Pearson

simo

Manager
I think they already are challenging. Pickfords form this season has been pretty shocking. Henderson has played better than him this season.
Pickford dropped a clanger at the weekend. I like him because of the connection to us and how well he played but I don't think he should be considered the undisputed No. 1 at the moment.

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
Henderson has been the best performing English keeper this season. Even more so as #1 with a newly promoted team that almost everyone (myself included) had as certs to be relegated.

Instead, they are pushing for a CL place.

Remarkable!

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
Really? I think he's one of the more natural ball strikers. I commented last week in the warm-ups that he scored nearly every one of his shots, while Nuge missed 8 out of 9.

He has ball control, curl and precision.

Stick him up front and watch the goals flood in :)
We must just watch different shoot ins...... I usually work in the principle as the nearer I am to the back of the nets during the shoot ins the safer I am.... 10 rows up and above makes me a target !?

Ron Burgundy

Manager
Think people get overly carried away with Pearson, he's good don't get me wrong and is back to his best at the moment but it will have to be proven whether he is a top 6 midfielder.

Realistic

First Team
Harrop does mate
Really? I think he's one of the more natural ball strikers. I commented last week in the warm-ups that he scored nearly every one of his shots, while Nuge missed 8 out of 9.

He has ball control, curl and precision.

Stick him up front and watch the goals flood in :)
No matter who leathers it, I just think if the ball is launched with 'enough' on it (on target) then you've got a chance. Seeing as we didn't sign another striker, couldn't everyone practice shooting ? Maybe they do, I don't know but I'd like to see more attempts when nothing else is working.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Pearson has played what you might call an advanced sweeper role - just in front rather than just behind the back four - for at least the two seasons before now. But there have been flashes of more creative attacking play from him over that time and now it does appear that he is advancing more and looking to play defence-splitting passes from much further upfield. In a sense what he is doing is making up for the still rather baffling and certainly dismaying decline of Browne as an attacking force this season. Browne instead has become a more workmanlike player and to some extent is now shouldering some of the defensive work that Pearson used to carry out so allowing Pearson that bit more freedom to get forward. Whatever we are heavily reliant on the trio of Pearson, Browne and Johnson to continue to be available though Harrop has shown that he can now slot in when required with no diminution of overall flair and creativity.

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Some keeper that Henderson, got some good keepers in line for England at the moment.
I disagree with this. We have some decent keepers, but none are outstanding right now. Pickford has become erratic, Henderson has done well but has made some mistakes, Ramsdale at Bournemouth looks decent, Pope at Burnley as well. But none of them would be 1st choice at what are classed as the bigger clubs in the league.

Same with centre half, apart from Gomez, we don't have outstanding players in that position. As good as we are going forward, defensively England is pretty average.

SouthRibbleSim

First Team
I disagree with this. We have some decent keepers, but none are outstanding right now. Pickford has become erratic, Henderson has done well but has made some mistakes, Ramsdale at Bournemouth looks decent, Pope at Burnley as well. But none of them would be 1st choice at what are classed as the bigger clubs in the league.

Same with centre half, apart from Gomez, we don't have outstanding players in that position. As good as we are going forward, defensively England is pretty average.
True, but I think they’re a little better than decent. Henderson is only bettered by Allison and Pope. I think he looks the real deal, obviously it’s early to tell with it being his first season in the top flight but we’ve definitely got some talent in our keepers.

Agree with the defence though, definitely the weakest part of the England squad.

It's frustrating that after years of having great CBs, England are struggling so much there now. Maybe Tomori/Gomez is a partnership worth developing though.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Harry Maguire has always been good for England. I think due to the price tag, some have expected a Van Dijk type impact from him at United, but he's still been good for them.

A back 4 of Alexander-Arnold - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell would be decent.

The main problem England have had defensively for years has been the lack of a proper holding midfield player.

sf

Advisor to the Owner
Hoping Tomori keeps getting more game time at Chelsea, been excellent when he's played this year.

Still think it's a shame Ampadu chose Wales, big prospect him, Choudury at Leicester is a good DM though.

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Harry Maguire has always been good for England. I think due to the price tag, some have expected a Van Dijk type impact from him at United, but he's still been good for them.

A back 4 of Alexander-Arnold - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell would be decent.

The main problem England have had defensively for years has been the lack of a proper holding midfield player.
I don't think Maguire has been great to be honest. And in the last 18 months he's certainly been at fault or partly at fault for goals conceded in England games. I think he's another in the decent standard, but the rest of Europe will see him as an area they can attempt to punish.

Centre midfield in the main really. Really annoyed at the little game time Foden has been given at City. He really could have been an important player in the Summer. You could argue that right down the middle of the team we are a weaker than a lot of international sides, Kane apart. But it's out wide with likes of AA, Walker, Wan Bisakka, Chilwell, Rose, Williams, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford etc where we have plenty of very strong options.

JohnPNE

Manager
I don't think Maguire has been great to be honest. And in the last 18 months he's certainly been at fault or partly at fault for goals conceded in England games. I think he's another in the decent standard, but the rest of Europe will see him as an area they can attempt to punish.

Centre midfield in the main really. Really annoyed at the little game time Foden has been given at City. He really could have been an important player in the Summer. You could argue that right down the middle of the team we are a weaker than a lot of international sides, Kane apart. But it's out wide with likes of AA, Walker, Wan Bisakka, Chilwell, Rose, Williams, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford etc where we have plenty of very strong options.
To be fair I do think we have a lot of outstanding number tens - Mount, Maddison, Grealish. All three having superb seasons. Who would you pick out of them three.
Henderson and Oxlade Chamberlain are excellent box to box midfielders.
The thing we are missing though is a decent holding midfielder and a decent central defender. Unfortunately in future tournaments this will probably be our downfall.
Would just like to add Man City letting Sancho go is up there with Chelsea letting De Bruyne and Salah go.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Interesting, they've just done a feature on talk sport I think with Matt Holland and Beckford on air. Holland picked his 'five championship players who will move to the premier league next season.'
They were....
Mitrovic
Jude Bellingham
Phillips
Watkins
Eze.
I'm not sure about Pearson in the Premier League. I feel if he goes there, it will likely be with one of the team's promoted from the championship who will have been able to have had a good look at him at close quarters this season. As such, they will probably be one of next seasons weaker premier league teams and therefore likely to be overrun by most of their opponents. Pearson included.

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
Interesting, they've just done a feature on talk sport I think with Matt Holland and Beckford on air. Holland picked his 'five championship players who will move to the premier league next season.'
They were....
Mitrovic
Jude Bellingham
Phillips
Watkins
Eze.
I'm not sure about Pearson in the Premier League. I feel if he goes there, it will likely be with one of the team's promoted from the championship who will have been able to have had a good look at him at close quarters this season. As such, they will probably be one of next seasons weaker premier league teams and therefore likely to be overrun by most of their opponents. Pearson included.
Not if its US !!!