PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Podcast

I'm not really all that keen on BP getting the huff at being asked to play RB & celebrating a goal in front of the manager. Understand he would be pi**ed off but it's a lack of professionalism for me. Of course AN is gonna punish him, you can't have players doing that no matter who you are.

The real culprit in this situation is The Ridder who allowed the contract situation to occur in the 1st place.

I might be wrong but I imagine the stance on contracts was down to the owner rather than his advisor.

I might be wrong but I imagine the stance on contracts was down to the owner rather than his advisor.

Absolutely right mate.

As much as I don't like Riddler & the condescending way he communicates there is only 1 guy calling the shots..

Enjoyed the Pearson Podcast - however a bit disappointed the interviewer didn’t press Ben further about his opinion on our new manager ( asked the question but then didn’t really pursue Ben’s views to any degree ) the other thing that I think is unnecessary is the interviewers frequent swearing - bit unprofessional- Ben never swore once . Believe me I can swear with the best of them - but at the right time . I was listening with young relatives and it’s not best ever .

Thanks for all of the feedback and support over the weekend. We're currently the number one club-specific sports podcast on Spotify in the UK. Gonna get a nosebleed if we break into the top 20!

Congrats fellas! great stuff !!

Telling the manager you want to leave isn't acting like a prick. Players have a right to improve themselves. You shouldn't be put into the reserves for that. A
Celebrating a training ground goal in front of the manager is acting like a prick though.

End of the day the contract situation is down to the club and it's their fault entirely. However, I wouldn't blame any manager choosing to play new signings ahead of players who clearly don't want to be here. He chose to play him at right back - a position we was short (again the club's fault.) and Pearson celebrated in front of the manager.

This is all the club's fault but imagine what all the other players were thinking seeing a player act like that in front of the boss. He was rightly asked not to come back.

I am a bit dismayed that yet again, we are treating players like total shit. I go back to what Parkin said, football is shite. Managers just bully players and put them in the reserves for contract/non-footballing reasons. To put BP into the reserves at RB then tell him not to train any more because he celebrates a goal to a person who is trying to undermine his progression in his career. Thank god we fired off Neil. A total disaster of a man manager in his final year and that behaviour would suggest the actions of a prick.

We've had a really shit history of it, going back to the Darren Ferguson era and it's utterly horrible. Stop it now PNE or drop every mental health related post/support due to the absolute hypocrisy of it all.

I wouldn't really take what Jon Parkin has said as gospel. His stories are hillarious but Jesus christ he must have been one of the most unprofessional football players to coach. There must be a good reason why has has so many clubs and it's because every manager probably got fed up of his antics. Three years was his longest stay at a club in one spell and that was with us.

Celebrating a training ground goal in front of the manager is acting like a prick though.

End of the day the contract situation is down to the club and it's their fault entirely. However, I wouldn't blame any manager choosing to play new signings ahead of players who clearly don't want to be here. He chose to play him at right back - a position we was short (again the club's fault.) and Pearson celebrated in front of the manager.

This is all the club's fault but imagine what all the other players were thinking seeing a player act like that in front of the boss. He was rightly asked not to come back.

Again, thin skinned, totalitarian management. Any real manager would just laugh at a player for celebrating a goal in a training match, not tell them to stay away from training for good. Human beings are flawed, christ knows Neil showed enough of that in the final months. To treat Pearson the way he was treated was embarrassing and it's been mentioned a few times that we are developing a rep for it. Nugent did little more than sign a contract we offered and then was told to train with the kids when it was clear we had fucked up.

Time for us to actually start treating the people who WE choose to employ with a little more respect.

Good podcast, thanks.
Apathy FC. Really resonates.
Not sure if I believe everything Pearson said.
Can understand why you removed the part about McEvoy, since he's our current manager.
Try not to finish off the guests sentences by guessing out loud what they are going to say next. Let them talk and finish their answer themselves.

Again, thin skinned, totalitarian management. Any real manager would just laugh at a player for celebrating a goal in a training match, not tell them to stay away from training for good. Human beings are flawed, christ knows Neil showed enough of that in the final months. To treat Pearson the way he was treated was embarrassing and it's been mentioned a few times that we are developing a rep for it. Nugent did little more than sign a contract we offered and then was told to train with the kids when it was clear we had fucked up.

Time for us to actually start treating the people who WE choose to employ with a little more respect.

I certainly wouldn’t have been raging at Pearo for celebrating a goal in training, although I would have been amazed that he remembered what to do.

However, the other thread says that he was celebrating scoring an own goal.

Which would make him a knob.

Can you just explain how Pearson was treated which was so bad? He didn’t train with the reserves like you said. Alex Ferguson is the best manager of all time. You think he would have stood for that. He probably would have kicked a boot at his head and told him to fuck off.

He didn’t just celebrate he celebrated in his face. A proper manager would not stand for that.

I was no particular fan of AN but that's absolute nonsense.

Suddenly Pearson is being vilified by some for apparently behaving like a knob.

Wasn't that part of the reason we loved him when he was playing for us?

Who's vilifying him? He was acting like a knob to the manager when he was already leaving. He made his position on the training ground undesirable. Doesn't mean I don't still love Pearo. It was just a shitty end to his time here.

Yeah I tend to agree that celebrating in Neil’s face was a bit of a dick move. Just undermines the manager in front of the whole squad.

Edit: on the flip side, I also totally understand why he did it and I’d probably have done the same thing, doesn’t mean Neil was wrong to send him home though.

Yeah I tend to agree that celebrating in Neil’s face was a bit of a dick move. Just undermines the manager in front of the whole squad.

Edit: on the flip side, I also totally understand why he did it and I’d probably have done the same thing, doesn’t mean Neil was wrong to send him home though.

I think the dick move is dropping your best player because he has been up front with you about wanting to leave the club whilst playing others who were obviously doing similar in a less up front way. If anyone honestly believes Browne and DJ were not open to better offers like the one Pearson got they are seriously deluded. I'm not criticising either of them by the way, this is simply their job and good luck to them.

His job is to do best for the club, and that means integrating the new signings. For someone who's been so adamant about the lack of minutes given to Bayliss, you seem strangely stubborn on this issue, even though they're basically the same thing- preparing for the future has value.

His job is to do best for the club, and that means integrating the new signings. For someone who's been so adamant about the lack of minutes given to Bayliss, you seem strangely stubborn on this issue, even though they're basically the same thing- preparing for the future has value.

I don't see the link. You can integrate new players without being a bell end towards the ones who have already proven themselves useful. As many of the pros on the podcast have said, you get a rep for this stuff.

I'm all for the club being less sentimental when it comes to contracts/transfers/etc. I'm not down with going down the Darren Ferguson route of isolating useful players.

As for being 'stubborn', I'd say that's arrogance on your part. You're just assuming everyone has to agree with you on everything once you've put your point across but on this, I genuinely think you are wrong. Neil mismanaged the squad on and off the pitch. His man management went out of the window along with his decision making. That was obvious on the pitch and in Jake's brilliant interview it gives a good indication that was the case off it too.

Feel free to disagree by all means.

I don't see the link. You can integrate new players without being a bell end towards the ones who have already proven themselves useful. As many of the pros on the podcast have said, you get a rep for this stuff.

I'm all for the club being less sentimental when it comes to contracts/transfers/etc. I'm not down with going down the Darren Ferguson route of isolating useful players.

As for being 'stubborn', I'd say that's arrogance on your part. You're just assuming everyone has to agree with you on everything once you've put your point across but on this, I genuinely think you are wrong. Neil mismanaged the squad on and off the pitch. His man management went out of the window along with his decision making. That was obvious on the pitch and in Jake's brilliant interview it gives a good indication that was the case off it too.

Feel free to disagree by all means.

It's not 'being a bellend' to not play somebody. It's not inherently mismanagement. Pearson was leaving and didn't want to be here any more. It was time to play the players who wanted to be there. Even if you disagree, I'm sure you can understand the logic and validity of that viewpoint from a manager's perspective.

He was fit and training with the first team until he acted like a dick to the manager. At that point he's no longer wanted in training. If I started being a twat to my manager, I'd also expect to be sent home.

I wasn't trying to be insulting by saying stubborn, but it doesn't seem like you've even attempted to look at both sides on this one.