Penalties. Are they ruining the game?

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
Not so sure the penalties are ruining the game. Its the cheating soft a---d players who act like they've been shot at every opportunity. Watching matches on TV without the crowd noise is a real eye opener. The screams as they hit the deck are comical. Trouble is its been endemic in the game for too long to stop it. Time was if you went down (I know it sounds rude) it was a sign of weakness. Now its encouraged by Managers, pundits and fans. In fact if you don't do it you are criticised for being too honest. Oh Lordy...........I'm officially an "Old Geezer".

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
Not so sure the penalties are ruining the game. Its the cheating soft a---d players who act like they've been shot at every opportunity. Watching matches on TV without the crowd noise is a real eye opener. The screams as they hit the deck are comical. Trouble is its been endemic in the game for too long to stop it. Time was if you went down (I know it sounds rude) it was a sign of weakness. Now its encouraged by Managers, pundits and fans. In fact if you don't do it you are criticised for being too honest. Oh Lordy...........I'm officially an "Old Geezer".
There will never ever be a time when being honest isn’t the right thing

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
Love that
Change the cheats
There’s just no deterrent right now. In fact I’d argue there’s actual encouragement
pundits and commentators aren’t without blame “oh he should have gone down there”
Translates to he should have cheated
How’s is it ever ok to say such a thing ?
Weird that.....we were obviously typing at the same time. Couldn't agree more.

Kathryn

Advisor to the Owner
Love that
Change the cheats
There’s just no deterrent right now. In fact I’d argue there’s actual encouragement
pundits and commentators aren’t without blame “oh he should have gone down there”
Translates to he should have cheated
How’s is it ever ok to say such a thing ?
They’ll just employ better diving coaches.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
Incredibly difficult, I'd like to see the end of players deliberately going into contact rather than trying to avoid it but that leaves an awful lot open to interpretation and its hard enough as is it.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
2 of my personal favourites when people dive are ".....given the referee a decision to make" and "anticipated the contact"

It did my head in when Hughes took a bit of criticism from some quarters for “giving the referee a decision to make” when Sam Gallagher drove his own foot into the turf. in order to trip himself up, as he ran in the vicinity of Hughes.

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
or " Won the Penalty " - i hate that one !
Another blatant dive in the Leeds/Southampton game earlier by a Southampton player.
This time, the referee didn't fall for it.
I'm all for a booking and having a Rugby style Sin Bin. It'd soon stamp out the cheating 'cause the managers wouldn't accept it from the players if it cost the team points.

pneduncan

Forum Patron
Patron
Another blatant dive in the Leeds/Southampton game earlier by a Southampton player.
This time, the referee didn't fall for it.
I'm all for a booking and having a Rugby style Sin Bin. It'd soon stamp out the cheating 'cause the managers wouldn't accept it from the players if it cost the team points.
Or maybe even better fine the managers every time one of their players cheats. That may reduce their willingness to accept it.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Some stuff I don't like about penalties are they're often given for fouls which are not fouls outside the box, overinterpreted decisions by clueless referees. Fouls on the edge of the box where the attacking player is nowhere near threatening the goal so a pen seems well out of proportion, pens when the attacking player is chasing a ball that's clearly going out for a corner or goal kick, or soft handballs. I've got some crazy ideas of another box, say an extension of the 6 yard box (let's face it the 6 yard box is redundant these days) to the pen spot where fouls in this box would result at a free shot at goal from the pen spot. And anything outside this box but within the 18yard box would be a free shot at goal from where the incident took place. That'd be fair imo.

👍🏻 Come here for mad ideas

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
Some stuff I don't like about penalties are they're often given for fouls which are not fouls outside the box, overinterpreted decisions by clueless referees. Fouls on the edge of the box where the attacking player is nowhere near threatening the goal so a pen seems well out of proportion, pens when the attacking player is chasing a ball that's clearly going out for a corner or goal kick, or soft handballs. I've got some crazy ideas of another box, say an extension of the 6 yard box (let's face it the 6 yard box is redundant these days) to the pen spot where fouls in this box would result at a free shot at goal from the pen spot. And anything outside this box but within the 18yard box would be a free shot at goal from where the incident took place. That'd be fair imo.

👍🏻 Come here for mad ideas
It's not a mad idea at all, it's a good one.
It's just mad to think that you've actually come up with it in the first place.🤣

Muzza

Advisor to the Owner
This thread reminds me of this - Robbie Fowler trying to tell the ref it wasn't a foul, then taking a soft penalty that was saved (but then McAteer smashes in the rebound).