PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread PNE v Swansea City - 26/08/23 - KO:3pm - Championship

Brett seems a nice enough guy, but his punditry is akin to asking a bloke in the pub, three pints down. 🙄

Don’t get me started on the presenter and her inane giggly questions, let alone why in a post-match show she rarely asks about the matches. 🤯

Instead, she asks such nonsense as: ‘Colin, how long does it take for players to settle at clubs?’ 🤦🏻‍♂️

Still, it’s the BBC, well known as a place where representation counts for more than ability.

And to be fair, Hendry and Steve Eyre are pretty good in their analysis - on the rare occasions they get to talk about the games they’ve just watched.

In a 60-minute show yesterday, they also failed to read out a single comment/msg/Tweet from a North End fan.

All in all, a frustrating listen. 😕
And the Lowe interview lasted perhaps 30 seconds. Pathetic, hardly ever switch it on anymore.

Hi all...went on yesterday as a non st holder, still got my seat in IP. So my tuppence of the match.
Start with my negative observations...Storey and Ledson are poor in my opinion...just not sure why but they command no confidence in me...still way too much sideways and back... Swansea would have one touch and go forwards in triangles...why can't we ?
Positives...young Best is looking a prospect, Keane ran his socks off, Mads is looking good, Brown played a blinder, Holmes looks good, Potts ran all day, woodman played his usual quality, Hughes looked his best for a while, good win and lifted the crowd, definitely need another striker and defender but get whiteman and riis and ched back and things will be fine.
Lots of positives and a wins a win.big test next week.
Oh and my pie was shite...thought we had new caterer's?

Hi all...went on yesterday as a non st holder, still got my seat in IP. So my tuppence of the match.
Start with my negative observations...Storey and Ledson are poor in my opinion...just not sure why but they command no confidence in me...still way too much sideways and back... Swansea would have one touch and go forwards in triangles...why can't we ?
Positives...young Best is looking a prospect, Keane ran his socks off, Mads is looking good, Brown played a blinder, Holmes looks good, Potts ran all day, woodman played his usual quality, Hughes looked his best for a while, good win and lifted the crowd, definitely need another striker and defender but get whiteman and riis and ched back and things will be fine.
The pies have shrunk

Walking back to the car and a lad who must have been about 10 turned to his dad and said

" I am looking forward to watching us in the Premier League"

That is what it is all about, dream big kid.
Just got a birthday card for my Dad who is 86 and a PNE fanatic------the card has a miserable looking bloke on the front with a caption that reads. On his birthday, he reflected on the years of desperation, the almost unimaginable loneliness and the heart-felt yearning for something better..... Still, maybe that was the price you paid for supporting a shite football club. Well I thought it was funny.

Would agree with this , I would though just qualify Storey and Ledson not with being poor but just that they are probably just playing a league too high.

A little disappointed in Storey as when he first arrived I thought he was going to be a quality addition in time but he appears to have reached his peak just a bit short.

Quite a game when it’s hard to choose MOTM? A good sign when maligned players such as Potts and Browne ( guilty on both counts) and Hughes are all pushing for best on ground all at once. Add Mads and Mac and now Holmes and it’s great situation to be in where players are actually vying with each other to be their best. Their was a bad Preston player on the park yesterday in what was a real gutsy team effort ..p.s. how could I forget Keane ..super super signing
Hughes for me though Browne was excellent all game. Covered some serious ground & looking like he's at his roving best. Long may it continue. Potts is a critical part of this side. He's really come on & I for one are a fan.

Feel for Best, he's been given a poisoned chalice there I think but he's clearly got some ability & can see him maturing into a very good LWB in time.

Keane is a great acquisition. Incredibly quick feet & very good footballer. Gave everything yesterday, but he needs support up top & quick. Can't afford to run him into the ground.

All in all an entertaining game & great win. Night & day from some of the turgid stuff last season.

RL should be applauded for the tactical switch.

Could see us being able to play a 433 more often with Mads & Holmes either side of Keane. Whiteman-Mccann-Browne behind would be some line up.

Great start, well done lads, still need a few more through the door as bench is very light.

Hughes for me though Browne was excellent all game. Covered some serious ground & looking like he's at his roving best. Long may it continue. Potts is a critical part of this side. He's really come on & I for one are a fan.

Feel for Best, he's been given a poisoned chalice there I think but he's clearly got some ability & can see him maturing into a very good LWB in time.

Keane is a great acquisition. Incredibly quick feet & very good footballer. Gave everything yesterday, but he needs support up top & quick. Can't afford to run him into the ground.

All in all an entertaining game & great win. Night & day from some of the turgid stuff last season.

Could see us being able to play a 433 more often with Mads & Holmes either side of Keane. Whiteman-Mccann-Browne behind would be some line up.

Great start, well done lads, still need a few more through the door as bench is very light.
I was going to post my thoughts on the game but this sums up my view of the game very well. For me too, Hughes edged out Browne as MOM for me, he’s become very dependable and rarely has a bad game. Our doggedness and battling qualities make us a handful to play against. The game management was excellent in the second half, for all of Swansea’s possession and passing moves, they didn’t really threaten us.

Brilliant come back and win, very enjoyable game. I didn't think we deserved to be behind really and we played some decent stuff in that first half, possibly just needed to move ball quicker in and around the box.

Think Best has had a fairytale start to the season and his professional career but yesterday highlighted how we cant afford to rely on him all season. Signing an LWB is a must to take pressure off his young shoulders.

Well impressed with Potts again yesterday. People say he's been underrated, I don't quite see it like that, his performances this season have been outstanding and he's proving his doubters wrong (including me). I love it. Playing like this Ramsey will struggle to get a look in once fit and rightly so.

Keane worked his socks off, so impressive leading that line, very tough ask but it feels like he covered every blade of grass yesterday for the team. I'd just like to see him given better service for his efforts.

Holmes I thought was very good too. Shrewd signing, can see him become a real fans favourite. Between him and Frokjaer they offer us a lot more quality and composure in that final third which we didn't have last season, they'll both only get better as the season ages. Frokjaer's work for Holmes goal was outstanding, magic out of nothing.

As much as I don't rate Ledson I don't think he had a bad game yesterday either, credit where it's due.

Shout out to Lowe. The change of set up changed the game and result. Very impressed. He's clearly growing as a manager. Game management yesterday was spot on.

Can't wait to get the injured lads back and complete our transfer business, you could clearly see yesterday how we lack options from the bench. If Everton are still messing about then we have to move on now, it's getting silly, leave them to get relegated.

What a brilliant start to the season, very impressive given the lads we are missing.

I agree . Even Lowe shocked me , ( god forbid😉) . He made the change early and it was exactly what was needed . Browne became immediately effective and MCCan combined with Ledson to lock it down in midfield . It was an entertaining game and I thought but didn’t dare say it to myself that we would win even after we went down one nil. Ledsons effort wasn’t that much over the top ( Ledson I. The box!!!?) and Mads two efforts were a good hint as to what might happen. Woodie hardly had a save to make and after so many MOM performances last season he’s not had to hold back the tide .. just another thought . It’s something else when you see Storey out on the wing or overlapping .. I’ll stop there the South African red is kicking in .. but it is a good start isn’t it ?