PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread PNE v Aberdeen - 22/07/23 - KO:3PM - Friendly

As i mentioned two pages back and Bazooka Joe also posted, we played Sydney Olympic many years ago when Tommy Doc had left them to become PNE Manager. We beat them 8-0. They had travelled from Austrailia for the privellige. Slightly further than, Aberdeen and even Greece !!
I was on that night, in the old West Stand….

Hi lads, a Dons fan here in peace.

Congratulations on a well deserved win today, from our point of view it was extremely disappointing. PNE played very well though, especially the 1st half.

Just a comment on quite a few posts that have gone before.....nobody should forget that this was just a friendly.
Aberdeen put together a side that will never, ever play together in a competitive match. The defence particularly was makeshift and we simply wouldn't play like that in any game that meant anything.

I'm sorry that you feel you should judge Scottish football based on that half arsed performance, because I can assure you that we're (at our very worst) a hundred times better than that when it matters.

The game was no more representative of our standing that yours was against Barrow.

Anyway, thanks for the hospitality today, and all of us wish PNE all the best for the season ahead. 👍

Wouldn't get too uptight about English/Scottish football banter.
As for PNE we have had a plethora of excellent Scots play for our club and you indeed sat in a stand named after one of them.

Hope you have a season to remember.

Whilst we played well for the majority of the game yesterday, I can't help thinking there's an over-reaction somewhat to the performance and subsequent sell-out on board HMS Piss the League.

McCann was good, playing in his natural position in the 6 and MFJ influential when on the ball. Although, I'll caveat that with if he's given the freedom of PR1 in the Championship like he had yesterday I'll be shocked.

Keane is a 10, he's not an out and out 9 and I think he'll be decent for us, but might only be able to show his attributes when playing with a Riis/Evans/Cannon in the 9.

Aberdeen not at full strength, were largely poor. I genuinely think the next 2 games against mid-table L1 and L2 opposition will provide sterner tests and that's no offence to Aberdeen, they just weren't on it and I think Fleetwood and Stockport will be organised, more structured and provide us better tests ahead of the season.

Still, we've got lads to come back in and hopefully 2-3 more incomings so all is not lost and cautiously I'm more optimistic than I was in June, although this league has improved its quality somewhat this season and is going to be very competitive for all spots.

Whilst we played well for the majority of the game yesterday, I can't help thinking there's an over-reaction somewhat to the performance and subsequent sell-out on board HMS Piss the League.

McCann was good, playing in his natural position in the 6 and MFJ influential when on the ball. Although, I'll caveat that with if he's given the freedom of PR1 in the Championship like he had yesterday I'll be shocked.

Keane is a 10, he's not an out and out 9 and I think he'll be decent for us, but might only be able to show his attributes when playing with a Riis/Evans/Cannon in the 9.

Aberdeen not at full strength, were largely poor. I genuinely think the next 2 games against mid-table L1 and L2 opposition will provide sterner tests and that's no offence to Aberdeen, they just weren't on it and I think Fleetwood and Stockport will be organised, more structured and provide us better tests ahead of the season.

Still, we've got lads to come back in and hopefully 2-3 more incomings so all is not lost and cautiously I'm more optimistic than I was in June, although this league has improved its quality somewhat this season and is going to be very competitive for all spots.
I agree with what you're saying. I just think that people are just more hopeful with the players that we've brought in, and we actually watched us play some football yesterday.
The forward movement and passing was far better than we've seen in a while. If we can bring in three more players, we'll be looking at the best squad we've seen in a few seasons.

Just watched the highlights and it looks like we played some really good stuff. As a few people have said, McCann looks much more comfortable in the 6 role. If he plays there regularly then he could be a key player for us.

Mads and Keane seemed to link up well, if we can add Cannon into the equation it will be an exciting prospect.

Just the same over-reaction that we get to the defeats if you ask me. Yesterday certainly lifted some of the clouds though and gives more confidence. Not least because some of the new signings suddenly hopped off the “long term” injured list and onto the pitch.

With regards to McCann I thought he was decent and puts a hell of a shift in. Noticed a bit of a habit he has of if he only just wins a ball and has no time he’ll just blindly whack it anywhere and two or three times that was straight into the centre of the field in our own half. He needs to pack that in.

Just the same over-reaction that we get to the defeats if you ask me. Yesterday certainly lifted some of the clouds though and gives more confidence. Not least because some of the new signings suddenly hopped off the “long term” injured list and onto the pitch.

With regards to McCann I thought he was decent and puts a hell of a shift in. Noticed a bit of a habit he has of if he only just wins a ball and has no time he’ll just blindly whack it anywhere and two or three times that was straight into the centre of the field in our own half. He needs to pack that in.

What would you like him to do if he's " no time " ? :D I'd rather he wack it than dawdle.

Finally been able to watch the highlights - some very good stuff on show and hopefully something we get to see regularly. We will get to see if that’s the case over the upcoming games, but playing like that with intent and purpose should see us giving teams a good game.

Is this the ‘mythical’ brand that we have been told about? Appears that the style we want to play is neat passes and little balls through the back line as opposed to long balls/speed etc. Very impressed with the control, composure and passing in tight spaces etc. something we just didn’t see last season. Only one game though, so let’s hope it continues.

Can’t believe it’s taken so long for our gobshite manager to play McCann in his natural 6 role. Yeah, he’s probably better there with someone next to him (I.e with Whiteman under Frankie), but he’s infinitely better at 6 than 8.

If Whiteman is unavailable, it should be McCann there instead of Ledson.

No disrespect to Aberdeen, it was a friendly and they had some talented players. Their support was fantastic, not just the numbers but the volume. My brother in law played for the Dons and always quotes the Aberdonians who’ve graced Deepdale like Alex Dawson whose pictures adorn the stairs up to the Invincible Lounge.

Hi boys, Aberdeen fan here. I didn’t manage to make the game yesterday but by all accounts the travelling fans did. Wish your team all the best for 23/24! WATP!
Strange ending to the post, I thought that was a Rangers acronym 🤔