PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

New poll needed, RL sacked or not?

Should RL be sacked?

• Yes

Votes: 558 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 147 20.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Ipswich game last night. They were a joy to watch, why can't my team play like this team who were just promoted?
They gave us a football lesson in the pre-season friendly, but I wrote that off as it was just a friendly. But they are actually as head and shoulders above us as that game suggested.

They have signed some real quality and had some players who were too good for league 1.

I don't want to slag him off because I think he's been a good signing but there's a difference between signing 30 year old Will Keane and 25 year old Nathan Broadhead and 24 year old George Hirst.

Chaplin, Luongo and Morsey were too good for League 1 and Davies has been an unreal signing.

Right now 7 of them are. Which is pretty important if you have ambitions to be promoted.

Look at those teams though, do you really think after our first summer of investing in the manager we're going to be able to compete with the likes of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton straight off the bat?

I'd like to think with better investment this January and summer we would be able to compete with these teams.

Look at those teams though, do you really think after our first summer of investing in the manager we're going to be able to compete with the likes of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton straight off the bat?

I'd like to think with better investment this January and summer we would be able to compete with these teams.
Hull, Blackburn, Ipswich from League 1? Better investment for sure will help, but also a better Head Coach/Manager.

We string 10+ passes together on average 4.4 times per game.

This info from The Analyst is pretty good to see how we compare vs the rest of the division. Only Huddersfield and Rotherham put fewer passes together per sequence of possession (indicating we're a bit sloppy at times with the ball) and I'd be confident in saying a lot of those 10+ passing sequences are when we are behind in games.

Simply, if you are leading against us, tactically let Preston have the ball as creativity is lacking then hurt us with pace on the counter. It's not hard to work us out from an opposition perspective

Agreed with the last line.

Do you think our lack of passing is down to our CB's, regular LWB's (Brady, Best) and starting Ledson.

Hull, Blackburn, Ipswich from League 1? Better investment for sure will help, but also a better Head Coach/Manager.

Hull have spent well with Twine, Philogene etc who is very much a cheat code for this league.

Blackburn I'd say have had a good run compared to ours recently, plus we beat them.

Ipswich as mentioned above have invested very well plus Chaplin, Morsey etc were too good for league 1.

RL has had several transfer windows and a decent amount of cash to spend. So I think by now, it's fair to say he's choosing to go with 5 at the back and playing long balls into the channels.

For me, I'd happily let RL go today, if it meant we were bringing in a manager who genuinely wants to play a more attractive style of football. Ball to feet, pass and move, proper wingers, 2 up front etc etc. Yes, it might take more time to reshape the squad again and no, we might not be the best in the division at it. But surely it would be more entertaining than what is now years of mid table, 5 at the back hoofball.

They have signed some real quality and had some players who were too good for league 1.

I don't want to slag him off because I think he's been a good signing but there's a difference between signing 30 year old Will Keane and 25 year old Nathan Broadhead and 24 year old George Hirst.

Chaplin, Luongo and Morsey were too good for League 1 and Davies has been an unreal signing.
How many of those players were quality signings when they bought them? Loungo was a bench player, Chaplin never scored more than 5 goals at this level, Morsy was a clogger, Broadhead never played at this level and Hirst was regarded as the worst striker Rovers had ever seen

They’ve become quality purely because of McKenna’s coaching, which is why I can’t understand why fans are adamant that no other coach could show the same improvement in our players?

How many of those players were quality signings when they bought them? Loungo was a bench player, Chaplin never scored more than 5 goals at this level, Morsy was a clogger, Broadhead never played at this level and Hirst was regarded as the worst striker Rovers had ever seen

They’ve become quality purely because of McKenna’s coaching, which is why I can’t understand why fans are adamant that no other coach could show the same improvement in our players?

McKenna would have our lot playing far better than they are and would have them far more organised.

I remember a number of people expressing concerns for our defence at the end of the 21-22 season when Sepp returned to Liverpool. Apart from Bambo’s stint, no changes have really been made.

We need to be careful with Best as well. Hanging out to dry at LWB against Isaiah Jones and Dijksteel is on par with throwing Josh Earl repeatedly out there.

Luongo I always rated just fell out of favour, Chaplin again whenever I saw him for Barnsley was class couldn't believe nobody else picked him up. Morsey was good at Boro and Wigan and I think we were linked at one point, Broadhead was linked with a few Championship clubs and had performed well at Wigan. Hirst I didn't know that so fair point, but Rovers do think Szmodics is the second coming I take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Mckenna is a great coach and an enigma I would say, these sort of coaches seem to only come around at this level once every blue moon.

I'm not adamant no other coach could improve the players sometimes I think its better the devil you know and understand what Lowe is working with would still be the same as another manager/coach would be working with. The football he has us playing with the players available has worked points wise and I think that's why it is continuing.

The sooner we improve on Cunningham, Brady, Ledson, Storey, Hughes and Bauer the better.

Whiteman as others have mentioned has been poor and isn't the player I think he is, if he is demanding more money then he can leave, I think he might be shocked at the offers he gets.

LWB options because of Brady, Millar and Best are now killing us and I think if we had Mckenna at the helm he'd struggle to stop the opposition targeting that side let alone get an attacking output from us, the quality between Best/Brady and Leif Davies is night and day.

...we lose to QPR. This forum will rightly be in meltdown. Looking at the stats against 'Boro it was obviously an abject display and the suggestion that Lowe has 'lost the dressing room' may prove to be right. Tomorrow's game needs to be much more than a narrow victory. It needs to be a front foot approach, players running into spaces and showing positive intent.
A draw or (God forbid) a defeat and Lowe should be shown the door.
When the guy arrived I was looking forward to his brand of football but not what is being offered up now. As it stands, our position in the table is false. Our negative goal difference indicates a relegation fight. Address the problem pretty quickly or it will be too late. Correct team selection, players in the right positions and a positive game plan. Simple.

...we lose to QPR. This forum will rightly be in meltdown. Looking at the stats against 'Boro it was obviously an abject display and the suggestion that Lowe has 'lost the dressing room' may prove to be right. Tomorrow's game needs to be much more than a narrow victory. It needs to be a front foot approach, players running into spaces and showing positive intent.
When the guy arrived I was looking forward to his brand of football but not what is being offered up now. As it stands, our position in the table is false. Our negative goal difference indicates a relegation fight. Address the problem pretty quickly or it will be too late. Correct team selection, players in the right positions and a positive game plan. Simple.

Hope its a win and results and performances pick up.

Can the club afford to sack him (+ others) ? … Could any compensation package(s) and appointment of new staff take us over the financial fair play thresholds ?

Our recent form is worrying but I think we'll eventually finish mid table. We do need to keep our eye on the clubs below us and near the bottom though. QPR is a must win game for me if we have ambitions of being in and around the top 6 come the end of the season.

Our recent form is worrying but I think we'll eventually finish mid table. We do need to keep our eye on the clubs below us and near the bottom though. QPR is a must win game for me if we have ambitions of being in and around the top 6 come the end of the season.
I can’t see any but a defeat against QPR with the players available..

There are definitely good coaches out there who could make good managers, like McKenna. I wonder whether our owners would appoint anyone like that though. Also it depends on whether they're applying for the job.

The last time we appointed someone else's coach as a manager was Alan Irvine 16 years ago. I can't remember when the time before that was. Normally if we're appointing a coach, it'll be from within the club. Every other time we've hired someone, it's been someone who has already managed elsewhere. We just don't really make hirings like McKenna as a club. We always seem to want someone who is "proven" or known within the club.

If the definition of "narrow" is by more than one goal, then we have virtually no chance. The only team we have beaten by more than 1 goal in nearly 4 months is Stoke.

The words immediately after those in bold are also not something we've seen all that much either so I'm holding out no hope we will take the game to them, even though I believe we have enough quality to do so.

I will stop short of saying I want us to lose just to get Lowe out - I do want Lowe to succeed because his success is our success, and beside that I have a feeling he doesn't go even if we do lose tomorrow - but this really is worse than what we saw under McAvoy.

The wildcard here is how Lowe and the fans interact tomorrow. He is thin-skinned with the fans when they criticise, if anything he is as prickly as we've had. The loss might not cost him his job, but how he reacts might.

Qpr scored 4 midweek and will be a tougher game than some expect

Huge pressure on us Fri night

Imagine things will get toxic if we go a goal down

RL says he backs his players, wonder what he said in the dressing room after throwing them all under the bus .the guys tactically inept but, he won't be sacked yet, but time is running out.

Status
Not open for further replies.