PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

New pub for Preston?

northender0602;n3419142 said:
It’s a medieval well. The cellar where it is was full of rubble, they spent ages digging it out, then they found the old gin stills or whatever they were, think they used water from the well to produce the gin. Think the foundations of the building date back to the 16th century or something like that.

Cheers, thanks for taking the time to reply... Interesting stuff isnt it ?

Bittersuite/ Mad Hatter's as been rebranded as PR1 bar now.

Haven't been in though so don't know if they done anything with the interior.

sf;n3421470 said:

Not yet plenty of decent beers and they still get live music on.

sf;n3421470 said:

I know one of the barman. Looks quite nice on the pics I've seen

'Baker Street' on Avenham Street (that'll confuse the postmen) is looking like our next new watering hole as the 'Holt Pub Co' (not to be confused with Holts of Manchester) continue to redevelop the former er.... (I don't know) building just down from Angelo's.

Said company own the Smithy Inn in Much Hoole, Seven Stars in Leyland and pubs in Wigan and Burscough.

Presumed they'd given up on that place, been a long time without any news.

Won't have a patch on So Bar...

AndySaville;n3421593 said:
'Baker Street' on Avenham Street (that'll confuse the postmen) is looking like our next new watering hole as the 'Holt Pub Co' (not to be confused with Holts of Manchester) continue to redevelop the former er.... (I don't know) building just down from Angelo's.

Said company own the Smithy Inn in Much Hoole, Seven Stars in Leyland and pubs in Wigan and Burscough.

sf;n3421598 said:
Presumed they'd given up on that place, been a long time without any news.

Won't have a patch on So Bar...

I saw it in late November and they'd completely gutted the place and gone back to breeze block / brick and then when I saw it again in mid December the windows were in and looked like it was progressing well. I thought the plan was to make it a bit like Alberts Schloss in Manchester? If so and done right and it could really be a hit.

So Bar was great. Thursday nights it wax bogof and for every drink you got a free shot, so buy one bottle for £2 and you ended up with 2 bottles and 2 shots!

Tino;n3421620 said:
I saw it in late November and they'd completely gutted the place and gone back to breeze block / brick and then when I saw it again in mid December the windows were in and looked like it was progressing well. I thought the plan was to make it a bit like Alberts Schloss in Manchester? If so and done right and it could really be a hit.

So Bar was great. Thursday nights it wax bogof and for every drink you got a free shot, so buy one bottle for £2 and you ended up with 2 bottles and 2 shots!

Aye, Thursday nights used to be belting.

Start off in Fishers, move on to So Bar, then Revs, Manyana's and end up in Lava or Browns. Off your tits and you've barely spent £40.

This Baker Street could do very well with Stratos across the road.

AndySaville;n3421593 said:

Is this the pub that used to be called Gastons back in the day when I was a teenage drinker supping Sass like it was going out of fashion? Not been in since Gastons closed down and changed its name to whatever it was then called.

Henrys Cat;n3421854 said:
I always knew it has McGuires Tavern back in the 80's. Cracking pub.

It was a good pub...... They served a very nice pint of Guinness.

Tino;n3421620 said:
So Bar was great. Thursday nights it was bogof and for every drink you got a free shot, so buy one bottle for £2 and you ended up with 2 bottles and 2 shots!

and then you went to work on Fridays ????

or were you still at school ?

Jack Daniels;n3421748 said:
Is this the pub that used to be called Gastons back in the day when I was a teenage drinker supping Sass like it was going out of fashion? Not been in since Gastons closed down and changed its name to whatever it was then called.

I'm afraid I've never set foot in the place be it Gaston's or So Bar. Furthest I've ever got down Avenham Street was Stratos when a works doo took a wrong turn. Ended up ordering and downing a beer of some sort to join trainer clad colleagues who had been refused entry.

Not sure if the German Beer Hall idea is still happening or not. Last I was told the guys who own it are going to make it similar to the places they already have but hopefully I'm wrong.
​​​​
​​​​

Jack Daniels;n3421748 said:

I had my 18th in Gastons in the late 80s.

Yard of ale but most went over my shoes :)

Nobber;n3422527 said:
I had my 18th in Gastons in the late 80s.

Yard of ale but most went over my shoes :)

Why do I feel that I know you? I lived in that place in the late 80s. Trev and Jan ran the pub back then.

Jack Daniels;n3422606 said:
Why do I feel that I know you? I lived in that place in the late 80s. Trev and Jan ran the pub back then.

I’m sure we will have crossed paths.

I was the good looking one with an amazing sense of humour :)

We had a good afternoon out in Preston on Friday afternoon.. I must admit 3 or 4 years ago i would have scoffed at the idea of going to Preston when Manchester is only 35 mins away by train.

However, thanks to Northern rail our trips to Manchester have been restricted and we had to find other venues.

We went to the Turtle Bay bar and even at 5pm it was very busy with a good atmosphere ( 2 for 1 might have helped ), we went to eat in Angelos which was very nice and again a really good atmosphere.

After the meal , we went to the Forum which is a really nice wine bar and was full to the rafters even at 7-30pm......... To finish up, we had a couple more in Hartleys.. It was a very chilly afternoon so we werent in the mood to venture too much but i would like to have gone to Plau , having read good reports on here - Next time we will do it , if its warmer !!!

A jolly good afternoon had by the Ando's..........

Last edited: