PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

PNE Penalties

Alex Bruce knocked a few in but passage of time fades my memory as to just how many.
Think Alex Dawson knocked a few in as well.

Gary Parkinson?
Garner probably got a few as well.

I'm not sure about Sir Tom, did they have many penalties back then?

Jimmy Baxter scored a lot of penalties for North End but given that he left in 1959 I'm not sure how many people here will have seen him score one. In more recent times Callum Davidson is easily overlooked an an excellent penalty taker with 13 scored in the League. He might possibly have missed one (against Sheffield United?) but I think the rebound was scored although he may have had a 100% success rate. I would agree that in the past 20 years or so North End have had some excellent penalty takers and our overall conversion rate in that time must be one of the best on the League, probably around 90%.

I would guess Sir Tom would be there. Since him I might guess at Alex Dawson and Graham Alexander. But perhaps we had a penalty king way back in the 1920s or 30s. Brian Godfrey could take a penalty under pressure.

Jimmy Baxter scored a lot of penalties for North End but given that he left in 1959 I'm not sure how many people here will have seen him score one. In more recent times Callum Davidson is easily overlooked an an excellent penalty taker with 13 scored in the League. He might possibly have missed one (against Sheffield United?) but I think the rebound was scored although he may have had a 100% success rate. I would agree that in the past 20 years or so North End have had some excellent penalty takers and our overall conversion rate in that time must be one of the best on the League, probably around 90%.
Last season for instance we didn't miss any of the unusual number we got (mainly before Christmas) although Gallys at home to Luton was on the rebound so technically a miss but still resulted in a goal.

I would guess Sir Tom would be there. Since him I might guess at Alex Dawson and Graham Alexander. But perhaps we had a penalty king way back in the 1920s or 30s. Brian Godfrey could take a penalty under pressure.
Perhaps George Mutch from the 30's and 40's.
Well we know he got at least one which was the most famous one in our history. ☺

I remember Neil Young blasting home a penalty winner, against Sunderland, just after they won the FA Cup in 1973. 20 odd thousand there that afternoon, loads from Sunderland.