New forum features - introducing 2 way ignore.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Fair points.

Maybe everyone should just grow up and display a tad more humility towards each other? Even when disagreeing.

I mean, at the the end of the day (3pm), we are all on the same team.
Never going to happen, JD!

Human nature and you are always going to get people who are passionate about something; posters who don't get on; people who don't always realise how aggressive their posts come across; folk having a bad day (been there!), and those who are, quite simply, snide little trolls.

Throw in lockdown stress and that has magnified the problems.

Sometimes, it is about finding the least worst option because there are no perfect solutions.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Never going to happen, JD!

Human nature and you are always going to get people who are passionate about something; posters who don't get on; people who don't always realise how aggressive their posts come across; folk having a bad day (been there!), and those who are, quite simply, snide little trolls.

Throw in lockdown stress and that has magnified the problems.

Sometimes, it is about finding the least worst option because there are no perfect solutions.

If people want to suggest what they feel would be a decent compromise we can only look and see if the solutions exist or what can be tweaked on what we have. Going by the above it's some form of the original 1 way ignore but with any other caveats i.e. that due to quotes etc. 1 way ignore would still allow the ignorer to see their ignored person responding to their stuff technically(which kind of created the eventual issue)?

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
If people want to suggest what they feel would be a decent compromise we can only look and see if the solutions exist or what can be tweaked on what we have. Going by the above it's some form of the original 1 way ignore but with any other caveats i.e. that due to quotes etc. 1 way ignore would still allow the ignorer to see their ignored person responding to their stuff technically(which kind of created the eventual issue)?
I can't really comment on the two-way ignore thing because it hasn't affected me, afaik.

More of a general comment about human nature and emotions, and how they affect the ebb and flow of forum debates.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
Just a suggestion
Maybe some form of guidelines / suggestions regarding posting
I have some knowledge here of how well that can work.
some people spend their lives interacting through a computer and often have remote teams they may never even see so non verbal communication can be paramount remembering that 70+% of an average human beings communication is verbal.
You write something in absolute honesty and with good genuine intent but it can be interpreted very widely by people - you cannot see any facial recognition or body language as to how your comment or opinion has landed.
Maybe some suggestions without any intention of patronising people that you sign up to such as maybe the use of certain language, personal insults, the ability to log of when feeling aggrieved or clearly when getting into a heated argument etc etc
Possibly a rubbish idea but suggested with good intentions

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Just a suggestion
some people spend their lives interacting through a computer and often have remote teams they may never even see so non verbal communication can be paramount remembering that 70+% of an average human beings communication is verbal.
You write something in absolute honesty and with good genuine intent but it can be interpreted very widely by people - you cannot see any facial recognition or body language as to how your comment or opinion has landed.
Maybe some suggestions without any intention of patronising people that you sign up to such as maybe the use of certain language, personal insults, the ability to log of when feeling aggrieved or clearly when getting into a heated argument etc etc
What are you suggesting Edgy , a people’s charter ??

A code of conduct might be a good shout....

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Just a suggestion
It's one of the paradoxes of forums - you need big personalities and strong opinions to keep debate going and the forum ticking over. That's why FB and Twitter love controversy - it drives traffic.

On the other hand, stronger personalities are harder to police.

I have been on forums where the banhammer comes out for the slightest infringement. They eventually died because all the interesting posters were banned and the forum became meek.

On the other side, unmoderated forums either become echo chambers or everyone leaves because it becomes a mess.

Finding the balance is always difficult for mods.

This forum generally does very well, btw - debates always have diverse opinions and posters are generally pretty respectful (certainly compared to other forums I used in the past!). How to keep that going is the important question.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
It's one of the paradoxes of forums - you need big personalities and strong opinions to keep debate going and the forum ticking over. That's why FB and Twitter love controversy - it drives traffic.

On the other hand, stronger personalities are harder to police.

I have been on forums where the banhammer comes out for the slightest infringement. They eventually died because all the interesting posters were banned and they became meek.

On the other side, unmoderated forums either become echo chambers or everyone leaves because it becomes a mess.

Finding the balance is always difficult for mods.

This forum generally does very well, btw - debates always have diverse opinions and posters are generally pretty respectful (certainly compared to other forums I used in the past!). How to keep that going is the important question.
The only issue I have with your reference to the strong personalities is it’s often the quieter more thoughtful people who are worth the benefit of as when they speak its worth listening to. Yet they often get dominated, shouted over and then disappear
As you say. It’s a difficult line
Hence my suggestion of a charter. Show respect and sometimes take a moment to let information digest and the motivation behind the post

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Just a suggestion

Yeah it's all fair enough, I know exactly what you mean.

Remember this is the forum that managed to generate 2 weeks worth of arguments from the use of emojis. Our non-verbal communications are all over the shop with some users

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
For those of an age I’d like to propose the return of Vic Reeves “wheel of justice”....see how fast the bastard turns.

Fill it with the names of that weeks protagonists and lively subforums and whatever it lands on gets a week in the sin bin

1621858816809.jpeg

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
The only issue I have with your reference to the strong personalities is it’s often the quieter more thoughtful people who are worth the benefit of as when they speak its worth listening to. Yet they often get dominated, shouted over and then disappear
As you say. It’s a difficult line
Hence my suggestion of a charter. Show respect and sometimes take a moment to let information digest and the motivation behind the post
The problem is that quieter, thoughtful people don't always keep debate going. It's the nature of online debate, but controversy fuels discussion. People are much more likely to post when they disagree and are passionate about a subject.

As I said, social media companies know this all too well and have poured money into researching such things.

I don't have a problem with rules and posting guidelines, btw, as long as they are consistent and with clear communication.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
The problem is that quieter, thoughtful people don't always keep debate going. It's the nature of online debate, but controversy fuels discussion. People are much more likely to post when they disagree and are passionate about a subject.

As I said, social media companies know this all too well and have poured money into researching such things.

I don't have a problem with rules and posting guidelines, btw, as long as they are consistent and with clear communication.
Rule 1
People who abide in any location of Helvetia and have a goat as an advisor are simply not welcomed
Rule 2
People who have been fortunate to inherit large of not obscene amounts of money and have at least 4 staff are simply not welcomed

That sort of thing ?

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Rule 1
People who abide in any location of Helvetia and have a goat as an advisor are simply not welcomed
Rule 2
People who have been fortunate to inherit large of not obscene amounts of money and have at least 4 staff are simply not welcomed

That sort of thing ?
Fortunately, I don't live in Switzerland, so rule one does not apply to me :D

LostinSpace

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Staff member
Patron
Just a suggestion
If people followed this there'd be no problems imo.

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/in...-announcement-march-2021-please-read.3432853/