PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Plastics v Nobbers

I can't be assed looking but are we that much different from the other mid-table sides in the league in that respect?

There's no denying we lack the creative quality to break down teams who protect a lead but I was slightly encouraged by Saturday's performance, even though we lost. Gordon looks like exactly what we've missed for years and I think Whiteman showed he can dictate things.
It’s a mixed bag really, Millwall have drawn 14 but Bristol City also only 3. We’ve lost the second most games in the division aswell so we’re not exactly hard to beat.

Yep really pleased with those two so far, direct and always looking to make things happen.

We’ve taken 6 points from 16 games we’ve conceded the first goal in. I don’t know the stats for other teams but that seems ridiculously low for a side in mid table.

Theres obviously exceptions but we’re mentally fragile when we go behind in the first half, especially at home.
Can't argue with that. As you say even more of a problem at home. The only time we've got anything when trailing at home is when Wycombe put through their own net.

On the subject of midfield, we lost the game at Deepdale in the midfield. Holtby took the pure p*ss for 90 minutes and we couldn't lay a glove on them.

The thought of Molumby and Whiteman in there makes me feel better now but I'm caught in two minds about Ledson at the moment. Seems out of form and I'd like to put DJ back in there for some creative edge but can't see us going for it away at Ewood under AN.

Holtby won’t be playing, he and Armstrong carry the rest of them to a large degree so that has to be a real positive for us.

Yes, make it a non painful injury that puts him out of the game - I do not advocate causing pain to another human being!
Some sort of clandestine, non-harmful, leg poison, secretly administered during an early tussle?

I mean it's not even particularly true, off the top of my head there's Huddersfield, Brentford and Derby in the cup where we haven't scored first and won.
More often than not, it is true, sadly.

Off the top of my head, the only other game is where we came back to get a draw v Wycombe.

Other than that, we've gone behind in 17 games and lost 14 of them.

So the bit where AN says 'the first goal kills us' is true 75 per cent of the time.

I don't think he's necessarily a bad manager, he'll probably go somewhere else with greater resources and do well. (In fact, I kinda think that's what he's banking on, if he can just keep his CV tidy enough here. 😏)

But he's also nowhere near as good as some paint him out to be (see the stat above) and I think he gets a lot of undeserved leeway on the basis of a) being young :rolleyes: and b) talking a very good game.

On the pitch, I think he's stuck in a rut of his own making at the moment and realistically, he's got the rest of this season to get out of it.

He's got the players he wanted, so there's no excuse for more of the same one dimensional, over-technical, negative dross that he's served up for the past 18 months at least. 🤔

I genuinely hope he goes back to being the same manager he arrived as, but I'm not holding my breath.

Off the top of my head, the only other game is where we came back to get a draw v Wycombe.

So the bit where AN says 'the first goal kills us' is true 75 per cent of the time.

I don't think he's necessarily a bad manager, he'll probably go somewhere else with greater resources and do well. (In fact, I kinda think that's what he's banking on, if he can just keep his CV tidy enough here. 😏)

But he's also nowhere near as good as some paint him out to be (see the stat above) and I think he gets a lot of undeserved leeway on the basis of a) being young :rolleyes: and b) talking a very good game.

On the pitch, I think he's stuck in a rut of his own making at the moment and realistically, he's got the rest of this season to get out of it.

He's got the players he wanted, so there's no excuse for more of the same one dimensional, over-technical, negative dross that he's served up for the past 18 months at least. 🤔

I genuinely hope he goes back to being the same manager he arrived as, but I'm not holding my breath.
AN should perhaps be concentrating on getting across the message that it is unacceptable and totally not inevitable that the first goal kills us. You would think that would be basic sports psychology.

I'm pretty sure Hemmings would sell the club for a half decent offer until then Risdale/AN/ mid table championship is acceptabke to him. He does have the abiluty/cash to sit tight and wait until the table turns in his favour. I like many others would love him to splash the cash and get us promotion but I think he is banking on other clubs running out of cash and profiting from that. So until then we will have AN and hope. I do not see him rocking the boat to get promotion and we will pick up enough points to avoid relegation.

Like you, not holding my breath. On the assumption we get enough points to survive, I wonder if the end of the season will be the point at which we contemplate a change of manager on the basis there will need to be a big rebuilding exercise using players we actually buy.

I agree that our style of football isn’t always pretty and that he certainly makes mistakes as a manager, not least baffling substitutes at times. I also would like to see more positivity from him especially on the touchlines.
However, I do feel that he is doing a decent job in the circumstances. We’ve just sold on some of our better players and he deserves a lot of credit for their development.

Riis is a quick hand full, Evans looked really useful and confident Saturday, Neil will pick Maguire !!!!*
Set up to stop them and our new defence and defensive midfield, all learning together will get a reaming