PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Northern to lose franchise

Ha I see, so in reality as reafil says the Intercity Trains run near enough on time (and he is NEVER wrong is he?) it IS all about the 20 minute thing after all

But interestingly you don’t answer my point on Technology and the Internet and the fact that could l ‘do away’ with a large part of the need for Business travel

Be interested to hear you views on that?
When it comes to opinions im often wrong. When it comes to Facts, rarely. I check them before I come out with ill informed crap, unlike yourself and then back them up with the evidence.

Business travel will always be necessary, even if technology makes it less important. What would be a good outcome would be to take more people and more freight off the roads and the HS2 supporters claim that is a key outcome. I was very sceptical about it until I had a very lengthy conversation, over a very long lunch , with an old friend of mine who knows this stuff like the back of his hand. He convinced me that HS2 is an essential infrastructure upgrade. That's the benefit of listening to experts....

Beeching ( sorry lord, wonder how that came about ) would have been right up your alley............. And I could quote you all day about rail experts ( real ones not chancers) that propose the opposite of HS2.....

Beeching ( sorry lord, wonder how that came about ) would have been right up your alley............. And I could quote you all day about rail experts ( real ones not chancers) that propose the opposite of HS2.....
Not sure why I'd have liked Beeching. I'm in favour of both HS2 and the re opening of lines axed by Beeching, the two are not mutually exclusive

Theres a councillor, Tory, on twitter who spends a lot of time extolling the virtues of HS2. Ive challenged him over and over to show me how HS2 will in any way benefit his constituents in south ribble. I never get an answer.

I see benefits only for the south East.

Theres a councillor, Tory, on twitter who spends a lot of time extolling the virtues of HS2. Ive challenged him over and over to show me how HS2 will in any way benefit his constituents in south ribble. I never get an answer.

There are plenty more like that. Burnham is convinced.....

Listened to an argument this morning on ( which has no bearing on my opinion ) R4 where 2 experts went up against one another.... One pretty much said it would bring ( already is ) loads of jobs to the Midlands ( while it's being built ) and the other claimed it was pretty much useless to our infastructure...........

I think we need to really consider when we are spending billion up upon billion.... Spend it by all means if there's a long term benefit for all but not this one in my view.

Listened to an argument this morning on ( which has no bearing on my opinion ) R4 where 2 experts went up against one another.... One pretty much said it would bring ( already is ) loads of jobs to the Midlands ( while it's being built ) and the other claimed it was pretty much useless to our infastructure...........

I think we need to really consider when we are spending billion up upon billion.... Spend it by all means if there's a long term benefit for all but not this one in my view.
Interestingly all of the bids being published for HS2 claim they are on target and on budget

Not sure why I'd have liked Beeching. I'm in favour of both HS2 and the re opening of lines axed by Beeching, the two are not mutually exclusive

You were blagging about how good it is to have a chat with " experts"..... If you can only afford one then HS2 gets fucked off.... Don't worry we'll be spending it in the ME soon on rockets. :)

Ha I see, so in reality as reafil says the Intercity Trains run near enough on time (and he is NEVER wrong is he?) it IS all about the 20 minute thing after all

But interestingly you don’t answer my point on Technology and the Internet and the fact that could l ‘do away’ with a large part of the need for Business travel

Be interested to hear you views on that?

just like you didn’t answer the facts I posted that show that despite technology allowing it to happen rail travel is still increasing. Whilst it may mean some people don’t need to travel for the odd meeting, millions of workers still need to and technology doesn’t always have the solution for all jobs, nor do all companies have the ability to offer the functionality and freedom.
HS2 is about getting people both too and from those regions it will connect, whether that means commuters being able to live further afield in both directions or for business to move away where it is cheaper. I’m still marginally baffled why many of these companies base themselves in London and pay astronomical rent when they could achieve it cheaper in many other surrounding areas.

it’s like the historical idea of Central Business Districts we all used to get taught in geography is massively flawed yet still part of the curriculum, city centres will seeming become more and more leisure and entertainment based with business moving to the peripheral areas I think in many cases. Moving people and goods between big cities will still be necessary though for a long time to come

DA5DCFA4-BA0E-438D-BBE3-A788744050F5.jpeg
Big love to the Northern Rail marketing department for launching a 10p ticket sale then having to tweet and update their website that the sale has been delayed. See this is what’s been missing consistent punctuality and reliability.....

Interestingly all of the bids being published for HS2 claim they are on target and on budget

Sorry if I treat that with a fair amount of Scepticism paddy

Remembering the first estimates
I suspect ‘vested interests' are running a little scared at the moment

If the Government gives another ‘Go ahead’ I suspect you will see those estimates climb again in a few months

There are plenty more like that. Burnham is convinced.....

Course he is

He isn’t paying for it is he?
Not having a ‘go’ at him in particular, but all Politicians like spending other people’s money

It’s in the blood; they learn it at their mother’s knee

But it’s US who pays

Northern won't see the year out. For Shapps to get this fixed, he needs to forcibly restructure the Northern board then tender out new franchises (likely coalitions) for split West and East Northern, both in conjunction with the government. Get both Labour and Tories involved with proper railway people and people with proven transport success.

Northern needs a radical shakeup ASAP and it's down to Shapps if he wants to make it a success and give the Tories a boost in the North.

It’s gone a bit quiet on the re-tendering front.....

Andy Burnham was on the news saying that he agrees with the government stance but the talking must stop and they need to make it happen...

It’s gone a bit quiet on the re-tendering front.....

Andy Burnham was on the news saying that he agrees with the government stance but the talking must stop and they need to make it happen...

That’s because the Government are more interested in getting HS2 sorted from Birmingham to London and fuck the North ?