PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread PNE v Coventry City - 04/11/23 - KO:3PM - Championship

I suppose the argument is how often is that outlet going to be found when you're just clearing your lines?

They've probably more chance of recovering the ball by standing on each corner of the box.
I know what you're saying, but by keeping some of their defenders/midfielders back on the halfway line, it means less bodies in the box. The Southampton equaliser came from three of our players getting in each others way, causing an own goal. It's just something I've always thought, leave at least one player as a possible outlet.

So in the 96th minute you would leave two up despite Southampton bringing their goalkeeper up so they wouldn’t need to leave anyone back as they have no keeper.

The area would have been congested anyway
The Southampton equaliser was an own goal by three of our players getting in each others way. The goalie was up for is height. If we had left a pacey player on the halfway line, Southampton would have had to leave a couple of players back.

The Southampton equaliser was an own goal by three of our players getting in each others way. The goalie was up for is height. If we had left a pacey player on the halfway line, Southampton would have had to leave a couple of players back.

It was the last minute of play so it was shit or bust for them. They might as well lose 3-1 as 2-1; they would just allow North End to put one or two players unmarked on the half way line, it wouldn't make a great deal of difference to them.

+ the delivery of the corner was bang on the money and tough to defend well anyway.

I know what you're saying, but by keeping some of their defenders/midfielders back on the halfway line, it means less bodies in the box. The Southampton equaliser came from three of our players getting in each others way, causing an own goal. It's just something I've always thought, leave at least one player as a possible outlet.
Yeah, I'm not against leaving a quick guy on the halfway line, but I can understand why managers don't.