PNE youth team thread for 2018/19 season

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron

Report from yesterday’s 1-1 draw with Carlisle. Sounds like a great goal from a Pollard.

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron

I didn’t realise the lads were playing today. They drew 1-1 with Walsall, Walsall equalising in stoppage time. Ethan Walker scored for PNE. The match report can be found on the above link.

I wasn't at the game either but heard Preston absolutely battered Walsall but just couldn't score. I also heard that Josh Earls brother is becoming a really good player, getting better game by game.

Do we know if anyone other than Baxter and O'Reilly have been signed from this current crop. I am amazed if that is the case after seeing them all emerge 3 or 4 years ago.

Good to see we are involving u15 and u16 players, let's hope we can produce another 1 or 2 over the next few years.

I wasn't at the game either but heard Preston absolutely battered Walsall but just couldn't score. I also heard that Josh Earls brother is becoming a really good player, getting better game by game.

Do we know if anyone other than Baxter and O'Reilly have been signed from this current crop. I am amazed if that is the case after seeing them all emerge 3 or 4 years ago.

Good to see we are involving u15 and u16 players, let's hope we can produce another 1 or 2 over the next few years.
tower... not sure what the rules are now but it was expected the 2nd years had to be told by April so they can get trials elsewhere......having said that GW didnt tell them until May !!!....

Cant see either keeper being kept; not sure Jolley or Brannighan will, Armer I would expect will and I'd like to see Simmo given a year too.

The rest I think are only 1st years ....

cheers V17 - in that case I would put him in the Jolley / Branighan bracket....

my problem is 'not who will get deals, but what will we do with those who get them?' 12 months training and watching the 1st team games doesnt seem to work well......dropping into non league doesn't either unless its the conference.....

Rehab thanks for the update.

I agree it's a massive gulf and widening every season. The club now need a strategy to get them through the next few years or they will simply drift away.

You look at Ben Davies and joining York City for a year must have had some massive help in his development.

Rehab thanks for the update.

I agree it's a massive gulf and widening every season. The club now need a strategy to get them through the next few years or they will simply drift away.

You look at Ben Davies and joining York City for a year must have had some massive help in his development.
yes it did but York were Div 2 / conference....... and that is the level the likes of OReilly; Baxter would need to go to.......
Hyde ok for this season but not the right level for next season imo...... not sure Mickey Howard or Tom Stead will get a 2nd deal after not progressing it a 'reasonable level....neither did Josh Heaton etc.... but others like Hudson hardly play any football and that cant help either....

Someone like Luka Connell at BWFC would be playing 20+ games at Under 23 level against Prem U23's and we dont have that option.

Totally agree as the lower down you go the less football you play which doesn't help ex academy players. Baxter and O'Reilly will just simply be by passed

What I'm saying is the lower the standard of football you play the less football you play.

As both those are midfielders they wont get on the ball as much

The centre halfs simply pump it forward

epsilon

Reserve
Michael Howard is presently on loan to Stalybridge Celtic in the Northern Premier League (tier 7). It's his second 6-month loan of the season, which is great for the player.

There have been 7 games so far, of which he has started 3.

In the first he claimed an assist in the 1-0 win over Hednesford (ironically who were his first loan club of the year).

I haven't noticed any other assists or goals. The other two opponents, where he started the game, were Buxton and Nantwich - both quite high in the table. Stalybridge Celtic are about 16th. He came on as sub in two further games. The opponents for all 5 games are currently placed 13 7 5 14 4 in the league. It's a bit early to say how this is going.

Some commentary from the Buxton game is interesting:

"the chance of the half came to Michael Howard, whose free kick had bend and pace, requiring Bruce to throw himself across the face of goal, getting just enough on the ball to tip it onto the bar."

"Howard was again at it from the free kick, this time bending it the other way around the wall, the save from Bruce had to be good."

epsilon

Reserve
Sports, I meant to reply to #588, 590 earlier. I take your point about Stead and Howard not doing that well, in the bigger picture. Further, Lyons has possibly left the club after only getting a tier 10 loan.

I take it that the club wishes to see players achieve some level of success at conference level (tier 5) or higher once they've left the academy. Davies is an example of a player who has achieved that - 4 years of loans in his case.

O'Reilly has got a month loan but tier 7 - Hyde is relatively close to home, which may be a factor. However, what level do you think O'Reilly could actually play at now, and be successful ?

If there is a gulf to be bridged between academy and Championship, how long will the club allow for a player to do that ?

There will have to be at least one club-developed player in the matchday squad on an ongoing basis. (Who knows when that will start increasing.)

Restarting an U23 team seems only a remote possibility at the moment. Lack of enough players, for one thing, makes that hard.

Lots of questions, some easier than others. Any and all answers appreciated.

Sports, I meant to reply to #588, 590 earlier. I take your point about Stead and Howard not doing that well, in the bigger picture. Further, Lyons has possibly left the club after only getting a tier 10 loan.

I take it that the club wishes to see players achieve some level of success at conference level (tier 5) or higher once they've left the academy. Davies is an example of a player who has achieved that - 4 years of loans in his case.

O'Reilly has got a month loan but tier 7 - Hyde is relatively close to home, which may be a factor. However, what level do you think O'Reilly could actually play at now, and be successful ?

If there is a gulf to be bridged between academy and Championship, how long will the club allow for a player to do that ?

There will have to be at least one club-developed player in the matchday squad on an ongoing basis. (Who knows when that will start increasing.)

Restarting an U23 team seems only a remote possibility at the moment. Lack of enough players, for one thing, makes that hard.

Lots of questions, some easier than others. Any and all answers appreciated.
Epsil.... dont get me wrong, I'm sure its not easy to get what we might like. For instance we 'could' look for local favours and ask Fylde or Salford or Chorley to take a couple of the young lads, but all 3 of those clubs are going for promotion and wont want to risk that just to give our lads 'experience. However I have little evidence that dropping down to level 7 will get someone ready for the Championship (or higher) the season after next.

I can see that spending the first 6 month of next season training and bounce games with our 1st team will be very beneficial in the long term, but then playing 'reals games' from January onwards is a must for me...

Prem clubs tend not t loan players to Div 2 so why should Champ clubs loan out to level 6 or 7 IF we want them to progress.

possibly the'last' academy graduate to make it into 'pro footy' after getting a contract with us will be Nick Anderton. Nick didnt really get a look in at Deepdale and went out to Barrow. He was doing ok there then got a bad injury.... I think we released him and he ended up back at Barrow.
B'pool signed him and didnt play him, so sent him on loan to Accy. At Accy he had a good couple of months and so Pool called him back in January and now he is a regular at the top half of L1...... probably 3 years after he left our Academy....and to be honest Nick was always a better left back than Josh Earl (imo)......

OReilly; Baxter; Armer ? I think they need either Conference footy or better still Morecambe and L2 real stuff...... Same with Hudson if we keep him again.....

Academies differ.... I know when EPPP came in the PNE academy staff wanted us to register as a CAt 2 but the club decided to cut back and settle for level 3.....

Huddersfield, after reaching the Prem, dropped their junior academy completely and only have 16's upwards now.
Bolton kept their cat 2 and are fully Pro up to U23 level......with a number of ex Pro's running all their levels.
Rovers are Cat 1 but could be dropping to cat 2 this summer.,

All of those clubs would say it depends on whether the manager backs 'young players' or not - Parky @ Bolton doesnt; Neil @ PNe clear likes too.

Not sure if that helps you question..... Just on Davies....his York loans were to a L2 / Conference team - I think he helped them avoid relegation from L2 in his first loan.... we must be looking at that level for lads who have already made the 1st team bench.

Great comments these and make total sense.

Nicky Anderton very unlucky i.m.o. probably got injured at the wrong time. Hopefully still has time on his side to get higher up the league's.

Hope Armer recovers from his recent illness as I think he has great potential but heard he is way off yet.

I also think Baxter and O'Reilly have to play at a decent level on loan as they wont get involved or develop enough and will not be used to their full potential. What Rehab has said hits the nail on the head regarding playing at the right level.

Great comments these and make total sense.

Nicky Anderton very unlucky i.m.o. probably got injured at the wrong time. Hopefully still has time on his side to get higher up the league's.

Hope Armer recovers from his recent illness as I think he has great potential but heard he is way off yet.

I also think Baxter and O'Reilly have to play at a decent level on loan as they wont get involved or develop enough and will not be used to their full potential. What Rehab has said hits the nail on the head regarding playing at the right level.
cheers tower..... not sure what Nick thinks of playing for' the rivals' as he was (is?) a big North End fan....... but its a career not a hobby so a stepping stone for him. His used to be nicknamed thew next Gareth Bale at one point in the youths.....sadly it didnt happen but he was hampered by the injury and 'changes at the senior level!'.....

Not seen Jack since his comeback but agree he looked good before his long lay off......