Political Correctness

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Not offended, in fact I’d go for ‘amused’.

Usual BBC in-depth analogy; chosen vocabulary and phraseology, latently presenting the challenge as entirely reasonable.

Laughable.

IMO, you immediately think her case is without merit and IMO, this has made you roll your eyes and start spouting of at the messenger.

The BBC is not above criticism but it’s lame, lazy and boring to continually bleat about it.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
They are seemingly uncomfortable with the possibility of it being linked with gangmaster or slavemaster. Completely different context though.

It’s absolute fact that a fair proportion of slavemasters are women.

Calling these women “slavemasters” is disrespectful to them. Disgusting.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
IMO, you immediately think her case is without merit and IMO, this has made you roll your eyes and start spouting of at the messenger.

The BBC is not above criticism but it’s lame, lazy and boring to continually bleat about it.
You know what, you are right in this instance. I re-read the item and thought maybe I’ve overreacted a bit.

Still a double standard though.

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron

Very worrying implications for free speech - an interviewer investigated by the police for something an interviewee said, accused of stirring up racial hatred.

I assume that Louis Theroux and Stacy Dooley are also going to be questioned for the same accusation.

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron

Very worrying implications for free speech - an interviewer investigated by the police for something an interviewee said, accused of stirring up racial hatred.

I assume that Louis Theroux and Stacy Dooley are also going to be questioned for the same accusation.
Brexit campaigner Darren Grimes faces police investigation over the controversial interview published earlier this year in which historian David Starkey denied slavery was genocide because “so many damn blacks” survived.

Hate speech does not fall under free speech. That is blatantly hate speech.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Can’t be blamed for what his guest says

however,

You have to question why he decided to publish/broadcast what is openly highly racist hate speech.

Was it a live interview?

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron

I raise you

Julian Assange.

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron
Brexit campaigner Darren Grimes faces police investigation over the controversial interview published earlier this year in which historian David Starkey denied slavery was genocide because “so many damn blacks” survived.

Hate speech does not fall under free speech. That is blatantly hate speech.
So, an interviewer can be investigated for something an interviewee says?

What about Louis Theroux interviewing white supremacists, or Stacey Dooley interviewing Islamic fundamentalists with some pretty vile views? Are they also to be questioned for promoting hate speech?

I like to hear what people have to say and make up my own mind - in this case, that Starkey is a bellend with some horrible views. If you find it offensive, then nobody is making you listen.

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron

What about Louis Theroux interviewing white supremacists, or Stacey Dooley interviewing Islamic fundamentalists with some pretty vile views? Are they also to be questioned for promoting hate speech?

I like to hear what people have to say and make up my own mind - in this case, that Starkey is a bellend with some horrible views. If you find it offensive, then nobody is making you listen.
See James' comment. But yes Starkey is the one who should be investigated primarily.

It's not offensive, it's saying you're upset that black people didn't die. It's less offensive more indicative of a mental disorder.

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron
See James' comment. But yes Starkey is the one who should be investigated primarily.

It's not offensive, it's saying you're upset that black people didn't die. It's less offensive more indicative of a mental disorder.
Starkey is an idiot who said something offensive - should he be arrested and charged for that? Some would think so, but we are opening doors that lead to some very worrying places.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron

If they also published it knowing it crosses obvious lines, then, yes