Overseas recruitment

daddyman16

Reserve
My main concern about recruiting abroad is more the cultural / homesickness angle. Good reasons why some foreign players may struggle to perform at their best.

It always made me laugh how players from abroad talk about the weather not being like it is in Malága or wherever.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Hilarious how anyone could think he couldn’t speak English.

Have some of you been in lockdown for sixty years?
Yeah, but does he get the references to 1970s movies when the town end is doing its finest 2-part harmony between John Travolta and Olivia Neutron Bomb

Mickypne

Advisor to the Owner
I'm not a fan of abroad signings as it hinders the national side. We have so much English talent in this country and a great deal ain't even in their respective squads as foreigners seem to be a better choice to clubs. The England team has some wonderful talent in it who are very young (just have an appalling manager), the likes of sancho and foden. There is lots of this talent sat on benches or even leaving the game because a club prefers a young lad from Barcelona. However I also understand why clubs do this. Sancho or foden will cost you 100 million plus but the European or South American version costs you half that so clubs (like pne) end up with no choice to look abroad. Riis looks a belter to me so far, if he was English hed have been more like 3 million and too much for us. I don't actually understand why English players cost much more.

miff

Manager
Leaving the game when they earn upwards of £30,000 a week are you serious? If that's the case they could come here and get £10,000 a week. And i don't know any jobs that pay that sort of wage a young lad can do.

OP
S

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Personally i'm not bothered were we sign Players from as long as they can do the Business or show real future potential so in theory this is probably a good direction to take.
However as we as a Nation voted to leave the EU and restrict freedom of Movement will this not affect this potential market for us from January - granted that Top Players with proven quality will still be able to come over but presumably that's not our market.

Yes I believe there are rules around players having to have played so many games for their country depending on the country’s ranking. Awful news for the likes of Brentford.
This issue is starting to become a real talking point. Not sure where the EFL stand on it but looks like the PL might try to bypass the FA and do their own deal with the government.

baysidepne

Manager
This issue is starting to become a real talking point. Not sure where the EFL stand on it but looks like the PL might try to bypass the FA and do their own deal with the government.
Looks like Riis could be the last overseas signing for some time if The FA get their way with their Work Permit proposals.

£15m or being one of the top capped players for their country which means you'd lose the likes of Benrahma, Norgaard, Mbeumo, Jensen, Sluga, Riis etc joining teams in the EFL (they're just off the top of my head, know there's probably countless other examples plus the ones at Barnsley and Coventry who joined from the continent in the last window)

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Looks like Riis could be the last overseas signing for some time if The FA get their way with their Work Permit proposals.

£15m or being one of the top capped players for their country which means you'd lose the likes of Benrahma, Norgaard, Mbeumo, Jensen, Sluga, Riis etc joining teams in the EFL (they're just off the top of my head, know there's probably countless other examples plus the ones at Barnsley and Coventry who joined from the continent in the last window)
Just another way to ensure the big clubs keep their place at the top of the tree

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron

In a way that might benefit us and the big teams because of our ties with Ireland giving us pirority. Doesn't excuse the stupidity of said proposal on the whole

Spavin Stardust

Forum Patron
Patron

Madness! It would exclude lots of Bosman signings who aren’t regular internationals? The arbitrary £15m limit deliberately excludes smaller clubs from making overseas signings. Leaving them all stuck trying to sign UK/Eire players. While the big boys can splash £15m plus on a whim, securing their seats at the top table and all but keeping the riff raff out.

OP
S

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner

I get that the FA are keen to see the bigger clubs invest more time in young British talent rather than signing a load of foreign youngsters for their academies, but if that tweet is correct it would basically mean only the big clubs who can buy full, regular internationals will be able to buy foreign players, giving them an advantage over all the smaller clubs in the pyramid.

If foreign players are out of reach for Championship clubs it would also result in the prices of domestic talent going through the roof.

FA and EFL need to take a long hard look at this. They've basically got the freedom to do whatever they like, which makes me think they'll end up getting it very wrong.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Madness! It would exclude lots of Bosman signings who aren’t regular internationals? The arbitrary £15m limit deliberately excludes smaller clubs from making overseas signings. Leaving them all stuck trying to sign UK/Eire players. While the big boys can splash £15m plus on a whim, securing their seats at the top table and all but keeping the riff raff out.
It will also see a huge rise in transfer fees for players born in the Western European Isles which would again exclude all but the clubs that are happy to spend obscene amounts of money on players

Spavin Stardust

Forum Patron
Patron
It will also see a huge rise in transfer fees for players born in the Western European Isles which would again exclude all but the clubs that are happy to spend obscene amounts of money on players
Could wage demands from those players also increase as they will potentially be much more in demand? Makes the contract situation at PNE over the next 12 months even more farcical than it currently is?