Podcast

callum-pne

First Team
I liked how Pearson didn't overly rate Dolan.

Said he had good feet but he's seen hundreds of players like that who can't do it at Championship level.
Would love to hear the bits which were undoubtedly discussed but weren’t put in for various, understandable, reasons.

Believe there may have been more bits off the record on Dolan and particularly the appointment of Frankie

Durutti

Advisor to the Owner
I am a bit dismayed that yet again, we are treating players like total shit. I go back to what Parkin said, football is shite. Managers just bully players and put them in the reserves for contract/non-footballing reasons. To put BP into the reserves at RB then tell him not to train any more because he celebrates a goal to a person who is trying to undermine his progression in his career. Thank god we fired off Neil. A total disaster of a man manager in his final year and that behaviour would suggest the actions of a prick.

We've had a really shit history of it, going back to the Darren Ferguson era and it's utterly horrible. Stop it now PNE or drop every mental health related post/support due to the absolute hypocrisy of it all.

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
Weirdly, I have no issue with Neil in that situation. He's setting up 11 vs 11s, and if BP isn't gonna be part of the squad, then having him cover a position we're short a player makes more sense?

If BP is gonna take that to heart and start acting like a knob to the manager, then yeah, I'd expect him to get sent home.

I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that AN was trying to 'undermine the progression of his career'? He played him constantly till he announced he was gonna leave, so he got in replacements and played them instead?

PNEPhil83

Payer of the taxman
Patron
Weirdly, I have no issue with Neil in that situation. He's setting up 11 vs 11s, and if BP isn't gonna be part of the squad, then having him cover a position we're short a player makes more sense?

If BP is gonna take that to heart and start acting like a knob to the manager, then yeah, I'd expect him to get sent home.

I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that AN was trying to 'undermine the progression of his career'? He played him constantly till he announced he was gonna leave, so he got in replacements and played them instead?
Agree with this.

He claimed he was doing right by the club by telling them in December that he wouldn’t sign the new contract, so they can get a replacement in.

Is Pearson that naive that he thought he’d still play after the club signed his replacement?

He’s seen his arse because he was asked to fill in at right back, in a training exercise, at the training ground. It’s not like he was sent to train with the kids for six months or sent up and down the country in a mini bus playing for the youth team, is it.

As for his ‘celebration’ in front of Neil. If you’re gonna act the C U Next Tuesday to the manger, in front of the whole sqaud, there’s only going to be one winner isn’t there.

And let’s not pretend he wasn’t aware of a potential move in December when he informed the club he wouldn’t be staying.

djwoody

Manager
Pearson came across really well, and full credit to him for doing the podcast.
He was bang on about the atmosphere at Deepdale too - it's truly awful most of the time.
I don't understand what he expected Neil to do when he told him he was leaving. You're not going to sign replacements and then not play them, are you?

BPIG - GBNF

Forum Patron
Patron
I posted at the time that I’d heard Pearson had refused to play in that Wycombe cup game and it came from a fellow squad member at the time. Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding more than anything but we’ve only heard Ben’s side of the story at the moment. I’m inclined to believe it though.

Mr. M

Manager
I finally got around to listen to Part 1 of the interview. Wow! This is some seriously good interviewing work by @FTF - this is probably the most compelling episode I have listened to from your entire set of episodes. I think this is just such a revelatory view from a recent player of the team and I love how honest and insightful Pearson is in this interview. He is saying all the things we have all felt and comes across well in this part of the interview.

KeithLard

Forum Patron
Patron
Interesting post and I don't disagree with some of it. But why is he obviously right ? If Sinclair scores fifteen to twenty goals next season, then he's obviously not right. Hindsight is easy, you me or anyone else don't know what the future holds. Look at what happened with DJ Campbell at the lashers. It pains me to say but he was superb for them, past his best (that's why he went there) but obviously not past his best, because he kept scoring, didn't he.
Brett Ormerod too. Couldn't get in our mid-table on the slide team, goes to Blackpool, sends them up to the Premier League and plays there too. Doesn't look out of place. Some pace has gone, but still has the quality.

We write players off way too quickly. Sinclair is a cracking player. Needs to be used properly. Same with Barkhuizen to a lesser extent. Neil stifled many players with negative football. I'd love to see us playing with Sinclair as a second striker.

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
Sinclair is a cracking player. Needs to be used properly.
Agreed and he's got star quality. Youngsters (for example) like to see these kind of players. I just hope the coaching can get him up to speed without overdoing it and picking up a needless injury or something in training.

Durutti

Advisor to the Owner

I think it's a shit decision on all fronts. One, he's a great player, playing for a move away. Why stop playing him anyway? He's not going to lack motivation is he? Why keep playing Browne and DJ who having not signed were, in real terms, Literally in the same situation for all anyone knew.

The contract problems were down to the club, AN punished BP for it. It's pathetic and textbook North End. Send players to the reserves because they aren't playing well. This whole 'you fuck off with them' thing is somewhere between bullying and unprofessionalism.

Durutti

Advisor to the Owner
Agree with this.

He claimed he was doing right by the club by telling them in December that he wouldn’t sign the new contract, so they can get a replacement in.

Is Pearson that naive that he thought he’d still play after the club signed his replacement?

He’s seen his arse because he was asked to fill in at right back, in a training exercise, at the training ground. It’s not like he was sent to train with the kids for six months or sent up and down the country in a mini bus playing for the youth team, is it.

As for his ‘celebration’ in front of Neil. If you’re gonna act the C U Next Tuesday to the manger, in front of the whole sqaud, there’s only going to be one winner isn’t there.

And let’s not pretend he wasn’t aware of a potential move in December when he informed the club he wouldn’t be staying.

Shows how thin skinned Neil was. Ridiculous to ask someone who has played that well for us not to even come into training. Treat someone like shit and you get the reaction like that. Good of Ben to speak so positively of him in the interview generally.

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
I think it's a shit decision on all fronts. One, he's a great player, playing for a move away. Why stop playing him anyway? He's not going to lack motivation is he? Why keep playing Browne and DJ who having not signed were, in real terms, Literally in the same situation for all anyone knew.

The contract problems were down to the club, AN punished BP for it. It's pathetic and textbook North End. Send players to the reserves because they aren't playing well. This whole 'you fuck off with them' thing is somewhere between bullying and unprofessionalism.

Because we have to prepare to move on without him, we've paid good money for Whiteman, and it's time to integrate the future of our midfield? Browne and DJ were still considering staying. BP wasn't, cards were on the table.

It's not a punishment, it's pragmatic management of the club. He trained with the first team until he acted like a prick, and forced management's hand.

Durutti

Advisor to the Owner
Because we have to prepare to move on without him, we've paid good money for Whiteman, and it's time to integrate the future of our midfield? Browne and DJ were still considering staying. BP wasn't, cards were on the table.

It's not a punishment, it's pragmatic management of the club. He trained with the first team until he acted like a prick, and forced management's hand.

Telling the manager you want to leave isn't acting like a prick. Players have a right to improve themselves. You shouldn't be put into the reserves for that. A

StickyBrick

Forum Patron
Patron
Telling the manager you want to leave isn't acting like a prick. Players have a right to improve themselves. You shouldn't be put into the reserves for that. A
Ok, think of it the other way around.

If you were Whiteman and you have just been bought as Pearson's replacement, but then can't get in because the manager keeps selecting him......

PNEPhil83

Payer of the taxman
Patron
Shows how thin skinned Neil was.
Pearson as well to be fair.

That isn’t why he was sent home though is it? He said he told the club he wanted to leave and to sign a replacement in December. He got sent home the week before his Bournemouth in January, by the sounds of it.

He wasn’t put into the reserves. He was asked to play at RB in an 11v11 training exercise at the training ground. The 11 that would playing on the Saturday vs an 11 that won’t be involved/starting. His replacement had been brought so he wasn’t involved. So he played for the ‘2nd’ 11. He got the hump over it so acted the prick to the manager after he’d scored.

How many times on undrthecosh has Parkin said he’d be kicking cones over and disrupting training to get a move?

pne1881

Advisor to the Owner
I'm not really all that keen on BP getting the huff at being asked to play RB & celebrating a goal in front of the manager. Understand he would be pi**ed off but it's a lack of professionalism for me. Of course AN is gonna punish him, you can't have players doing that no matter who you are.

The real culprit in this situation is The Ridder who allowed the contract situation to occur in the 1st place.