PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Poland vs Argentina

Poland were shocking tonight but France did lose to Switzerland last year and they lost to Tunisia today. Fair enough it was their reserves but mbappe still had 30 minutes from the bench.

Could be an interesting match anyway.

Pathetic rule. Poland just sat deep trying not to concede, barely making a challenge. As Danny Murphy said, shots on target would be a better alternative. Make teams have a go.
I like that , good option - it rewards attacking intent..

Chesney was easily Poland’s best. Lewandowski hardly had a touch. I think Argentina can still go up a couple of gears.

Chesney was easily Poland’s best. Lewandowski hardly had a touch. I think Argentina can still go up a couple of gears.
I stand by my original pre-tournament prediction of a France v Argentina final….

Pathetic rule. Poland just sat deep trying not to concede, barely making a challenge. As Danny Murphy said, shots on target would be a better alternative. Make teams have a go.

I look forward to VAR arguing about which kicks constitutes "shots" ;) (scuffs, mishits, pathetic dribble 'shots', crosses looping into the keeper's hands that are technically on target) - Are shots that get blocked by a defender counted? (I saw a written piece by Shearer saying that Kane didn't have a shot on target in two games, but had an excellent effort v USA blocked by a defender). VAR would need to decide whether each shot was on target, or maybe going to curl just off target etc

I think you need something factual and countable. Maybe corners would be better? I don't like it. Nothing's perfect... and maybe Yellow cards might be as good as anything.

I look forward to VAR arguing about which kicks constitutes "shots" ;) (scuffs, mishits, pathetic dribble 'shots', crosses looping into the keeper's hands that are technically on target) - Are shots that get blocked by a defender counted? (I saw a written piece by Shearer saying that Kane didn't have a shot on target in two games, but had an excellent effort v USA blocked by a defender). VAR would need to decide whether each shot was on target, or maybe going to curl just off target etc

I think you need something factual and countable. Maybe corners would be better? I don't like it. Nothing's perfect... and maybe Yellow cards might be as good as anything.
You use the opta stats that are used in every game and have been for years. Nothing to do with VAR.

You use the opta stats that are used in every game and have been for years. Nothing to do with VAR.

I dismissed that in my own mind. I just cannot see Opta working without some sort of refereeing / FIFA oversight... and potentially an appeals process. I know Opta are experienced, but there is so much subjectivity involved with some of the data collection - as per the things I put in brackets on my previous post.

I mean... you COULD choose to use Opta (in which case, perhaps you could alternatively use the Expected Goals for and against)... but IMO, it would be a disaster. I really do think we need something factual and countable if we're going to go down this route.

The game is broken.
VAR needs fucking off.
It's not VAR that's the problem but rather the incompetent bunch of individuals that operate it.
1. The referee should not have been asked to look at the incident.
2. He should have had the bottle and common sense to not give a penalty.
VAR is fine. It is the ludicrous interpretation of the laws that they have decided to use it for that is the problem.

The threshold for which VAR is brought into play needs to be much much higher but they’re like a teenage boy who’s just discovered wanking.

The more matches I watch, the more convinced I am that England have nothing to fear in this competition.
The winners will come from England, France or Brazil.

It’s not the players we or the other team have that scare me, it’s Southgate.

Let’s see if he has learnt from that.

Interesting that against wales he made a tactical change at half time that broke the game (ok, it’s only wales, but I can’t really remember that happening before during a game).

The more matches I watch, the more convinced I am that England have nothing to fear in this competition.
The winners will come from England, France or Brazil.
Brazil look imperious atm and should be everyone’s clear favourites. As someone else has said on this thread, Argentina look like they could go up a gear. Spain always a threat. Portugal have looked handy so far.

I’d put England in the secondary group of challengers, behind France and Brazil.

Brazil look like they haven't crawled up their own arses this time which is always a worry. Similarly, France seem pretty focused too. You wouldn't fancy facing either of them but I'm not sure anyone would particularly fancy facing us either!

Brazil look imperious atm and should be everyone’s clear favourites. As someone else has said on this thread, Argentina look like they could go up a gear. Spain always a threat. Portugal have looked handy so far.

I’d put England in the secondary group of challengers, behind France and Brazil.
Totally agree with this.

Par for England has always been the quarters anything above that is good.