PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Back Bench MP Boris Johnson

I didn’t know they already have a big foot in the door. But isn’t the step to 5G big enough to make it a good place to review?
Is the whole 5G thing being overhyped? From what I heard, as a layman, it’s a big step forward and I would have guessed that it would render us much more vulnerable if we use a potentially malicious supplier now - and if they were malicious in the past , on more “basic” technology, I would hope that is now more easily detected.
Don't actually know a lot about 5G, but I sometimes have to cover cybersecurity for electrical systems as part of my work (attacks on electrical systems are a major concern).

The main problem is nothing to do with backdoors or inbuilt vulnerabilities - it lies in persuading electricity companies to take responsibility for their own cybersecurity and spend the money to do so. Too many of them don't understand the seriousness of the problem, or go at it half-arsed instead of installing layered defences and paying for expertise.

With increasingly smart grids, ongoing cybersecurity is just as important as strengthening systems against weather or installing new system management software. To be fair, regulators also have to make sure that utilities have access to funds for cybersecurity.

Last edited:
Boris centralising power and increasing his own direct control (or Dom's)

Julian Smith managed to broker a deal to get Stormont going - and generally welcomed in Norrhern Ireland. But apparently not a Boris puppet - so he’s sacked after about 15 weeks in the job.

This is more and more Trumpian. Are people getting fearful yet - or are we, as a nation, like good men doing nothing.

Julian Smith managed to broker a deal to get Stormont going - and generally welcomed in Norrhern Ireland. But apparently not a Boris puppet - so he’s sacked after about 15 weeks in the job.

This is more and more Trumpian. Are people getting fearful yet - or are we, as a nation, like good men doing nothing.
Take irredeemably useless ministers and replace them with other irredeemably useless ministers while ensuring that they're yes men/women.

(I accept that Smith did a good job as attested to by all the positive comments from politicians in Ireland and NI)

Javid being replaced as Chancellor has seen the pound go up. There is a chance the pound against the euro could end the day at it's strongest since June 2016.

Shame to see Saj go. Very inexperienced bloke replacing him.

Javid is economically illiterate and was in entirely the wrong role - if there is a correct role it probably would have been the Home Office.

Some of his utterings rival Raab’s but credit to him for refusing to bow to the demands of a mad man.

Shame to see Saj go. Very inexperienced bloke replacing him.

This made me laugh. Experience in terms of tenure is of little use if youre not competent. But then Im biased. Most if not all Tory ministers over the last 4 years I start from the premise they are useless because a. Theyre Tory b. Recent govts have degraded the country massively in terms of properity and fairness and quality of goverance c. theyve spent most of their time on Brexit to the exclusion of their Depts. Johnson is just going to pertually sack and rotate cabinet a la Trump to ensure debate is dissuaded and punished and to make him look presidential.

This made me laugh. Experience in terms of tenure is of little use if youre not competent. But then Im biased. Most if not all Tory ministers over the last 4 years I start from the premise they are useless because a. Theyre Tory b. Recent govts have degraded the country massively in terms of properity and fairness and quality of goverance c. theyve spent most of their time on Brexit to the exclusion of their Depts. Johnson is just going to pertually sack and rotate cabinet a la Trump to ensure debate is dissuaded and punished and to make him look presidential.

Exactly!

Beckham turned up at Clevedon tesco yesterday after watching his son play locally. Checkout staff a dither. Made me wonder. Id actually prefer him as PM as he understands where he comes from and is genuine and humble. Polar opposite to the present idiot incumbent with an IQ but not a kin clue.