Political Correctness

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
Agreed - a bit of old school politeness goes a long way.

As always, the problem is the small but very obnoxious minorities at both extremes who demand everyone thinks like they do. Everyone ends up being unfairly tarnished with that brush.
Yep, experienced that myself, this morning, for having an alternate view on the latest Hebdo cartoon.

Joanpne

Forum Patron
Patron
What anger? There certainly isn't any directed to you or anyone else.

I am sure many of us can see however the change in society's attitude to the poppy over the years. It used to be Remembrance Day, not Remembrance November. It used to be a little plastic poppy, whereas it seems to have turned into a national pageant and fashion show.

I think you're being a little disingenuous to suggest you don't know anyone who 'dislikes PC' based on it benefitting someone else. This thread is full of examples of exactly that.

I was merely pointing out that the wearing of a poppy (or not) is politically correct, irrespective of how an individual feels about it - you only have to look at the media's treatment of public figures who choose not to wear one.

You make a good point about people feeling they can't discuss things and the resultant frustration. The poppy is a good example of that - any discussion is met with 'you wouldn't be able to discuss this if it wasn't for the sacrifice' as a guilt tripping conversation ender. Indeed, both you and realistic pulled a version of it in response.

On a wider level, political correctness exists in many ways, some obvious, others less so.

Thank you for the polite response. Maybe cynical is a better word than anger but there is absolutely nothing disingenuous about what I said. I think we just see things from different angles is all, nothing wrong with that, we have different experiences and consequently different angles from which we view.

I can’t disagree about the Poppy situation in the beginning my post was just pointing out a conversation to Ando following one we had previously about the Poppy and the BBC. I think it should be personal choice whoever you are. Sometimes I wear one and sometimes I don’t but, being brutally truthful I would see how much money went to the charity and how much went to the CEO!

Joanpne

Forum Patron
Patron
What I will say, is that if someone is acting in good faith and trying to be respectful and understanding to other people - both at a personal and wider level then one can't go far wrong.

Attitudes and beliefs change and often reflect society changing faster than we can keep up.

There will always be someone telling us off for getting things wrong, but I think many of us can identify times when we have used language or had ideas that we now acknowledge as wrong. That doesn't make us bad people.

One can always have an opinion but if in our hearts we are trying to be decent to others then we can sleep well at night, even if we have expressed a thought that doesn't line up with what others think.
100% agree with this. As I said earlier treat others as you’ll like to be treated yourself and you wont go wrong. My conscience is a menace it nags me all day, every day!

Realistic

Manager
What anger? There certainly isn't any directed to you or anyone else.

I am sure many of us can see however the change in society's attitude to the poppy over the years. It used to be Remembrance Day, not Remembrance November. It used to be a little plastic poppy, whereas it seems to have turned into a national pageant and fashion show.

I think you're being a little disingenuous to suggest you don't know anyone who 'dislikes PC' based on it benefitting someone else. This thread is full of examples of exactly that.

I was merely pointing out that the wearing of a poppy (or not) is politically correct, irrespective of how an individual feels about it - you only have to look at the media's treatment of public figures who choose not to wear one.

You make a good point about people feeling they can't discuss things and the resultant frustration. The poppy is a good example of that - any discussion is met with 'you wouldn't be able to discuss this if it wasn't for the sacrifice' as a guilt tripping conversation ender. Indeed, both you and realistic pulled a version of it in response.

On a wider level, political correctness exists in many ways, some obvious, others less so.

Well with the BBC being the State Broadcaster, I do think it's appropriate for those representing it on TV to honour the dead of the war(s) that secured it's future.

And if I am correct in thinking you have a connection with the Irish (many do), do you not join in with the spirit of the St Patrick's day celebrations, for instance, by wearing something appropriate?

Took My Heart

First Team
100% agree with this. As I said earlier treat others as you’ll like to be treated yourself and you wont go wrong. My conscience is a menace it nags me all day, every day!

And no matter how hard you try you'll never be right for everyone all the time. Someone will see something that isn't 'correct'. It doesn't mean we stop trying to be decent, or we have a 'get out of jail free card' for having horrible views but it does mean we can be a little kinder to ourselves and our interactions with the world.

All to often we find people willing to jump on a clumsy turn of phrase, no matter how well intentioned.

Took My Heart

First Team
Well with the BBC being the State Broadcaster, I do think it's appropriate for those representing it on TV to honour the dead of the war(s) that secured it's future.

And if I am correct in thinking you have a connection with the Irish (many do), do you not join in with the spirit of the St Patrick's day celebrations, for instance, by wearing something appropriate?

No, I have no familial or as far as I know ancestral connection to the Irish.

I can't ever imagine wearing or celebrating a national symbol of any description.

Realistic

Manager
No, I have no familial or as far as I know ancestral connection to the Irish.

I can't ever imagine wearing or celebrating a national symbol of any description.
Okay, I was incorrect in thinking that. You must be aware that your user name is at least suggestive of some connection or sentiment along those lines though, as I've known lots of Irish people and that phrase is not uncommonly used.

On the second point, you wouldn't consider waving a particular flag if you were watching a national sport and your country's side was winning ?

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I agree with some of that. I don't like Poppy fascists (anyone looking to be outraged by noticing that someone isn't wearing one) but if you work for the BBC and you are on television you should wear one. Why ? Because without the sacrifices of the service men and women and merchant navy including many ethnic minorities during the two world wars particularly the second one, the BBC wouldn't exist.
They fought for the choice not to wear one

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
Not one like for my very reasonable post, from the likes of Winky Tinky, Comrade Raefil, Took my heart and Septic patter. (y) Cheers and get stuffed !
In fairness I was going through my new pre match routine, a Pee, a hot chocolate, and bringing a blanket down from upstairs. You know the important things :)

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Another topic. I just saw an advert for DFS involving Wallace, Gromit and Lady Tottington.

I find it disgusting that someone can make an advert involving a white heterosexual couple without balancing it out with also featuring BAME people and a romantic shot of a gay or lesbian couple.
Maybe they get away within because it’s an animation - but it is so glaringly out of step with every other advert on the telly nowadays, something should be done.