PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread PNE v Sunderland - 23/08/23 - KO:3PM - Championship

What we’d have give for a goal at deepdale like yesterdays first , this time last season.

Third lowest xg in the league yesterday and we were fortunate to get away with it, no doubting that.

Lads really put a shift in, great opportunity to push on at sheff W but we desperately need a couple of reinforcements.

Watched the physio yesterday doing the check on McCann and immediately signaled for a sub. Holmes will come in but the bench then looks painfully thin…we are really down to the bare bones.
I agree, and Ryan Lowe said that as well in his post match press conferences, so now it’s up to the board so to speak to back him & get some more players in the building.

Think a draw would of been a fair result thinking back to the game, thought we played some decent stuff at times, one thing that sticks in my mind about the game ( mainly 1st half) is how many times the ball got lumped up skywards from left back position to Potts out on the right, got to the point where I started counting them, must of been 10 / 12 times, if we are going to be successful in this division surely the ball needs to be passed through the thirds tho , 🙏🙏🙏

Think a draw would of been a fair result thinking back to the game, thought we played some decent stuff at times, one thing that sticks in my mind about the game ( mainly 1st half) is how many times the ball got lumped up skywards from left back position to Potts out on the right, got to the point where I started counting them, must of been 10 / 12 times, if we are going to be successful in this division surely the ball needs to be passed through the thirds tho , 🙏🙏🙏

Think that was more of a deliberate tactic for Sunderland. Neither O'Nein or Cirkin are particularly tall, so tried to exploit Potts' height advantage as much as possible.

Do agree though, was a bit League One and didnt really work at all

I don't think he was terrible but he didn't stand out for any particular praise.

He was constantly diving into challenges though and letting them skip straight past him which was driving me mad.
Nowt wrong with Ledson, he just isn't good enough for this league.

Nowt wrong with Ledson, he just isn't good enough for this league.
That’s blatantly obvious to most supporters, granted he put in a few good blocks, ie , the ones in the highlights, but at the end of the day, I could throw myself in the way of the ⚽️, and I’m 67, there isn’t much more to his game, no creativity whatsoever sadly.

This was the same last season and it rarely works out for us as it’s too long, floated in so easy to intercept or comes off but end up being played back to defence again…Surely the coaches must see this and should have put a stop to it last season never mind this season which suggests to me the game plan will be more of the same this season with the only difference us having some attack minded players like Mads who will help pull us out of some tricky games.

Just watched the highlights -a few points:

*their player is definitely pulling Best's shirt before Best pulls his for the penalty.
*the Frokjaer shot that was deflected for our first goal was deliberately aimed low to the keeper's left which is why the deflection the other way so totally wrong-footed him - Frokjaer is quite cold-bloodedly lethal in his shooting from around he edge of the penalty area but credit where credit is due Ledson's pass to Frokjaer though short range was precise and controlled so that Frokjaer could shoot almost immediately.
*the breakaway in the second half that saw Browne pass to Frokjaer before receiving the ball back was uncannily prescient of the one from which we scored - arguably the key factor in the one that led to the goal was that Browne's pass was partially intercepted by Keane which meant that the ball held up so that Frokjaer had a clear scoring opportunity.
*the way that Hughes got back to intercept their player in the second half when he initially had a clear run at goal was superb but note also that Best did not stand and watch but backtracked as well and was on the scene only a second later.
*Woodman was absolutely assured right throughout and pulled off two brilliant saves - not just that point blank one in the second half but the one from the high swerving shot in the first half.
*the whole team played with spirit and commitment though my man-of-the-match was probably Hughes.
*playing in a more forward position makes Browne much more dangerous to the opposition.
*we do need to get the ball on the ground more quickly.
*there is no reason to think we cannot beat any other team in this division.

Just watched the highlights -a few points:

*their player is definitely pulling Best's shirt before Best pulls his for the penalty.
*the Frokjaer shot that was deflected for our first goal was deliberately aimed low to the keeper's left which is why the deflection the other way so totally wrong-footed him - Frokjaer is quite cold-bloodedly lethal in his shooting from around he edge of the penalty area but credit where credit is due Ledson's pass to Frokjaer though short range was precise and controlled so that Frokjaer could shoot almost immediately.
*the breakaway in the second half that saw Browne pass to Frokjaer before receiving the ball back was uncannily prescient of the one from which we scored - arguably the key factor in the one that led to the goal was that Browne's pass was partially intercepted by Keane which meant that the ball held up so that Frokjaer had a clear scoring opportunity.
*the way that Hughes got back to intercept their player in the second half when he initially had a clear run at goal was superb but note also that Best did not stand and watch but backtracked as well and was on the scene only a second later.
*Woodman was absolutely assured right throughout and pulled off two brilliant saves - not just that point blank one in the second half but the one from the high swerving shot in the first half.
*the whole team played with spirit and commitment though my man-of-the-match was probably Hughes.
*playing in a more forward position makes Browne much more dangerous to the opposition.
*we do need to get the ball on the ground more quickly.
*there is no reason to think we cannot beat any other team in this division.
At last you see that Hughes has pace.

At last you see that Hughes has pace.

In bursts yes - but not the sustained pace with the ball at his feet that a wing-back needs. I have said for the last couple of seasons - indeed I think I was the first one here to say it - that the mix of attributes Hughes now has makes him ideal for that left of a back three position. Play him there and nowhere else.

In bursts yes - but not the sustained pace with the ball at his feet that a wing-back needs. I have said for the last couple of seasons - indeed I think I was the first one here to say it - that the mix of attributes Hughes now has makes him ideal for that left of a back three position. Play him there and nowhere else.
I was wrong once and even then I was right.