PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

PNE-Online and Mental Health

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
One of the big things that sets PNE-Online aside from our contemporaries is that despite our many differing views on a wide range of topics we always come together for each other when needed and we aren't aware of any other football forum with a section dedicated to the mental well-being of its members.

If you wish to post under your usual name that is fine or if you would prefer a level of anonymity you are able to log out and post in that section as a guest.

All we ask is that, no matter how big or small a poster's issue seems to you, that any replies are done so with respect and without fear of recrimination.

Keep safe everyone.

The PNE-Online Moderation Team

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a brilliant thread and as Paddy has said in his opening post, people may all have differing views on a wide range of topics, but when it comes to mental health then everyone will be there for each other - that is what makes this forum so special....

If you are struggling in any way at all , please don’t stay silent.....

This is a brilliant thread and as Paddy has said in his opening post, people may all have differing views on a wide range of topics, but when it comes to mental health then everyone will be there for each other - that is what makes this forum so special....

If you are struggling in any way at all , please don’t stay silent.....
true..... someones even offered to be on hand to listen during lockdown as well as all the other links posted by JK....

This is a brilliant thread - thanks Paddy.

it’s worth remembering that most people don’t know the first time they encounter mental health’s issues, it’s just that something doesn’t feel “right” or “normal“.
If anyone finds themselves struggling - needs a chat - or anything else then to use an Americanism please reach out!

it’s worth remembering that most people don’t know the first time they encounter mental health’s issues, it’s just that something doesn’t feel “right” or “normal“.
If anyone finds themselves struggling - needs a chat - or anything else then to use an Americanism please reach out!
Cheers. This is a collective effort though.

Credit for the big push across the board really needs to go to @prestonmadhouse though although everyone who takes the time to ask after other posters be it on a normal thread or a dedicated thread has my utmost respect.

Like any dysfunctional family we bicker like I don't know what but everyone steps up when another poster is in need.

Proud to be part of this community.

That’s a very good observation, my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD two months before her GCSE’s, and for years before had been telling us something didn’t feel right. We just couldn’t put our finger on what it was.

Only just spotted this thread. Paddy, every credit to you and the whole team.
Allowing people to post as Guests is an excellent idea.

People need to remember. If you break your leg, it’s obvious. If you’re internal circuits malfunction, nobody notices.
What’s the real difference between either condition. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Just an update people, had, well.. Still having a bit of a shed collapse and the other week was in a frightening and scary world, had lots of support on here and messages which helped enormously. Best thing was i told people at home and work etc and went to doctors. Felt so much better getting it off my chest. Have been on citalopram for about two weeks now, think they are kicking in as feel a tad better. Basically I'm saying that if you are feeling down, not just fed up, theres a distinct difference, please tell someone rather than hold it in. Thanks again to you all. 👍

Just an update people, had, well.. Still having a bit of a shed collapse and the other week was in a frightening and scary world, had lots of support on here and messages which helped enormously. Best thing was i told people at home and work etc and went to doctors. Felt so much better getting it off my chest. Have been on citalopram for about two weeks now, think they are kicking in as feel a tad better. Basically I'm saying that if you are feeling down, not just fed up, theres a distinct difference, please tell someone rather than hold it in. Thanks again to you all. 👍
Really good to hear and so glad you went to the doctors, takes a tremendous amount of courage that.

Tablets always take a few weeks to kick in and it may take a bit longer to get the dose right and maybe a medication change further down the line but you have done the hardest bit.

I felt like a proper charlie going to the chemists to pick them up, but now I'm ok about it, they are for all manner of emotional traumas like bereavement and loss etc not just people in my position.
I know i will be on them a while but thats how they work and if they help thats fine.
Can see how people take to alcohol etc or just panic and self harm, bloody scary out of nowhere situation i was in. Imagine being scared of roller-coasters and you fall asleep and someone kidnaps you, you wake up tied into the front carriage of the big one as it leaves the station to go up the big hill.... That panic was how i was... Horrible.. Not the best analogy but you get the idea.

I felt like a proper charlie going to the chemists to pick them up, but now I'm ok about it, they are for all manner of emotional traumas like bereavement and loss etc not just people in my position.
I know i will be on them a while but thats how they work and if they help thats fine.
Can see how people take to alcohol etc or just panic and self harm, bloody scary out of nowhere situation i was in. Imagine being scared of roller-coasters and you fall asleep and someone kidnaps you, you wake up tied into the front carriage of the big one as it leaves the station to go up the big hill.... That panic was how i was... Horrible.. Not the best analogy but you get the idea.
I do indeed but you have nothing to feel embarrassed about. The more we talk about these things the less taboo they become and the easier it is for people who would previously have been able to talk about MH issues to do so.

I spent years self medicating with all sorts of different things because it allowed me to escape from what was going on in my head.

thanks for sharing and helping others REACH OUT by your honesty and inspiration...

talking is the biggest thing to compliment medication and the forum has people willing to listen anonymously on the linked thread.

Embarrassment is a form of negative mental control and that control needs breaking using the strength of character plus support of others....

Remember nobody else knows (or cares) what medicine you are collecting or why, so praise yourself everytime you collect some.

Good to read this sort of thing fella.. I hope that sharing it helps a bit. It certainly helps me reading someone writing something that must take a huge amount of effort to explain.. (y)

This is such an important thread Paddy, many will remember shaky, have "enjoyed" match day outing with him trailing round pubs in Preston too, the many "battles" in here and his so supportive kindness shown to those who had work related issues, but few if any knew the turmoil he went through for over 20 years, "if only " is a much used couple of words when we all think, if only I had asked, chatted etc etc could I have made a small change????

Chat to you're mates, family, neighbours and share things, don't be judgemental, just be kind and if you are feeling a bit confused or down please please drop someone a message, it's not a sign of weakness and nobody will think any different about you.

Take care guys and girls, the porridgewog xx

This is such an important thread Paddy, many will remember shaky, have "enjoyed" match day outing with him trailing round pubs in Preston too, the many "battles" in here and his so supportive kindness shown to those who had work related issues, but few if any knew the turmoil he went through for over 20 years, "if only " is a much used couple of words when we all think, if only I had asked, chatted etc etc could I have made a small change????

Chat to you're mates, family, neighbours and share things, don't be judgemental, just be kind and if you are feeling a bit confused or down please please drop someone a message, it's not a sign of weakness and nobody will think any different about you.

No it's not. It's the exact opposite. Good shout Bill.

Good post Billy... it’s more important during these difficult times than ever before...

Some good posts on here on a very important matter at a time when folk are being asked to disconnect from the people the used to have regular contact with.

I've realised that I don't miss the pub much but I do miss the interaction with mates.

My work can sometimes lead to long drives and I quite often I fill the time on the carphone ringing people for a catch up and you would be surprised at the amount of times the calls last 30min/hour with folk that I know live alone or have been stuck at home/working from home for large parts of the last 8 months.