Our Biggest Rivalry

PNE's Biggest Rivalry

• Total voters

paolo poggi

First Team
Blackburn Rovers certainly do not consider Preston North End as their main rivals. Their fierce rivals are Burnley.
It appears that a fair few are not aware of these facts, hence the compulsion to present them.

As a Burnley Fan, I only have eyes for Rvers as Hated Rivals. Through the ‘90s/‘00s we formed an ersatz Rivalry with PNE. The Clubs spent a decade cheek by jowel, with PNE shading the Rivalry until we got Promoted in 2009. Since then, we’ve parted ways a little and, like with Rvers, rarely been in the same division for more than a season at a time, so it’s been hard to keep a rivalry going.
I think any enmity felt by PNE Fans towards Rvers is largely unreciprocated, as they tend to look Easward towards us. I can see a similar relationship developing between PNE and Rvers ,as it did between our two Club, the longer you spend in the same division.

Walton

Reserve
If you lived in Higher Walton and you liked your pint of Bod’s In the Swan, one wall was covered in Blackburn photos and the adjacent wall with PNE photos, I’m fairly sure that there were no Blackpool photos.

I think it’s just an age and geography thing, in the fifties and sixties all four clubs were considered local derbies, obviously time changes things and sadly because of our league status Blackpool has become the most important.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
If you lived in Higher Walton and you liked your pint of Bod’s In the Swan, one wall was covered in Blackburn photos and the adjacent wall with PNE photos, I’m fairly sure that there were no Blackpool photos.

I think it’s just an age and geography thing, in the fifties and sixties all four clubs were considered local derbies, obviously time changes things and sadly because of our league status Blackpool has become the most important.
My father was from Higher Walton and he drummed into me the fact that our main rivals were and always had been Rovers. Members of his extended family in HW were Rovers fans. As you say Higher Walton was always split between PNE and Rovers. That's why, for me, Rovers will always be our main rivals.

HeyshamWhite

First Team
I accept that for most it's Blackpool, but for me it's Burnley. The games against them in my time of watching North End - 30 odd years - have always seemed to have more edge to them on the pitch as well as off, whilst the night of 19th April 1988 in that Sherpa Van Trophy Northern Final remains for me the single worst football experience of my life.

Rovers probably come second for me, not least becasue of all the plastics that suddenly appeared in Longridge during the period 1992-1995, and I was living in Blackburn the day they won the league and we lost to Bury in the play offs which just compounded matters.

sliper

First Team
Blackpool. Always has been and always will be.

For instance, when Tom Clarke scored. It didn't mean much all in all but people went mental
We generally have our biggest rivalry with the "biggest club" team from the Fylde coast.. so thats Fleetwood then !

sliper

First Team
My father was from Higher Walton and he drummed into me the fact that our main rivals were and always had been Rovers. Members of his extended family in HW were Rovers fans. As you say Higher Walton was always split between PNE and Rovers. That's why, for me, Rovers will always be our main rivals.
Jaywick Rovers ?

paolo poggi

First Team
Let's face it, Lancashire is superb place to be a football fan. Each fixture brings back bitter and sweet memories. Each win dissolves those previous heartaches. Each defeat reopens a dormant emotional scar. The beating heart of British football, all within 30 miles of my home.
I greatly enjoy beating the dingles, though, I admit.