Political Correctness

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
It is a bit odd that Radio 1 censor a song, whilst Radio 2 decide that they will not.

The world is turning upside down!
Is it not because radio 1 has a younger audience so lyrics are more likely to be heard by children than on radio 2. Either way it's a something and nothing story but slightly funny if it's got Lozza wetting the bed again.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last

This is the only section with controversial lyrics - I don’t know which ones are changed on Radio 1. My guess is that the words slut and arse are not banned there. What about faggot? This might be the “problem” word - even though the meaning here isn’t really clear what was meant. Just a word that sounds a bit insulting whilst rhyming with maggot.

I do wonder if the censorship is more related to people thinking that the Under-30s. are more enlightened when it comes to being more inclusive - rather than Under 14s hearing bad things.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
You're a punk
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
I pray God it's our last

This is the only section with controversial lyrics - I don’t know which ones are changed on Radio 1. My guess is that the words slut and arse are not banned there. What about faggot? This might be the “problem” word - even though the meaning here isn’t really clear what was meant. Just a word that sounds a bit insulting whilst rhyming with maggot.

I do wonder if the censorship is more related to people thinking that the Under-30s. are more enlightened when it comes to being more inclusive - rather than Under 14s hearing bad things.
Slut is muted faggot replaced by haggard.

Re-recorded by them in the 90s

Original to be played on Radio 2. Re-recorded version on Radio 1. 6 music to alternate depending on time of day.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
You're a punk
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
I pray God it's our last

Its context within the sense and characters of the song mean that its entirely appropriate. How do you depict two people randomly and drunkenly insulting one another if you remove the offensive language. Anyone that gets offended is not listening in context but picking out words independently and judging them in isolation. Which frankly is ridiculous. The equivalent of banning a relevant sex scene because there’s sight of someones botty. Why not just go the whole hog and ban all adjectives.

Hey fatty! Where my lunch?

Last edited:

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
You're a punk
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
I pray God it's our last

Enlightened or incapable of suspending their disbelief and appreciating art?

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
There has been an edited version since the early 90s. It was re-recorded by the band willingly.

This gets trotted out every year as if it is something new and the same people get offended every year
Nothing offensive about it. Pathetic? Yes. Offensive? Not even slightly.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
The world is going mad..... they said yesterday that young people ( I think they were referring to 20-somethings ) won’t understand the context of the song and the use of some of the lyrics.... for Christ sake, we truly are raising a nation of snowflakes.

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
The world is going mad..... they said yesterday that young people ( I think they were referring to 20-somethings ) won’t understand the context of the song and the use of some of the lyrics.... for Christ sake, we truly are raising a nation of snowflakes.
Who said? It's not the young that are the snowflakes here it's those making the decision to censor something and those that are acting outraged about it, look at your own reaction before you declare a generation younger than yours are the ones melting about this.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I think the most ridiculous aspect of things like this is the futility of it all. I mean this is Radio 1, a station which plays songs by grime artists, rap, garage, hip-hop etc.
Are they intending to scour every one of these and remove terms which young people might find offensive or upsetting.

Take the word ‘ho’ (as in whore) out of some of their lyrics and you’d be left with an instrumental 😂

Utterly futile and as usual it is the PC police who are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Am I permitted to use the word ‘nut’ or does that offend anybody concerned with mental health? In all seriousness, this is a BBC first world problem, find something useful to do folks.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Who said? It's not the young that are the snowflakes here it's those making the decision to censor something and those that are acting outraged about it, look at your own reaction before you declare a generation younger than yours are the ones melting about this.
I get where Ando is going with this though. I can tell from my own experience that whilst many kids think this is pathetic and most are resilient these days and just shrug and move on, there are examples where I think we have created a bit of an issue.

In our bid to make the world a kinder place where people are nicer to each other, bullying is unacceptable and ridicule or discrimination according to identity characteristics is frowned upon or illegal. Well we sometimes inevitably cross over into a censorious world full of PC zealots. We see this now particularly in the arts, where quite prominent celebrities, especially comics, are speaking out against this.

Purely anecdotally, occasionally teachers are attempting to discuss social issues or historical events and find pupils saying ‘you can’t say that’ when they are describing facts or discussing an unpalatable point of view.

it’s a bit like this...

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
You're a punk
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
I pray God it's our last

You missed out the 1st line

"You're a bum".

Personally, leave the song as it was originally intended.