Overseas recruitment

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Could wage demands from those players also increase as they will potentially be much more in demand? Makes the contract situation at PNE over the next 12 months even more farcical than it currently is?
I'd guess so, the players are in a much stronger position as clubs won't be able to seek out foreign players who will accept lower wages.

MBcha

Forum Patron
Patron
Will this also lead to some very obscure signings down the road as the less financially powerful clubs shop for full internationals from lesser nations?

Winger from Turkmenistan incoming!

Mickypne

Advisor to the Owner
Looks like Riis could be the last overseas signing for some time if The FA get their way with their Work Permit proposals.

£15m or being one of the top capped players for their country which means you'd lose the likes of Benrahma, Norgaard, Mbeumo, Jensen, Sluga, Riis etc joining teams in the EFL (they're just off the top of my head, know there's probably countless other examples plus the ones at Barnsley and Coventry who joined from the continent in the last window)
Might help the national side. More English lads will play

HunterLionheart

Advisor to the Owner
Will this also lead to some very obscure signings down the road as the less financially powerful clubs shop for full internationals from lesser nations?

Winger from Turkmenistan incoming!

I think the current work permit rules only apply to full internationals from the top 50 ranked nations.

pnertop

Reserve
Might help the national side. More English lads will play

They tried a strict homegrown player quota in the Russian league where every starting 11 had to contain 5 (I think) 'homegrown' players. Aim was to improve national squad and bring through youngsters.
Didn't work - ended up creating a premium on established/experienced Russian players - limiting chances for Russian youth players further.

They've just relaxed the quota in Russia.

OP
S

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
I;ve every confidence in Pritti Patel to get the imigration rules spot on.........

we might just have to play our home games on a remote island in the south pacific
The rules for football on immigration post-Brexit will mostly be down to what the FA decides to do, rather than the Home Office.

dawsonsjs

Reserve
That is not so sedgwick...negotiations have been going on all year between the Home Office, Prem , Football League and FA.. The Home Office and then the Prem hold the upper hand. The Prem's case for continuing a free for all is based on the overseas income the Prem generates but also undermined by the revenue and number of players from from outside Europe. The Football League has no political clout..the FA favours a massive clampdown comparable to what used to occur with only recognised internationals....an issue is at what level, full or otherwise. The Home Office favours limited work permits...and that is the most likely outcome at the present time with remaining issues being questions of for how long and to whom..again estd international seems the most probable outcome. Only thing that is certain at the present time is that the influx of good Euro youngsters, 16 year olds etc going to the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc, will be stopped. ......this is being used as a lever by the Prem for FA support, they pay to get an even greater grab of clubs Academy players following on from the increased emphasis on clubs developing their own players. The Home Office holds all the cards and is likely to tie in football with other Brexit provision..and , as I say, that is likely to be a ltd nos of work permits.

It really doesn't make financial sense for clubs to splash out on European players at the present time unless they are prepared to see them lose all their value. On the other hand clubs like PNE should be looking yo improve their Academy set up.

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
That is not so sedgwick...negotiations have been going on all year between the Home Office, Prem , Football League and FA.. The Home Office and then the Prem hold the upper hand. The Prem's case for continuing a free for all is based on the overseas income the Prem generates but also undermined by the revenue and number of players from from outside Europe. The Football League has no political clout..the FA favours a massive clampdown comparable to what used to occur with only recognised internationals....an issue is at what level, full or otherwise. The Home Office favours limited work permits...and that is the most likely outcome at the present time with remaining issues being questions of for how long and to whom..again estd international seems the most probable outcome. Only thing that is certain at the present time is that the influx of good Euro youngsters, 16 year olds etc going to the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc, will be stopped. ......this is being used as a lever by the Prem for FA support, they pay to get an even greater grab of clubs Academy players following on from the increased emphasis on clubs developing their own players. The Home Office holds all the cards and is likely to tie in football with other Brexit provision..and , as I say, that is likely to be a ltd nos of work permits.

It really doesn't make financial sense for clubs to splash out on European players at the present time unless they are prepared to see them lose all their value. On the other hand clubs like PNE should be looking yo improve their Academy set up.
Do you have a source for all this stuff, especially this bold claim (my emphasis): "Only thing that is certain at the present time is that the influx of good Euro youngsters, 16 year olds etc going to the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc, will be stopped".

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
Would Riis have gained entry under this new system?

Also, don’t think this foils any attempts we might make in the future to bring over players from overseas. I think the remit, under TH, was always going to involve hunting for young, ambitious players in the less well-known European leagues.

baysidepne

Manager
Also, don’t think this foils any attempts we might make in the future to bring over players from overseas. I think the remit, under TH, was always going to involve hunting for young, ambitious players in the less well-known European leagues.
It completely foils it. Ireland-England will be exempt, however this means no more Emil Riis coming to the Championship.

Would think Brentford/Barnsley who recruit well in the continent will be looking to a plan B now for recruitment, as will we probably.

All well and good shopping in the UK for players but when there's already a massive premium "buying British" it's going to be very difficult for us to compete.

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
It completely foils it. Ireland-England will be exempt, however this means no more Emil Riis coming to the Championship.

Would think Brentford/Barnsley who recruit well in the continent will be looking to a plan B now for recruitment, as will we probably.

All well and good shopping in the UK for players but when there's already a massive premium "buying British" it's going to be very difficult for us to compete.
It says something about special dispensation for U21 players though. That’s why I asked whether Riis might be exempt.