North End fans tonight

budgierustler

Forum Patron
Patron
My first post on here after resisting for the last two days.

I am a United fan and only came on this thread because it was linked into a United forum.

Firstly lets clear things up (once again)

Tom Finney was a legend, a great player and one that English football can rightly be proud of.

The fact you applaud him is something only known to you. No idea if you do it every match, every anniversary or certain milestones?

Certainly we had no idea what you were applauding, nobody told us and we can't see the screen and there was no tannoy announcement pre match.

We were singing at the time although a good few stopped and joined in the clapping whilst shrugging their shoulders and shaking their heads. Me included. We didn't shout any abuse at that time or indeed during the whole of the match other than at the two or three fans making aeroplane gestures to our left (invincibles stand?)

Strangely the stewards only spoke to one youth about this but that was it and he carried on in the second half. Its wrong but we know that clubs can't be responsible for all their fans and we all have idiots. .

I didn't hear any Munich chants but to be honest we didn't hear much from your fans at all until you scored. Then there was one tremendously loud Preston chant which seemed to carry throughout the stadium followed by occasional bouts of chanting that were audible to us. That doesn't mean you weren't chanting or making a lot of noise

Many of your fans on here decry the noise coming from our end. That's fine. its not the Eurovision contest and most of those posters were in the end opposite us. The fans in the invincibles stand have, almost to a man, said we were very loud and sang all match which is pretty much what the TV pictures and audio showed. it seems to be more important to a few on here who are intent on making it an issue. Personally I thought we were pretty average as your team was playing so well and we were getting nervous and agitated at the thought of going out of the Cup.

As for United fans being cocky, glory hunters and used to success etc well that's a ridiculous assertion about all of us. United's away following has always had a huge percentage of old skool reds who have travelled the country/Europe since the days we were in the second division. In fact other than the treble season most of us will say that the second division season was the best times following United.

On Saturday we will take up our full allocation at Swansea as we do every single away match. We do it because we love United, just as you love Preston.

Most of us had a great time at Preston and pre match had a good laugh in the Sumners pub. Good lads in there and lovely friendly staff. I know there were a few problems in town but you can't have everything.

Don't want to sound patronising but your team played really well and gave us an almighty scare and you should rightly be proud of them. A couple of those decisions that went against you could have meant a different story altogether although Davies should have been sent off.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks for your balanced observations salford. Unfortunately in this area.....indeed as in many others, we have plastic United fans who don`t know the way to Deepdale never mind Old Trafford...hence the angst.

I was in the IP and you weren`t as loud as I expected...but then again I don`t know what I expected!

I went to watch Preston give their best and not to hear United sing...I got more than my monies worth even in defeat.

Our clubs have a fair bit of history...Charlton, Stiles, Becham, Dawson, Lawton etc etc.... so taking all the Rooney diving and plastic fans aside and actually getting down to the footy....some will want Arsenal to beat you but I don`t.....at least we can say we were knocked out by the winners if you lift the trophy.

Cheers

Bob Fossil

Youth Team
My first post on here after resisting for the last two days.

I am a United fan and only came on this thread because it was linked into a United forum.

Firstly lets clear things up (once again)

Tom Finney was a legend, a great player and one that English football can rightly be proud of.

The fact you applaud him is something only known to you. No idea if you do it every match, every anniversary or certain milestones?

Certainly we had no idea what you were applauding, nobody told us and we can't see the screen and there was no tannoy announcement pre match.

I'm not arsed about who sang this or who sang loudest but you're trying to tell me you couldn't work out that a year after Tom's death, in the 7th minute, the applause wasn't related? Do you lads not watch the local news?

Oh hang on, you'd have to be local! (couldn't resist)

salford

Youth Team
I'm not arsed about who sang this or who sang loudest but you're trying to tell me you couldn't work out that a year after Tom's death, in the 7th minute, the applause wasn't related? Do you lads not watch the local news?

I had no idea it was a year since Finney died. Why would we? And tbh I don't sit down to watch the local news for stories about our matches.

Without looking it up do you know when Emlyn Hughes, Sir Matt Busby or Bobby Moore died? I appreciate they died many years ago but imagine turning up at West Ham and them clapping and you all looking at each other. Is it for a player? Is it for a manager? Is it for a fan? Is it for a disaster? Is it a tradition?

Its bizarre that you should question us as if you don't believe we didn't know???

If we'd done that on purpose we would say so, why hide behind it if we were doing it to make a point?

If you're not careful you will begin to sound more and more like the scousers

I understand that every Preston fan is from Preston (other than the ones who give their locations away from Preston on here) so will let you revel in that.

salford

Youth Team
Oh and its not as if we abused his memory so no point continuing being precious about it. He was a great player and that is what people will remember about him.

If we had a minutes clapping (horror) for an ex player/manager and the away fans didn't join in I wouldn't be at all bothered because its for us. We don't need other fans to endorse our appreciation but if it upset you that much I'm sorry it has left you with a worse opinion of us. That's life I suppose

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician

Does it matter? As the lad said it seems the Man U supporters didn't know and why can't we take him at face value on that. They weren't not clapping out of spite.

pnenycx

Forum Patron
Patron
I had no idea it was a year since Finney died. Why would we? And tbh I don't sit down to watch the local news for stories about our matches.

Without looking it up do you know when Emlyn Hughes, Sir Matt Busby or Bobby Moore died? I appreciate they died many years ago but imagine turning up at West Ham and them clapping and you all looking at each other. Is it for a player? Is it for a manager?

Got to agree with Salford here, there was no disrespect meant by the Utd fans here.

diggerb

Forum Patron
Patron
Nice balanced reply from Salford, all clubs have a percentage of arsy fans, we just have to live with it and to be fair who would deny that our fans can be a bit patronising with around 3k going to little (no disrespect) Bury and Rochdale, but the same fans gave very generously when a collection was made at Deepdale to help Bury out of financial difficulties a few years back ! We are all a soccer family and the ones who travel all over the country watching their team are the most dedicated, wether that be PNE, Man u , Bury or Rochdale, O.k Man U, fans have more success but it costs them a fortune for the privelige.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
Got to agree with Salford here, there was no disrespect meant by the Utd fans here.

I was in the invincibles at the kop end, here's a few facts:-
Some Utd fans clapped at seven minutes
No Utd fans booed
Most Utd fans didn't seem to understand why we were clapping but why would they?
I did not hear any Munich songs or chants
There was minimal taunting from the fans in the kop
The Utd fans (ladies) situated in the corporate seats in the invincibles were naive at best in clapping the Utd goal which led to the shenanigans of PNE fans getting revved up, that said the clever lads who ran from the bottom seats up to the top looking for a scrap were duly ejected and rightly so - they didn't see the ladies and just wanted a bit of "action" I'd imagine - handbags all in all.
And was it just me or did I denote I bit of a lulled cheer when Rooney's penalty went in - probably because he didn't need to dive ?
All in all both teams and both sets of fans acquitted themselves pretty well (excluding an offside, push and dive)

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
No Utd fans booed
Most Utd fans didn't seem to understand why we were clapping but why would they?
The Utd fans (ladies) situated in the corporate seats in the invincibles were naive at best in clapping the Utd goal which led to the shenanigans of PNE fans getting revved up, that said the clever lads who ran from the bottom seats up to the top looking for a scrap were duly ejected and rightly so - they didn't see the ladies and just wanted a bit of "action" I'd imagine - handbags all in all.
And was it just me or did I denote I bit of a lulled cheer when Rooney's penalty went in - probably because he didn't need to dive ?
All in all both teams and both sets of fans acquitted themselves pretty well (excluding an offside, push and dive)

There's a video on youtube with one of the fans in the Invincibles doing a plane action. I'll try and dig it out.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
There's a video on youtube with one of the fans in the Invincibles doing a plane action. I'll try and dig it out.

I am sure there is and no doubt the clot was ejected
My facts are based on what I saw and heard
As I said - I did not see anyone in the invincibles doing as such - if as you say a fan thought it was a good idea to do a plane action then I am sure we are more embarrassed than anyone - it's life I guess - in any family you always get one!

salford

Youth Team
No Utd fans booed

As accurate as you could get.

On that note good luck for the rest of the season

salford

Youth Team
Last post on here and will leave you lads to it

A few years ago when Suarez racially abused Evra the Liverpool team, manager, club twitter account and fans tried to smear everybody and anything to make excuses for Suarez and blame others.. Some of you might recall Dalglish being interviewed in a white t shirt with support Suarez or something on it and the players wore the same t shirt in the warm up before a televised match.

Anyway we started singing the "Its never your fault its never your fault, always the victims, its never your fault chant"

Somehow they managed to convince the media including Sky Sports that the chant was all about Hillsborough when it was no such thing. It was an accumulation of incidents but mainly about the Suarez defence. Their fans said it was disgraceful and how offended they were etc etc

The next time we played them we changed the words and sang "We take it all back, we take it al back, we're sorry we offended you and that Evra is black" :)

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
As accurate as you could get.

On that note good luck for the rest of the season

And to you also my friend
Shame your board did not offer the patience I feel that was needed with moyes? that said I think you've earned your spot in the prem and I wish you luck in the cup