PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread PNE v Sunderland - 08/05/23 - KO:15:00 - Championship

What a crap way to finish the season, we where so so poor today. Too many players at the club who are simple not good enough. Ledson shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 never mind captain (I hope this isnt a taste of what to expect next season).

Can't argue with the result today. Sunderland blew us away in that second half, novel idea having mobile creative players in your team and getting your recruitment bang on.

Really concerned for next season huge job on rebuilding this squad with a reduced budget especially if the fat controller is still pulling the strings. It will be a complete shambles.

Very sad to see DJ leave (if true).

Would be happy to see the back of:
Woodburn
Ledson
Potts
Storey
Lindsey
Cunningham
Bauer
Olosunde
Parrott.

Undecided over Onomah after last couple of showings, But has impressed in other games.

Obviously I love to have Cannon and Fernandez back.

Delap I think has potential and both parties perhaps would benefit from another loan spell here.

Lowe has come in for his fair share of stick, some of it totally justified but I find it hard to judge him when he's got this piss poor excuse of a squad to work with. Personally I think he's over achieved given the lack of options available to him.

Glad this season is done and dusted, largely depressing. Enjoy the summer everyone.

Currently on holiday at the moment. I take it the player of the year awards didn’t happen due to all the home fans leaving before the final whistle?
Goal of season Brad V Luton
Young Player Alvro
Players Player of the year Ched
Player of the year Woodman

What a crap way to finish the season, we where so so poor today. Too many players at the club who are simple not good enough. Ledson shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 never mind captain (I hope this isnt a taste of what to expect next season).

Can't argue with the result today. Sunderland blew us away in that second half, novel idea having mobile creative players in your team and getting your recruitment bang on.

Really concerned for next season huge job on rebuilding this squad with a reduced budget especially if the fat controller is still pulling the strings. It will be a complete shambles.

Very sad to see DJ leave (if true).

Would be happy to see the back of:
Woodburn
Ledson
Potts
Storey
Lindsey
Cunningham
Bauer
Olosunde
Parrott.

Undecided over Onomah after last couple of showings, But has impressed in other games.

Obviously I love to have Cannon and Fernandez back.

Delap I think has potential and both parties perhaps would benefit from another loan spell here.

Lowe has come in for his fair share of stick, some of it totally justified but I find it hard to judge him when he's got this piss poor excuse of a squad to work with. Personally I think he's over achieved given the lack of options available to him.

Glad this season is done and dusted, largely depressing. Enjoy the summer everyone.

Some names on that list that's harsh IMO.

Potts has been debated to death on here but he's fine, we have bigger problems than him.

Storey has been OK for the most part.

Bauer has hardly played but is better than Lindsay.

I'd give Cunningham another year. Never gives less than 100% & is an experienced head in the dressing room & on the pitch.

Potts has been debated to death on here but he's fine, we have bigger problems than him.

I'd give Cunningham another year. Never gives less than 100% & is an experienced head in the dressing room & on the pitch.
Yes let’s settle for mediocre players , just because they are less shit than others . Potts not a RWB but honestly what position is he good at , Storey not even average most games League 1 at best, Bauer very limited footballer no pace and can’t bring the ball out of defence, Cunningham gives 100% when on the pitch but fuck all when he’s injured which is to often . The only problem I see is if we let them go will we replace them with better players , I very much doubt it .

Yes let’s settle for mediocre players , just because they are less shit than others . Potts not a RWB but honestly what position is he good at , Storey not even average most games League 1 at best, Bauer very limited footballer no pace and can’t bring the ball out of defence, Cunningham gives 100% when on the pitch but fuck all when he’s injured which is to often . The only problem I see is if we let them go will we replace them with better players , I very much doubt it .
I still think Potts's best position is full back.

But for our first-choice RWB all season to have 2 assists - we can't have another season of that. The "Sir Bradley Potts Esquire" brigade have had their fun, but now need to get realistic.

Would we like better? Of course.

Will we get them? I think we all know the answer to that.

The Sunderland fans were very very loud and never stopped singing for the whole game…..

Surely they must be the SECOND best fans in Europe……
Boro fans still better for me, that loud despite being 4-1 down last year

Sunderland were a little subdued before the goal but then took the roof off the place for the rest of the half

Boro fans still better for me, that loud despite being 4-1 down last year

Sunderland were a little subdued before the goal but then took the roof off the place for the rest of the half
Fair point, that is the measure of true fans…. Okay then Boro second , Sunderland third BUT there can only be one winner of the “ Best Fans in Europe “ trophy……

I actually enjoyed the first half on Saturday. An open game , we competed well & should have gone in at half time with a lead. Second half the change of shape & introduction of Pritchard for Sunderland completely changed the game. For a 10 to 15 minute spell they were devastating. Sadly, the only options we had on the bench were mainly future Bamber Bridge players (Sorry lads). The rest of the second half was painful & embarrassing to be perfectly frank. The game highlighted how much we struggle without any of the trio of Browne, Whiteman & Johnson. Two of which wont be here next season I fear. If our midfield comprises of "Hollywood Hoof Ball to No one In Particular "Ledson next season then I fear for us. Yet again we reach the end of a season & pronounce that a significant rebuilding job is required

@pne1881 I stand by that list of players. In an ideal world if I let my head rule rather than sentiment then all those players I mentioned are taking this team absolutely nowhere so I'd be happy to see the back of them. In same cases people will debate that it is harsh, it would be a boring forum if we all saw things the same way.👍 It's just I've got to a point where I am genuinely sick of watching this team now.

Potts is a marmite player. Some love him and some don't. From my point of view I can't watch another season of Potts, it's painful. He's not a RWB (although given it an admirable go) however I am not sure what position he'd be an asset to us because some weeks I am not even convinced he's a footballer. Nothing personal against the lad but when I see him name on team sheet I immediately CBA watching the game. Credit where its due he's his goals Vs Luton and Blackpool where outstanding but that's not enough.

Fair Statement, Storey has be ok for the most part. Is just ok enough👀 he's been here long enough now tand played enough games but hasn't really show much improvement, I always feel there's a mistake in him and honestly how many Champ sides does he walk into and get regular game time.

Bauer I believe has had issues away from football this season and had fallen out of love with the game (dunno how true this is) hence his lack of game time. I'd have Bauer over Lindsey all day every day but his lack of pace has been highlighted in last 2 games. He needs protection and mobile lads around him. I wouldn't be against him staying provide we strength around him but long term he's not the answer to us moving forward.

Giving 100% should be the bare minimum. Cunningham I like but we cant keep players based on effort and likeability.

And that Belinda Carlisle hit as well. WTF?
George Leave Her Alone GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Calmed down a bit now (still despise that cunt Ledson though).

That game was almost a carbon copy of the Rovers game, the only difference being that Sunderland had the quality to finish us off whereas Rovers had Hedges. A change at half time after a fairly even first half that we probably edged on chances, they had Roberts just stand on the right touchline like Hedges did for Rovers, Fernandez had to stay out wide with him which limits him and stretches our defence all the way across the pitch and then their better technical players have acres of space in the middle of the pitch to just cut us open. Mowbray clearly watched that game and copied what JDT did. Yet again a tactical switch that Lowe just can't contend with.

It's all well and good saying "oh well they have better players than us" etc and they obviously do (that's another issue) but for the exact same tactical switch to completely befuddle us twice in two weeks is just amateurish from the coaching staff. You have to be able to find a way to combat it or we will see it week in week out next season.

I really am delighted that this horrific season is over and I don't have to watch us try and play football again for another 3 months.

I also left with 15 mins remaining.. absolutely hacked off with the score, performance, seeing other fans celebrating at our ground, Lowe's depressed face on the big screen summed it up..the club's fucked and if they think I'm buying a season ticket then they are crazy. Supported since 70s but I truly feel that I've lost interest now, I can't be alone in this. Not a shit fan..but a fan who's been shit on.

I’ve just seen a photo tweeted by Tom Sandells of the team doing a ‘lap of appreciation’ to an empty Deepdale in the pissing down rain.
If ever there was something that sums up where our club is at the moment it’s that.
It seems like a festering wound at the moment…..or is that a bit strong?

I stuck around and can't recall a more half-arsed walkabout (very fitting, given our second half) and presentation.

The ever-alert PA played 'Can't Help Falling In Love...' as the players came back out - to the delight of the Sunderland fans who drowned out the few Nobbers left in the rain.

The trophies were presented from a shitty cardboard box (I kid you not), the announcer looked scruffy as hell, Ben Rhodes stood around with his hands in his pockets and the whole thing had a Sunday League air about it.

As tinpot as tinpot gets, but nobody pitchside seemed to either notice or give a shit.

Embarrassing. :mad: