NORTH END SOULS 3

OP
Staffordwhite

Staffordwhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I suggest for North End Souls 4. A chapter from Craig Hemmings on what PNE meant to his Dad.

I'm really saddened that I didn't get to talk to Trevor and get his story for posterity.

I asked him to be in NES3 (through the club and directly to his address in IoM) but never got anything back other than he was considering it.

Obviously, he was a deeply private man who gave very few interviews, but it would have been great to have got his contributions, motivations and thought processes down in writing before he passed.

Hopefully, the club are working on a full obituary (for Saturday's programme maybe) that will outline his full contribution - and legacy - in a bit more detail.

His links with North End go right back to the 1970s and as Bryan Gray points out in NES3, the BAXI takeover wouldn't have happened without him either.

Now, I'm not sure that his full involvement down the years will ever come out in public and I think that's a real shame.

OP
Staffordwhite

Staffordwhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I was reading the Alex Bruce chapter, I think, and he mentioned Hemmings being involved in getting him down here as a teenager!
Funnily enough, I recall Eric Jones in NES2 saying that Trevor had been in the youth team at Rovers when he was younger but got injured, they dropped him and the rest is history.

It’s memories like that which would have been great to explore. 😔

OP
Staffordwhite

Staffordwhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Just a quickie to say North End Souls 3 is now in the Club Shop and I’ve also restocked them with a few (!) copies of 1&2. 👍🙂

(Ps. If anyone wants to grab me, I’ll be mooching around the fanzone tomorrow, handing out flyers - until security chase me off! 😅)

BeteNoir

Advisor to the Owner
Just finished reading book 3 what a brilliant read. Quite how you got some of the contributors to say so much I will never know. Not one slags the club off even those who got the boot. Graham Westley's was a particularly good read where he put a few myths to rights, medal winner, midnight texts etc. And Darren Ferguson mentioning the loan players requesting to return to their clubs, not his father demanding it. Great read.

Preston Lad

Forum Patron
Patron
Just finished reading book 3 what a brilliant read. Quite how you got some of the contributors to say so much I will never know. Not one slags the club off even those who got the boot. Graham Westley's was a particularly good read where he put a few myths to rights, medal winner, midnight texts etc. And Darren Ferguson mentioning the loan players requesting to return to their clubs, not his father demanding it. Great read.
Just like the Stoke lads did🙄🙄

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron

I thought the midnight text explanation was particularly unconvincing.

A few chapters to go yet but Basil was good fun, as always.

Jonathan Clark was interesting and eye-opening at times! His recollections of the bits of class shown by some major figures in the game were good to read about.

OP
Staffordwhite

Staffordwhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Cheers Bete, much appreciated. 😊

The thing with all these chapters is that they’re personal perspectives from the people who were there.

Other people may have different versions of ‘the truth’ but @justinr73 I don’t doubt the sincerity of anyone in the books; they’re telling it as they saw it at the time and as they see it now. 🤓

Makes for an interesting read - and throws new light on debates that have lasted for decades in some cases.

We might never know exactly what went on (two sides to every story, etc) but this is probably as close as we’re going to get. 👍🤓