PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Our Biggest Rivalry

PNE's Biggest Rivalry

• Total voters
Always been Blackpool the main rivalry for me, but always have had hatred for Burnley. Blackburn too for recent seasons.

As has been said, a lot depends on age, personal history and demography.
To me its:-
Blackpool
Blackburn
Burnley
Bolton
After that it depends what Division we are in.
Other 'Derbies' that have added interest and slightly bigger crowds for the league we are in have included
Wigan, Rochdale and Bury with |Carlisle as a game that is a sort of Derby.

1. Blackpool - I pity them. I pitied them even when they were in the Prem, they're a deluded bunch of halfwits in the main.

2. Burnley - Great derby matches from the 80s until recently - but I have sneaky respect for the club and the fans I have met.

3. Rovers - Deluded set of bandwagon-jumping wankers with an unfounded sense of superiority. Every wedding, barbecue, christening, social event I ever attended, talk turns to football and there'll be some plastic cunt who hasn't been on in 15 years sneering at Preston and Burnley.

Is it fair to say that those from the South of the Ribble that have to live amongst Horse Fiddlers would look at T'Rovers as our biggest rivals & those to the North view Blackpool as the one?

Not for me. I’m a South of the Ribble lad and the main thrust of my hatred is to Blackpool.

Probably Blackburn 2nd though. In particular with Blackburn my hatred is to the real plastics who turned up in their droves in the 90’s Walker Hey-Day and still linger of a fashion to this day clinging on to those increasingly distant memories.

I know a few older folk who are Blackburn fans well before that whole period and I don’t really have any issue with them, decent enough level-headed folk. But the 90’s era Plastics are just a disgusting breed.

Not for me. I’m a South of the Ribble lad and the main thrust of my hatred is to Blackpool.

Probably Blackburn 2nd though. In particular with Blackburn my hatred is to the real plastics who turned up in their droves in the 90’s Walker Hey-Day and still linger of a fashion to this day clinging on to those increasingly distant memories.

I know a few older folk who are Blackburn fans well before that whole period and I don’t really have any issue with them, decent enough level-headed folk. But the 90’s era Plastics are just a disgusting breed.
Amen brother!

Burnley, Oldest local Derby in the League, game's are more entertaining. How can it be the Lashers they've self imploded, there's no one to have rivalry with. You have to feel for the ones that just attend games and get abuse and those abusing them, are not genuine Lashers. Plastics are still living on their days in the Prem. The majority are fakes. So Burnley Fans.

Being from Longridge & Age 40 ish means I have a lot of glory hunting plastic mates who support Blackburn from when they won the prem, so it’s Rovers first for me.
Blackpool second as its a historical rivalry that stretches back years
Burnley third as they are the team that in my lifetime who we’ve had most games against
I also can’t stand Bristol City but can’t really give any solid reason as to why

Would have thought the whole point of a local derby is they are the closest team to you, they probably started in caveman days when one group of mud huts started a scrap with the next over a dinosaur leg.

Preston and Blackburn have been fighting each other over the crossing of the Ribble at Walton-le Dale since before Blackpool even existed, and they are our nearest neighbours at around 8 miles.

The one thing that stands out from all this is that everyone has their own idea and the passing of time can change things.

I don’t know, but the Blackpool thing probably didn’t start till the fans started arguing over who was best between Finney or Mathews, of course we know that Mathews was a decent winger but it’s laughable that anyone could think he could compare with the greatest player, ever. ;)

Would have thought the whole point of a local derby is they are the closest team to you, they probably started in caveman days when one group of mud huts started a scrap with the next over a dinosaur leg.

Preston and Blackburn have been fighting each other over the crossing of the Ribble at Walton-le Dale since before Blackpool even existed, and they are our nearest neighbours at around 8 miles.

The one thing that stands out from all this is that everyone has their own idea and the passing of time can change things.

I don’t know, but the Blackpool thing probably didn’t start till the fans started arguing over who was best between Finney or Mathews, of course we know that Mathews was a decent winger but it’s laughable that anyone could think he could compare with the greatest player, ever. ;)
Many people who saw the two players including my dad summed it up. Mathews was arguably the better out and out winger but Sir Tom was the complete footballer who could literally play in any position and make the opposition look Sunday league.