PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Overseas recruitment

Preston North End ready to do more shopping abroad confirms boss Alex Neil

Preston could well do more business abroad due to the cost of buying in the domestic market.

PNE boss Neil said: “The biggest difficulty we have got is that when anyone in this country shows potential and could come to the Championship, there will be four or five clubs after them.

“There might be more joy going to the continent because not everyone’s web spreads that far.

“It might be that you can find someone, get a gem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having personally spoken to someone at the club less than 6 months ago, this surprises me.

I was told there was a real reluctance from above to look abroad due to the lack of commitment from foreign players who may use north end as a “stepping stone”.

Culturally, Scandinavia is probably about as similar to the UK as we’re likely to get so I wouldn’t be shocked if we looked there again.

Having personally spoken to someone at the club less than 6 months ago, this surprises me.

I was told there was a real reluctance from above to look abroad due to the lack of commitment from foreign players who may use north end as a “stepping stone”.

Culturally, Scandinavia is probably about as similar to the UK as we’re likely to get so I wouldn’t be shocked if we looked there again.
Being a stepping stone isn't such a bad thing if you're making big profits from selling them on. And ultimately British players are just as likely to view us as a stepping stone to a bigger move, that's the reality of the size of club we are.

I’m not sure foreign players would lack any more commitment than any of our English players to be honest. Let’s face it, the majority of our squad probably see North End as a stepping stone. I’d imagine it’s one of the reasons why the big 4 are holding out.

Being a stepping stone isn't such a bad thing if you're making big profits from selling them on. And ultimately British players are just as likely to view us as a stepping stone to a bigger move, that's the reality of the size of club we are.

Agreed.

I’m not sure foreign players would lack any more commitment than any of our English players to be honest. Let’s face it, the majority of our squad probably see North End as a stepping stone. I’d imagine it’s one of the reasons why the big 4 are holding out.
It was something the Riddler highlighted in the FTF pod too.

Agreed, and that’s what I said to them.

I’m glad we’ve broadened our horizons.

Im OK with someone using us a stepping stone if it means we make a good profit.

To be fair mate, that was 6 months ago (or just under, I don’t know). Less than a month since we signed Riis and he’s made something of an impact. Opinion may well have changed since your last update for this very reason.

To be fair mate, that was 6 months ago (or just under, I don’t know). Less than a month since we signed Riis and he’s made something of an impact. Opinion may well have changed since your last update for this very reason.
It was in July, so, this transfer window.

I posed the question and there was a reluctance, so I’m glad there’s been a chance of heart. I’m all for it.

I'd be disappointed if a player had so little ambition that they didn't see us as a stepping stone really. If we signed a player and he decided, 'this'll do, championship is my level, I dont want to go any higher' I'd be seriously doubting his character.