Podcast

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
The 25 man squad thing is really frustrating. Moult won’t be in contention to start until December/Jan imo. Waste of a space.
I think the combination of that with the lower league salary cap has left no market for us to offload unwanted players into. Frustrating and will probably be the case in January too.

In more normal circumstances, I'm not sure the likes of Bodin, Ripley etc. would still be here. The only players that have left the club are Tom Clarke (out of contract) and Josh Ginnelly.

Will only be an opportunity for a refresh next summer when several players are out of contract.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
That time of the week, again. Hope that this is quite balanced after the outrage following yesterday’s defeat.

good pod this week, enjoyed it
provided some good counter arguments to neil criticism/criticism in general. and in general i totally agree, however, theres now undoubtedly an issue emerging with our home form, and inconsistent and under performance which is real and is concerning. think neil needs to unlock this puzzle, and fast.

Kenmare_White

Advisor to the Owner
Alex has come out today and echoed a few of the comments from the podcast. He’s pissed off with lack of recruitment - 2 signings in 12 months just isn’t adequate.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Excellent pod as always, loved Ollie's assessment of the fans that claim that AN only has one formation and style of play 😂

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Alex has come out today and echoed a few of the comments from the podcast. He’s pissed off with lack of recruitment - 2 signings in 12 months just isn’t adequate.
Rock and hard place for me, I totally agree and your post is exactly correct, Neil and the pod are aligned, but there's an element here of taking the eye off the ball whilst all this open criticism is being thrown about that our home form is atrocious, it's absolutely abysmal, and well below the capabilities of the side. Yeah I get all the comments on lack of signings, prem loans etc. But for me Alex has a lot of responsibility here also.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
He was right. It is just lazy. If you don't like things we are doing at least give a critical response rather than rolling out lazy tropes
Don't disagree course, but no amount of press triggers or cover shadows can explain away the abysmal and consistent under performance at home now. You know I'm a huge Neil admirer too, were far better than the shite that's being dished up at the moment.

OldManWithers

First Team
Polite request:

Please can we have an analysis done on the website that allows people to understand how the pressing game works and why you can't do it when teams plonk 11 men behind the ball and don't move out quickly.
And an analysis of how to break down a team that plonks 11 behind the ball. And then pass it to Alex

the12thman

Manager
Good pod again. However, did not agree with the point that looking at our form since we went top of the league is pointless. 36 games is not an insignificant number. It is also 36 games with essentially the same group of players. Had we made loads of changes over the summer then I would agree that it is pointless looking back to last November. This poor form has gone on for a long time now.

billymac

Forum Patron
Patron
Polite request:

Please can we have an analysis done on the website that allows people to understand how the pressing game works and why you can't do it when teams plonk 11 men behind the ball and don't move out quickly.

so how would you break this down then paddy?

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
How would I break down 11 men behind the ball?

In an ideal situation I would have fullbacks putting balls into the box towards a striker who is likely to win something in the air with the 10 close to pick up any rebounds or knock downs.

Alternatively I would use players who are capable of creating space out of nothing in order to play to feet between the lines

AN did neither of these things at weekend but as I said at the time the decision to start the same players that did so well against Brentford was understandable if ultimately incorrect.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
One of the things that analysis highlighted is something I've been going on about for a long long time now and it's how the feeding of the ball from the full backs is either non existent or of poor quality. Very very rarely do we see decent balls zipped into the front man to control and lay off and bring others into play.

So this is either a quality issue, under instruction or lack of suitable movement from the front players. It's probably all 3.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
You've got be good....

Every team has a weakness, either structural or individual, you just need to find it. We don't seem good at that at home.

The press is actually quite easy to nullify and thats a problem if its your big thing - just make it so a team doesn't have to do it, let them have the ball, keep your shape and be prepared to make good use of the ball when you inevitably get it back.

So we need something else. I think we have players who can unlock a massed defence, Ledson, Maguire, Johnson, Harrop, Gallagher can all pick a pass so we need to work at a way of using them to do that. Good movement off the ball helps too - are we sometimes too rigid so when a bit of ingenuity is required aren't capable of doing so?

BenPearsonIsGod

Advisor to the Owner
We have created a From the Finney FPL league should you like to join. No prizes, just bragging rights. The code is: zum9k9. The auto join link for the league is - https://bit.ly/AutoJoinFPL.

Also, we have created a From the Finney league on a new platform for Championship Fantasy Football called Gaffr.io. You can sign up here - https://www.gaffr.io/ and our league code, should you wish to join, is - vHzAw8h3U0W0pexlKGRtjA.
Going alright on this Gaffr league, much prefer it to FPL.