PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Policing of Blackpool Game - Meeting with Lancs Police

JK

I try not to fly in the face of public opinion!
Staff member
Patron
Last week (4th Nov) alongside representatives of From the Finney (Podcast), Preston Supporters Collective and PNE Supporters Liaison we were invited to attend a meeting with Lancashire police to discuss the football operation for the Blackpool v PNE fixture and the issues many fans raised.

The meeting was very open and constructive and our concerns were discussed at length.

The police were also able to explain in detail their plans and intentions to police the match.

We are now fully aware of the policing operation and why decisions were taken on the day, set against the wider context of the operation. This allowed ourselves to be made aware of events and factors that previously at the time we didn’t know- this has made our understanding of what went on and why much clearer.

The police also acknowledged and apologised where errors had occurred and have offered opportunities for the learning and concerns from this event to inform future police training utilising a fans perspective.

Overall a very worthwhile meeting to help improve fan experience at matches and allow an insight into the policing operation.

John what events and factors? As stated I was pushed by an officer and path blocked by a horse.

John what events and factors? As stated I was pushed by an officer and path blocked by a horse.

Pretty much everything that fans raised concerns about, much of which was discussed on that thread.

Coaches, Policing Atttitudes, Policing of Pubs, Trains, In the Stadium, egress and entering of the stadium.

Last week (4th Nov) alongside representatives of From the Finney (Podcast), Preston Supporters Collective and PNE Supporters Liaison we were invited to attend a meeting with Lancashire police to discuss the football operation for the Blackpool v PNE fixture and the issues many fans raised.

The meeting was very open and constructive and our concerns were discussed at length.

The police were also able to explain in detail their plans and intentions to police the match.

We are now fully aware of the policing operation and why decisions were taken on the day, set against the wider context of the operation. This allowed ourselves to be made aware of events and factors that previously at the time we didn’t know- this has made our understanding of what went on and why much clearer.

The police also acknowledged and apologised where errors had occurred and have offered opportunities for the learning and concerns from this event to inform future police training utilising a fans perspective.

Overall a very worthwhile meeting to help improve fan experience at matches and allow an insight into the policing operation.
They were very fortunate an early goal wasn’t scored because it could have caused absolute mayhem and injury in the queues to get in the stadium at the last minute.

I don’t think that pushing people should be part of their policing strategy….. unless said people are being obstructive
Exactly wasn't being obstructive.They were out of control pushing away from cordon to the south when i needed go North. Seems they had issues again against QPR.

Just to say though, whilst I’m still cheesed off with how that game was handled by the Police, we should take the time to thank the fans Collective and JK who gave up their time to discuss the issues on our behalf, it’s the only way to go and resolve and prevent bad feelings between fans and the Police.

Just to say though, whilst I’m still cheesed off with how that game was handled by the Police, we should take the time to thank the fans Collective and JK who gave up their time to discuss the issues on our behalf, it’s the only way to go and resolve and prevent bad feelings between fans and the Police.

Did you manage to get the pigeon and seagull shit off your clothes ? :)

So can you enlighten us all on the Police Operation for the day and why decisions were made and the events and factors that lead to these.
Great a meeting took place, but would also like to understand the reasons and factors you mention.

So can you enlighten us all on the Police Operation for the day and why decisions were made and the events and factors that lead to these.
Great a meeting took place, but would also like to understand the reasons and factors you mention.
Agreed but don’t really give a shit to be honest. The police will do as they please and issue contrived apologies afterwards. This statement sounds like it’s been made by some quango - no detail but all very nice sounding. - a group who seem to like to sound important and should not be described as representing the fan base when self representation seems the goal.

Agreed but don’t really give a shit to be honest. The police will do as they please and issue contrived apologies afterwards. This statement sounds like it’s been made by some quango - no detail but all very nice sounding. - a group who seem to like to sound important and should not be described as representing the fan base when self representation seems the goal.
The fans representatives at the meeting seem to be from a number of different groups, so will wait to see if a more detailed explanation is given regarding the Policing of the game, which was the reason for the meeting.
Let's see if we get that information, if not then we can all reach our own conclusions as to why? 🤔

The fans representatives at the meeting seem to be from a number of different groups, so will wait to see if a more detailed explanation is given regarding the Policing of the game, which was the reason for the meeting.
Let's see if we get that information, if not then we can all reach our own conclusions as to why? 🤔
I really fail to see the point of this meeting other than to satisfy individual egos from whatever “fan group” the delegation was from. Did the police break any laws, were there mass riots on the streets, we’re huge numbers of fans hospitalised? All I saw on the day was the usual policing of a football match with the possibility of tension. Sounds like a load of belly aching because we got beat by Blackpool - had we won then I doubt any discussion would have been required. Similarly when I’ve been to Deadwood all the fans are tipped out together with minimal police involvement yet there are few complaints - possibly because we’ve done well there recently.

I really fail to see the point of this meeting other than to satisfy individual egos from whatever “fan group” the delegation was from. Did the police break any laws, were there mass riots on the streets, we’re huge numbers of fans hospitalised? All I saw on the day was the usual policing of a football match with the possibility of tension. Sounds like a load of belly aching because we got beat by Blackpool - had we won then I doubt any discussion would have been required. Similarly when I’ve been to Deadwood all the fans are tipped out together with minimal police involvement yet there are few complaints - possibly because we’ve done well there recently.
That's what this forum and others is about, differing opinions, there must have been sufficient complaints, with valid points and justification for the Police to actually meet with the representatives, if not they would have just continued down the lines of the original statement they made. 🤔

That's what this forum and others is about, differing opinions, there must have been sufficient complaints, with valid points and justification for the Police to actually meet with the representatives, if not they would have just continued down the lines of the original statement they made. 🤔
Possibly, but do you think those complaints would have been made had we gone there and mullered them 4-0?

I really fail to see the point of this meeting other than to satisfy individual egos from whatever “fan group” the delegation was from. Did the police break any laws, were there mass riots on the streets, we’re huge numbers of fans hospitalised? All I saw on the day was the usual policing of a football match with the possibility of tension. Sounds like a load of belly aching because we got beat by Blackpool - had we won then I doubt any discussion would have been required. Similarly when I’been to Deadwood all the fans are tipped out together with minimal police involvement yet there are few complaints - possibly because we’ve done well there recently.

I am not going to get into a debate about various supporters groups who can speak for themselves as can FTF.

After being invited by the match commander I went along with another long term PNE Online member as we witnessed and experienced in various issues throughout the day. We also wished to raise a number of points which where discussed at length on the forum.

Prior to the meeting I asked anyone to contact me if they had any specific issues to raise, no secrecy or ego bigging up here, not sure how spending 4 hours in a heated debate at Preston police station would boost mine or anyone else's ego.

To be clear we were invited by the Police as they where aware of the issues on the day. In my view it would have been a poor do not to go and hear them out.

I went along as I was livid with how we where treated and also with concern for any other football fans should the same issues arise for them in the future.

Nothing to do with losing the game (that's a totally different matter) if you didn't have a negative experience at the game then that is good news. Sadly many hundreds of supporters didn't.

The reason we have initially put out that summary was agreed between everyone that was there, we didn't want to have a he said, she said, they said type blame game response.

I am more than happy to answer any indervidual questions and have already contacted directly some fans who asked me to raise some issues.

We discussed the attitude of the police officers on duty, the delays on fans making kick off, official coaches missing the kick off.

Issues on entering and egress of the temporary stand. The crowd management in the stadium and the holding and release of fans which met the home supporters.

The issue around fans meeting each other at the end of Saville Road was never meant to happen and was not part of the policing plan.

The issues with the coaches being delayed was also an error and was accepted that it was unacceptable and the Police apolagised.

The over riding issues arouse from communication break downs and the Police accepted that this caused issues throughout the day.

I hope this answers some of yours and others points.

Last edited:
I was at the lasher away games in 2008 and 2009 (played on a Sunday lunchtime and Monday evening respectively in November-ish) and I remember being surprised as the general lack of "edge" or any bad feeling or concern at all inside outside the ground on both occasions (creaking golf stand notwithstanding).

Yet now its a major police concern for some reason. I can't imagine this game being allowed to be a night game, or even a normal kick off time in the winter now.

What I don't really understand is what has changed in a decade. Where has the heightened bad-blood come from? Was it the cup game in '13? I thought that football was largely over this sort of shite 10 years ago but clearly I was wrong.