PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Parched Peas.....?????

europne

Patron
What exactly is in them, what peas are they?

And how do you prepare them in the traditional Preston method.

Ta.

Maple Peas.

Soak overnight in boiled water with a teaspoon full of bicarb.

Drain and rinse, then hard boil them for 15-20 mins then cover and leave to simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Ensure the peas are soft before eating.

Serve with pepper and vinegar.

Don't laugh but you only used to be able to buy them in a pet shop..... Maybe times have changed. :)

Top tip: DON'T put salt in them when soaking......they go rock hard like bullets.

I made a batch last year and excitedly spent hours preparing them, only to be left gutted when I prepared to tuck into them and they were like ball bearings.

I went out into the garden in a rage and aggressively flung em into the air, sulking.

Maple Peas.

Drain and rinse, then hard boil them for 15-20 mins then cover and leave to simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Ensure the peas are soft before eating.

Mmmm, making my mouth water

Maple Peas.

I remember getting a bag of them from a shop on the corner of Ashton St and Fylde Road, after my dad had took us to mass at St Walburgs, when he dipped in he took 66% of the bag, much to the annoyance of me and my sister 🤣

What possess people to cook these abominations.

Went trick or treating once and was given a little paper cup of these, I wanted money, the cheeky bastards wanted me well fed instead. Evil doesn't have even cut it for me. I had about 6 of them, can't remember the taste, I just remember my distain at not being given 20p.

They certainly have. The only supermarket ive found them available in is Booths :)

The fruit and veg stall on the new indoor market sells them. (The one opposite ish to the fish stall)
Or
If you can’t be arsed making them, take a container to the parch pea/spud man and get a few portions to take home 👍👍

The flat pie shop near the old bus station always used to have a bowl of them in the window.

Pet shops usually sell them, the pet/ fishing one in Gammull does I think.

What possess people to cook these abominations.

Went trick or treating once and was given a little paper cup of these, I wanted money, the cheeky bastards wanted me well fed instead. Evil doesn't have even cut it for me. I had about 6 of them, can't remember the taste, I just remember my distain at not being given 20p.
If you’d gone to my sisters house you would have got boiled sprouts coated in chocolate and wrapped up in Ferrero Rocher wrappers

Booths sell bags of parched peas, dried, for cooking, with instructions.
Just spotted them today.....

What a great shop that is......