PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

New Penwortham by pass

Having occasionally spoken to people who are involved in such matters, traffic light phasing is usually set using very complex data models.

Obviously that doesn’t guarantee a 100% success rate, especially when a new road is being opened (e.g. Penwortham bypass) and it’s hard to predict which routes drivers will take, but I think sometimes a lot of the complaints about lights are just because people want it to be on green for them all the time.

That said in certain pinch points like Corporation Street and Strand Road there are clearly problems with the lights, they probably haven’t been changed for the increased amounts of traffic. Getting rid of lights altogether doesn’t work either as seen on Eastway, where some of the people sat in the gridlock everyday actually want traffic lights to help it flow better at peak times.

It all boils down to the fact that the road network in Preston simply wasn’t built for the amount of cars now on the road.

It doesn’t help either in areas like Eastway where housing, big supermarkets and the like are continually being built with the road infrastructure projects only coming afterwards.

And if people do, they will put some deterrent in there like they have at Broughton. ANPR cameras at one end, so only busses can use it and then traffic calming measures at the other end. I can foresee it affecting business but also making a more pleasurable shopping experience for the locals. As for bottlenecks and traffic. Fuck you Preston motorists appears to be the message from LCC.

The bridge across the Ribble to dock road is becoming more and more urgent.

Spot on

Everyone who has lived or worked in this area know (except apparently the Planners) that the key is another bridge over the Ribble to meet Blackpool road beyond the current road system and also to the M55
The whole traffic situation into and from Preston is the Two bridges problem, it has been for the last 60 years at least, and all the while more and more housing is being built
It's why more people from outside the Town (Not City IMO) a miss these days

Spot on

Everyone who has lived or worked in this area know (except apparently the Planners) that the key is another bridge over the Ribble to meet Blackpool road beyond the current road system and also to the M55
The whole traffic situation into and from Preston is the Two bridges problem, it has been for the last 60 years at least, and all the while more and more housing is being built
It's why more people from outside the Town (Not City IMO) a miss these days
I enjoy going into the city. Avoid it at certain times and theres no problem whatever. The main traffic problems come when there is a major incident on the M6.

The majority of the time I can be in Preston City from chorley in under 20 mins, no problem at all.

Why spend 17 Million pounds on a new road when it's completely negated because some stupid Pillock hasn't got the brains to improve the Traffic light timing at the bottom of Penwortham bypass. Also why make 2 Traffic light junctions exiting onto the East side of Strand Road when it could easily have been designed with 1.

I enjoy going into the city. Avoid it at certain times and theres no problem whatever. The main traffic problems come when there is a major incident on the M6.

The majority of the time I can be in Preston City from chorley in under 20 mins, no problem at all.

Some of us don't have that luxury of choosing certain times. I have to drop my daugther off at Nursery on the Docks, coming from Buckshaw. The new bypass has fucked up what was already a busy route. I am patiently waiting for the Howick section to be finished off before casting full judgment.

However, its clear to anybody, except council workers apparently, that:

a) Closing the slip road before the Howick section was finished, is sheer stupidity
b) Nobody uses signed diversions and everyone is flying through housing estates (Beechway where my mum lives for example), Birch Avenue, Central Drive, etc) which is dangerous
c) Traffic light sequences should have been looked at first, not as an afterthought. Its a key part of managing traffic FFS. What is the point of routing everyone down a bypass to only have the lights on red for too long. This is obvious.
d) The bridge from Howick to Clifton needs to be built ASAP. Preston traffic will never be better unless that happens. All other projects are pointless.

Some of us don't have that luxury of choosing certain times. I have to drop my daugther off at Nursery on the Docks, coming from Buckshaw. The new bypass has fucked up what was already a busy route. I am patiently waiting for the Howick section to be finished off before casting full judgment.

a) Closing the slip road before the Howick section was finished, is sheer stupidity
b) Nobody uses signed diversions and everyone is flying through housing estates (Beechway where my mum lives for example), Birch Avenue, Central Drive, etc) which is dangerous
c) Traffic light sequences should have been looked at first, not as an afterthought. Its a key part of managing traffic FFS. What is the point of routing everyone down a bypass to only have the lights on red for too long. This is obvious.
d) The bridge from Howick to Clifton needs to be built ASAP. Preston traffic will never be better unless that happens. All other projects are pointless.
It's not anybody's fault. It's just one of them them things. We all need services and new roads pal. Dot be sham

That bridge has been needed for 30 years mate! Meanwhile they keep doing other projects first. The whole Docks, flyover, Strand Road traffic would be halved if that bridge was built.

All traffic from Penwortham, Hutton, Longton, Southport and beyond can go straight over the bridge to Warton, Fylde, Blackpool, the M55.

That bridge has been needed for 30 years mate! Meanwhile they keep doing other projects first. The whole Docks, flyover, Strand Road traffic would be halved if that bridge was built.

All traffic from Penwortham, Hutton, Longton, Southport and beyond can go straight over the bridge to Warton, Fylde, Blackpool, the M55.
Emptying the pit before April, draining the swamp. Corruption afoot... I should be in charge!!! I'm class.... Fucking loser lights out of sync ...should be a town not a city... Uni.... Errrmmm yes it's worth it isn't it... Lemme go get a sociology degree so I can work at KFC.boom

Yeah I'm just talking in riddles... The university has made Preston too big. It should be a town then when disruptions like this happen it wouldn't effect the road system as badly... The roads are built for a town not a city... Traffic lights out of sync aswel. Tinpot... Alot of money gets spent on the roads for the sake of spending .. I know this for sure. So when I say they are emptying the pit I was meant to say 'pot'... Ahhhh... Blurryhell

Parents in law live at Howick Cross so Im used to taking that route, have done for many years. going to be so much better once the junction is reopened again.

Although, when going into the city centre I generally stay on the M61/M6 and come in from New Hall Lane. I do avoid the rush hours though except when picking daughter from RPH, that can be a nightmare, traffic wise, if something goes wrong. When alls running well, though, I can get home in around 20 mins from RPH joining M6 at jct 31a.

You obviously to clever to be a planner or not stupid enough, take you pick?

Both, John. I have common sense, but not the aptitude for getting into the position in the first place :)

Raefil - I do prefer the M61/M6 route but Docks is like the worst part of Preston to get to. From every angle it seems to be a nightmare.

In the next 12 months we will be moving though, to Broughton / Barton / Grimsargh area - can't bloody wait!

Parents in law live at Howick Cross so Im used to taking that route, have done for many years. going to be so much better once the junction is reopened again.

Although, when going into the city centre I generally stay on the M61/M6 and come in from New Hall Lane. I do avoid the rush hours though except when picking daughter from RPH, that can be a nightmare, traffic wise, if something goes wrong. When alls running well, though, I can get home in around 20 mins from RPH joining M6 at jct 31a.

I presume you mean the Royal Preston raefil

If it only takes you 20 mins you are lucky indeed, it can take 20 mins to get off that car park
When I was in last time (we won’t go into the details again) the bloke in the next bed who came from Preston said ‘’only an Idiot would have built an hospital in the middle of an housing estate’’ I could see his point and not just the cars but the ambulances too trying to get in and out

The ideal place might have been on Land around Bamber Bridge, and then it would have been easily assessable both from Preston, Leyland and Chorley via the ‘A’ roads and the Motorway

But it was probably the same planners who designed the system going into Preston from Penwortham thought was a good idea

I presume you mean the Royal Preston raefil

If it only takes you 20 mins you are lucky indeed, it can take 20 mins to get off that car park
When I was in last time (we won’t go into the details again) the bloke in the next bed who came from Preston said ‘’only an Idiot would have built an hospital in the middle of an housing estate’’ I could see his point and not just the cars but the ambulances too trying to get in and out

The ideal place might have been on Land around Bamber Bridge, and then it would have been easily assessable both from Preston, Leyland and Chorley via the ‘A’ roads and the Motorway

But it was probably the same planners who designed the system going into Preston from Penwortham thought was a good idea
I doubt that in 1962, when the hospital was first planned in the governments, “A Hospital Plan for England and Wales” that todays traffic problems could really have been foreseen.

I also doubt it was the same planners who designed the Penwortham bypass which I used today to go to my parents in law. It was excellent now the junction at Howick is now open.

Well... Its in a proper mess tgis morning after a crash, traffic backed up in all directions.... 1205 and it's utter chaos trying to get into town. Given up.

Well... Its in a proper mess tgis morning after a crash, traffic backed up in all directions.... 1205 and it's utter chaos trying to get into town. Given up.
Took me over an hour to do my 20 minute commute this morning, ended up doing a u turn back up Leyland Road, cut through the gas works and went through Preston instead and I still beat the lad from work in front if me by 30 mins as he sat in the que to get round the flyover. Strangely though I had to leave work to attend a meeting and the traffic was still terrible after 1pm.

Took me over an hour to do my 20 minute commute this morning, ended up doing a u turn back up Leyland Road, cut through the gas works and went through Preston instead and I still beat the lad from work in front if me by 30 mins as he sat in the que to get round the flyover. Strangely though I had to leave work to attend a meeting and the traffic was still terrible after 1pm.
Missus travelled 300 yards in 2 hours 15 mins trying to get from Penwortham to Fylde. Did a U-turn, came home for a poo then went round the M65 / M6. Got to work 3 1/2 hours late.

Claim to fame today, Penwortham got a mention on national travel news. She couldn't pronounce it, mind.