to have to get a totally new shower system fitted? Its an overbath shower with a mixer tap.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron

The old boiler heated water to an upstairs tank, so this will be being removed too.

The upstairs shower basically worked with pressure from the water tank in the loft. Will this continue to work with a combi, which i believe is mains fed, or am I going to have to get a totally new shower system fitted? Its an overbath shower with a mixer tap.
The people replacing the boiler should be able to give you an answer and a guarantee. If not, find someone else to do the work!

TSR2

Advisor to the Owner

Realistic

usual liker
Patron

Every contraption in your loft will be rendered redundant. The copper tank will be scrapped (worth a few quid you might want to let them have it as a gesture or you might not, not sure of the price of copper). Your shower will now work from the combi (your instant hot water) and mains pressure cold water mixed either in a bar shower or something else depending on the plumber who's doing it for you.

Typical plumber talk is "Who put that tap on?" (meaning the angle position of your tap is crap). Sorry, plumbers, only kidding, "Who fitted that toilet like that ?

OP
raefil

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Every contraption in your loft will be rendered redundant. The copper tank will be scrapped (worth a few quid you might want to let them have it as a gesture or you might not, not sure of the price of copper). Your shower will now work from the combi (your instant hot water) and mains pressure cold water mixed either in a bar shower or something else depending on the plumber who's doing it for you.

Typical plumber talk is "Who put that tap on?" (meaning the angle position of your tap is crap)
Thats what I was thinking.

The mixer fitted to the bath is just a diverter, either to fill the bath or use the shower with temp regulated from the taps

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
Thats what I was thinking.

The mixer fitted to the bath is just a diverter, either to fill the bath or use the shower with temp regulated from the taps
Yes, but that's out dated now of course but it still works. What boiler are you getting ?

TSR2

Advisor to the Owner
Hi Raefil
Had mine done the same time last year same thing, best thing I ever did, don't think you will need to change ,mine was the same and now I have a power shower 😂 you should be OK.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Typical plumber talk** is "Who put that tap on?" (meaning the angle position of your tap is crap). Sorry, plumbers, only kidding, "Who fitted that toilet like that ?

** and always said with a smile...

plumbers-crack-200x300.jpg

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
Worcester bosch, not sure of the model
Right, a good boiler but you need to ask the supplier if the company have solved a problem that occurs with Worcester Bosch, namely a leak from one of the manifolds underneath about every year. They might have sorted the problem but you need to know. If not, choose another. Vaillant seem to be good but don't take my advice, you must decide for yourselves.