PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Nobber

Here's something I can't seem to work out, why Nobbers?
It seems an odd nickname for PNE fans, so what's the story behind the name?
We have been calling it ourselves for years !!

As Raef says it’s almost laughing off the Lashers insult of us by calling ourselves Nobbers....

I remember getting the bus down to the Summers about 30 years ago ( for a few pre match pints ) and I always remember this bloke getting on at Brookfield and this little old lady who must have been in her 80’s said “ Who are the Nobbers playing today ?? “

We have been calling it ourselves for years !!

As Raef says it’s almost laughing off the Lashers insult of us by calling ourselves Nobbers....

I remember getting the bus down to the Summers about 30 years ago ( for a few pre match pints ) and I always remember this bloke getting on at Brookfield and this little old lady who must have been in her 80’s said “ Who are the Nobbers playing today ?? “
Nobbers is based on Knob end. I believe it was Wigan who christened us. A Wigan bricklayer told me (confirmed it) but I already knew it. The Lashers don't have the brains to come up with something as fiendishly cunning as that but to our credit, we handled it well, calling ourselves nobbers which spoilt their fun. If anyone knows differently, I'll hold my hand up.

Nobbers is based on Knob end. I believe it was Wigan who christened us. A Wigan bricklayer told me (confirmed it) but I already knew it. The Lashers don't have the brains to come up with something as fiendishly cunning as that but to our credit, we handled it well, calling ourselves nobbers which spoilt their fun. If anyone knows differently, I'll hold my hand up.
The dingles definitely use it too. No idea about the origin. Interesting if it's from Wigan.

I am not sure your impression is correct. Like I said, I scanned the relevant posts at the time - and going back now to refresh my mind, it’s easy to conclude that Nobber has not created a myth.
The real “trigger” was surely post #26178. You don’t need me to tell you that that post is within the normal range of piss-taking posts we see all the time from a range of posters.

Why the first response #26198 was written the way it was? Take a judgement. For me, it’s a rather large jump to suggest that anybody’s mother had been besmirched!!! And this seems to me to be the root of “myth” which appears not to be a myth!

rules and laws are all subject to interpretation and opinion. I know you like to think your analysis was objective and impartial but it was only your view ultimately hence why decisions are split between a number of people to try and ensure it is fair. If everything was so clear cut life would be easy.

rules and laws are all subject to interpretation and opinion. I know you like to think your analysis was objective and impartial but it was only your view ultimately hence why decisions are split between a number of people to try and ensure it is fair. If everything was so clear cut life would be easy.

My comment on this issue has been at pains to include regular recognition that I only know what I know, that I don’t have access to PMs, I might have missed some pertinent posts and that ultimately these are just my opinions.
And also that I appreciate people giving up their time to moderate the site.

To be fair, they are quite happy being referred to as Lashers 👍

Funny isn't it that when the hierarchy at Deepdale say nothing and enlighten us about matters which involve the supporters, we tend to shout and rant and rave about their old fashioned attitudes by not keeping supporters informed. Maybe Ridsdale's attitude is catching and we have handled the Nobbergate affair in his style. Tell the forum posters nothing, and 3 people now go missing for the summer months, 3 pretty big posters. The term "nosey bastard" didn't sit right with me either. I'm not a massive poster but I agree with them, and Nobber has been special to me these past 12 months or so. I'm number 4.

Funny isn't it that when the hierarchy at Deepdale say nothing and enlighten us about matters which involve the supporters, we tend to shout and rant and rave about their old fashioned attitudes by not keeping supporters informed. Maybe Ridsdale's attitude is catching and we have handled the Nobbergate affair in his style. Tell the forum posters nothing, and 3 people now go missing for the summer months, 3 pretty big posters. The term "nosey bastard" didn't sit right with me either. I'm not a massive poster but I agree with them, and Nobber has been special to me these past 12 months or so. I'm number 4.
In my short time as a moderator there have been a couple of bans, while I acknowledge that Nobber is a poster who is fondly regarded by some, his ban is the only one that has provoked a public enquiry, nothing much was asked of the others, if anything at all.

Providing the banned poster has been informed of the length of the ban and reasons for the ban, personally I see no reason why this needs to be shared with the forum and that's a stance that I'll stand by, as I see it, it's nobody else's business.

'Nosey bastard' was deemed heavy handed by some, it wasn't intended as such and I'll hold my hands up and apologise for offence caused, while still acknowledging that far worse is leveled at posters by some on an almost daily basis.