PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Paul Mariner dies aged 68

Gosh that’s no age. RIP

he’d had health issues or some surgery in the last few years, or is my mind playing tricks?

Remember being on the paddock for the Torquay game and stood next to that little wooden hut that was over the players entrance to the pitch (I think?). Paul Mariner was in the hut doing some radio commentary and was going mental with excitement when the game ramped up. You could tell he just loved the game and that night gave me a fond memory of the club as it used to be.
RIP fella 👊⚽️

RIP..Very sad, great man.

I was in Bayswater, West London long time ago, 89/90 and he was coming out of Whiteleys shopping centre.

I said hello Paul, he was with his wife, he didn't know me but nevertheless, he smiled and saluted me.

He was looking as fit as a fiddle, suntanned, khaki shorts and long hair. I think he was living in America then, playing for some team, great player, started at Plymouth I think.

So sad to hear this. Especially as a Chorleyan I've kept an eye on what he's been up to over the years. A great role model for us lads growing up. Fantastic 'hold up' centre forward very underrated. I watched him play a few times. The game which stands out for me-he was playing for ipswich at Old Trafford. The game ended 2-1 to Ipswich with the likes of Gates and Brazil giving United the run around. Paul Mariners performance was something of a masterclass in hold up play. His timing and reading of the game was exceptional.
RIP.

From my home town
Remembered for never being seen without a football
A really nice down to earth guy and a very sad loss
Began his career with Chorley and off course went on to play for England

Yes and according to Sky news only played for Ipswich??? At least that's the only club shown on their acknowledgement of the news.