PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread PNE v Sunderland - 23/08/23 - KO:3PM - Championship

Sun'lun fans view of Deepdale. (y)

When I briefly saw the penalty incident previously, I saw their lad pull Best’s shirt momentarily, just before he went down - and I thought little of it. But having watched those highlights, their lad sneakily had hold of Best’s shirt for ages. He had a firm grip around the belly area, pulling Best towards him.

Easy to get suckered into retaliating in kind, which Best did. A good referee, with the benefit of a good view, would have given the freekick the other way.

He did indeed but few seem to have noticed that even after watching the re runs... Well spotted Reg. No pen.

How many goals in football are scored from open play which include a deflection in the build up or a rebound, a deflected shot etc? A lot I would estimate.

Bristol City got one last week.

Got to be there abouts, with players in good positions to get the ball over the line.

It's a part of the game. We were guilty in the early part of last season for trying to pass the ball into the net.

There were a couple of other instances on Saturday where the same might have happened or with better decisions in the final 3rd.
Whilst Lowes “run forward” comments have been ridiculed on here (probably correctly) there’s a grain of truth there. Get men forward and stuff might just happen.

Both goals yesterday came from positive play albeit not especially well executed.

Buy a ticket etc….

Watching the game yesterday I don’t see much improvement on last season…yes I thought all the team put in a good performance including Ledson but tactically we looked to play as we did last season only this time we have the likes of Mads who is a threat going forward with his vision and ability to pick out a pass…I remember last season from throw ins there are never any options and it was the same again…we always seem reluctant to press the other team in their half..I get the impression RL’s system is to play counter attack at home and away..he also needs to change his system of 5 at the back with wing backs as yesterday showed our goals came through the middle we just don’t have an alvaro who can beat a man and get to the opposition box on both wings. We should have played 451 yesterday…with 2 wide midfield players pushing their wingers back which would have eased the pressure on Best and allowed us to have more possession and force them back to their half as their goal threat was from their wingers.

Just seen someone on twitter mention it but didn’t actually say what happened. Saw a group of police come out of the town end and stand in the corner by the finney in the second half which I thought was weird
Maybe they saw me trying to get a bit mobile, not something I do very often so it could cause a stare. lol

The calorificly challenged North End fan in the invincibles by the Kop was having some great banter with the Mackems

Anorak’s corner: Jemmo didn’t make his debut until 1986. (Aldershot (a) ) 🤓

Yes, I know I’m a geek. 😅
The game that has almost as many North Enders claiming to have been at as the Scunthorpe game! Came on as sub I think and then his first start was the season after at Swansea, a game that was supposed to be played on the Friday night and was postponed until the day after. He scored and then scored in something like 3 out of the next 4 before disappearing for a bit.

Just been looking through the fans gallery and Deepdale looked class yesterday with the flags. Atmosphere over iPlayer was spot on as well. Congrats to everyone involved with the arrangements, absolutely brilliant. Let's keep it going now, makes a huge difference.

Having seen the highlights, theirs was 100% a penalty although on the TE yesterday stood right in front of the incident, we are thought it was a dive.

Seeing it back though, we couldn't, without X Ray Specs, see Best shirt tug him from behind.

Ref got this bang on (for once).

Best will have learnt loads from being up against Roberts. He played like a prime McGeady in full flow yesterday. Superb and immense.

Referee was howling for 90mins yesterday but the penalty decision was one of the easiest he will make all season long. Apart from the TE i think most other angles could see Best had a prolonged pull of their lads shirt

The game that has almost as many North Enders claiming to have been at as the Scunthorpe game! Came on as sub I think and then his first start was the season after at Swansea, a game that was supposed to be played on the Friday night and was postponed until the day after. He scored and then scored in something like 3 out of the next 4 before disappearing for a bit.
I was at both, honest. I'll never for John Thomas' briefs.😬

• Love
Reactions: wld
Referee was howling for 90mins yesterday but the penalty decision was one of the easiest he will make all season long. Apart from the TE i think most other angles could see Best had a prolonged pull of their lads shirt
I was on the TE, and I clearly saw the pull of the shirt.

I wasn’t allowed to go to the Scunthorpe game, last year at school or something equally trivial - although my teacher didn’t turn up for a lesson that afternoon. Guess were he was! 😄
My first year at college bunked off for the match. No surprise that I didnt see the course out.
The Aldershit game was depressing, we'd got battered just about everywhere we went that season.
Cant believe that a team with Thomas, Brazil and Atkins in it came next to bottom.

I was genuinely at all three. 🤓

• Love
Reactions: wld

Clear why he made that decision... but it was incorrect!

Best did make an obvious pull of the shirt that was worthy of a penalty, but close inspection of the extended highlights shows that their lad 'cleverly' had his hand behind his own back gripping the front of Best's shirt for a very prolonged period. That was long before Kian committed any infringement and clearly enticed Best to return the shirt-pulling favour.