PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Pearson - Absolute liability

You sound like you know what you're talking about. However, Pearson's 3 red cards this season alone, along with his numerous bookings and suspensions suggests otherwise. I rest my case.

He averages 2.7 tackles a game, our next highest is Ben Davies at 1.5. Don’t think we’ve ever had a player that efficient at winning the ball back.

We’re you one of the people who used to say John Welsh was a better tackler than Pearson?

He averages 2.7 tackles a game, our next highest is Ben Davies at 1.5. Don’t think we’ve ever had a player that efficient at winning the ball back.

We’re you one of the people who used to say John Welsh was a better tackler than Pearson?
Only at bus stops.

It's worth reflecting on that stat for a moment and its true value to the team, in comparison with other players.

I trust you appreciate that we're overwhelmingly likely to give the ball back to the opposition within about 2.7 passes of the 2.7 times that Pearson wins it?

By the way, midfield terrier Gally is actually next highest with 1.6!

Pearson - tackles 2.7, goals 0, assists 0.
Gally - tackles 1.6, goals 6, assists 7
Browne - tackles 1.3, goals 11, assists 4.

Without Browne's goals, we'd be 10 points worse off.

According to a couple of posters, we'd be in a relegation scrap without Pearson.

Swap him for someone who chips in with 5 goals and 5 assists and we'd be in the play offs.

...and put Browne in Pearson's position and he'd have nowhere near as many goals and we'd lose more games because he can't tackle, read the game or dictate play like Pearson.

Convinced you're trolling because you're posts in regards to Pearson are ridiculous.

I love a bit of healthy debate as much as the next man.

I didn't suggest playing Browne in Pearson's position.

I suggested that:
a) the value of the tackling stat to the side is virtually zero;
b) the tangible contributions of Browne and Gally far outweigh Pearson's tangible contribution and
c) we ought to be looking for a holding midfielder that can bring more to the party

Fwiw, i could put up with watching Pearson patrol the centre circle if he wasn't so intent on trying to emulate Sergio Ramos' disciplinary record.

But he is.

So I can't.

I suggested that:
b) the tangible contributions of Browne and Gally far outweigh Pearson's tangible contribution and
c) we ought to be looking for a holding midfielder that can bring more to the party

Fwiw, i could put up with watching Pearson patrol the centre circle if he wasn't so intent on trying to emulate Sergio Ramos' disciplinary record.

But he is.

So I can't.

Every stat can be twisted to suit a point of view.

I also think that with the style Neil adopts, with the widemen and the number 10 breaking forward and being asked to press it also means that Pearson can rarely get into a position where he can attack or have a shot on goal. He's asked to protect the entire defence by himself more often than not and it partly contributes to his booking tally as well as his lack of attempts on goal.

We won't find a better holding midfielder than Pearson on our budget, not a chance. Only one that comes close to him at this level is Phillips at Leeds, Trybull at Norwich is decent but not as good as Pearson. He's an outstanding player who needs to take himself out of situations he doesn't need to be in without it affecting his game.

It's worth reflecting on that stat for a moment and its true value to the team, in comparison with other players.

I trust you appreciate that we're overwhelmingly likely to give the ball back to the opposition within about 2.7 passes of the 2.7 times that Pearson wins it?

By the way, midfield terrier Gally is actually next highest with 1.6!

Pearson - tackles 2.7, goals 0, assists 0.
Gally - tackles 1.6, goals 6, assists 7
Browne - tackles 1.3, goals 11, assists 4.

Without Browne's goals, we'd be 10 points worse off.

According to a couple of posters, we'd be in a relegation scrap without Pearson.

Swap him for someone who chips in with 5 goals and 5 assists and we'd be in the play offs.

Jordan Pickford was shit in his time here because he didnt get any goals or assists. See how dumb that sounds. Its not his job.

Richie Towell has 5 goals and assists for Rotherham this season, are you seriously suggesting we'd be a playoff side with Towell over BP.

At this point there is no real need to debate further, as youre either a WUM or you view football like a five year old.

I suggested that:

But he is.

So I can't.

a) absolute nonsense. So Kante and Fernandinho and all the players that virtually dictate games by winning the ball back are no use because they don't get assists or goals?
b) absolute nonsense again
c) There isn't one

Brownhill (Released by PNE).
Played 36 scored 3 goals. 5th in the league with Bristol City.
Pearson
Played 19 scored 0. Mid-table at Preston.

Pearson

He wasn't released, he refused a new deal, joined Bristol City for more money and we got compensation.

He's also nowhere near as good as Pearson.

Pearson

Don't get your point. Brownhill isn't a defensive midfielder Pearson is.

At the time of their breakthrough I thought Brownhill and Browne were very similar.
So...
Brownhill
Browne
Played 34 scored 11 goals. Midtable with Preston.
Make of that what you will but if someone said would you rather have Brownhill or Browne then I would say Browne any day of the week. I don't care where Bristol City are in the league.

Comparing Brownhill with Pearson is like comparing Makelele with Kaka and comparing who was better. In other words..... Pointless.

I’m not sure that will happen, they would be inundated!

I do think referees should be answerable and explain their decisions. I can just about accept Pearson’s yellow card, I gave the referee grief at the time but I can see why he gave it - although I don’t agree with it. It was for the foul incidentally, not dissent as has been speculated. However, once he didn’t book the Leeds full back for a challenge twice as bad any understanding went out of the window.

The referee last night will be in the elite list very soon
This was the same ref who was influenced by the Wolves manager’s comments before last seasons game and was completely biased during the game, sending Welsh off for two innocuous challenges.

It will be interesting to see how AN gets on without Pearson ,his record without him starting at PNE is garbage.
Hopefully the new PNE manager will be better at handling Pearsons temperament. Some of the other players may have needed AN's encouragement and could deteriorate without him, that won't happen with Ben Pearson ,in fact he may be all the better for it.
Pearson will be fine without AN ,can AN survive without Pearson? Not on the evidence of whats happened here.
Pearson staying is more important than AN staying ,imo.

I'd be willing to believe that Pearson will be allowed to leave the club in Jan 2020, with 18months of his contract left to run.

However, the club would stipulate that any early sale would be dependent upon a vastly cleaned-up disciplinary record.

I think we would all agree that that won't happen before the summer. Hence the next transfer window after that.

Some of the recent incidents (not the RED vs Leeds) could be taken as player protest. And usually such ruthless, anti-fan advice comes from an agent lusting for a payday.

This may or not be the case but if so, it's ironic that not winning the recent games has made it a lot harder for Pearson to get to the EPL THIS SUMMER.

Personally, I don't class Pearson as a liability.

One more yellow when he comes back and hes banned for another 3 games, that will be 16 games missed, I think 2 might run in to next season.

Perhaps we shouldn’t play him again this season if the play offs are impossible when he is eligible again.

When he is sent off the team's planning is disrupted. When suspended he is of no value. If sold he has a value that can be used.

For those who are interested, Ben's agent is
KEY SPORTS MANAGEMENT LTD.
Unit 002, 30 Great Guildford Street
SE1 0HS London
enquiries@keysports.co.uk

Metal Box Factory, Unit 002, 30 Great Guildford Street, London, England, SE1 0HS

The 6 active directors are :
Steven Richard Denos
Warwick Horton
Michael Yannis Michael
John Peter Morris
Tim Soden
Colin Kenneth Gordon

I'm guessing the next bit: one of those is the agent for Ben.