Political Correctness

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
I get where you are coming from with this but I understand “ coloured “ was a derogatory term used in early 20th century American segregation as in “ no coloureds “

So if back then "black" was a derogatory term then we must assume that today "coloured " would be perfectly acceptable.......... Derogatory names I can get my head around being offensive but not colours. .

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
As many of you know, I'm mixed race. Grandad came over from the Caribbean as part of the Windrush generation and married my Irish Grandmother.

We've always referred to black people as coloured in our family.

I've no problem whatsoever with the word, but I do understand that some folk do.

If you look at the comments from black and mixed people on the tweets regarding this Amber Rudd thing, it's pretty much an even 50/50 between those of us who are offended, and those of us who don't see what the fuss is all about.

One thing for certain though, I'm sick to the fucking back teeth of all this outrage at anything that is deemed to be even the slightest bit racist. It's making it look like we (people of colour 🤭) are right moaning sensitive bastards.... when in fact it's usually white folk that are telling us that we should be offended by X Y Z and instigating the 'outrage'

Well meaning as they are, I just think it's creating a lot of unnecessary animosity. It's spiralled completely out of control.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
You don't half spout some shite at times.. Which bit?...... All of it..... But to focus on one issue, there is no such thing as a White person or a Black person and that's a fact, so the whole bloody post is blown out of the water.... And your defence of Diane ( no matter what) is becoming a bit silly.

Dinosaurs my arse, it's PC jellybrains that have decided that some things are wrong and on many an issue they've made things far worse...Feckin Dudleys.
Good evening diplocidus :)

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
As many of you know, I'm mixed race. Grandad came over from the Caribbean as part of the Windrush generation and married my Irish Grandmother.

I've no problem whatsoever with the word, but I do understand that some folk do.

If you look at the comments from black and mixed people on the tweets regarding this Amber Rudd thing, it's pretty much an even 50/50 between those of us who are offended, and those of us who don't see what the fuss is all about.

One thing for certain though, I'm sick to the fucking back teeth of all this outrage at anything that is deemed to be even the slightest bit racist. It's making it look like we (people of colour 🤭) are right moaning sensitive bastards.... when in fact it's usually white folk that are telling us that we should be offended by X Y Z and instigating the 'outrage'

Well meaning as they are, I just think it's creating a lot of unnecessary animosity. It's spiralled completely out of control.
This wonderful lady nailed it for me.

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
She makes a good point, obviously.

But there are situations where referring to someone's skin colour as a way of identifying them, singling them out etc is perfectly reasonable.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying, for example, "That black lad who Preston had on the wing is a special player"

I don't know man. I just think it's all getting a bit too much.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
She makes a good point, obviously.

But there are situations where referring to someone's skin colour as a way of identifying them, singling them out etc is perfectly reasonable.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying, for example, "That black lad who Preston had on the wing is a special player"

I don't know man. I just think it's all getting a bit too much.
Yep, thats a term I use quite regularly.

Ando60

Manager
I have done things like that all my sport- watching life - " that ginger bloke, that bald bloke , that short bloke, that tall bloke, that fat bloke etc etc etc " - it's just a way of identifying people..

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
But the lady in the Twitter clip you posted, says you shouldn't.

"If you want to speak about people, you do not look at their colour...you look at them like human beings like everybody else"
Yet right at the beginning of her statement she says, "I am a black lady and its time that lady realised it is only curtains that is coloured." So she actually makes a very good point and then goes on to say that the colour of somebodies skin is of no relevance that they are all people.

A very beautiful and succinct woman.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
But the lady in the Twitter clip you posted, says you shouldn't.

"If you want to speak about people, you do not look at their colour...you look at them like human beings like everybody else"

"The ginger twat with the big nose who scored against us " is a no goer then?..... Only relating to " human" features so it might be okay.

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
Yet right at the beginning of her statement she says, "I am a black lady and its time that lady realised it is only curtains that is coloured." So she actually makes a very good point and then goes on to say that the colour of somebodies skin is of no relevance that they are all people.

A very beautiful and succinct woman.
In essence, she's saying that a person's skin colour should have no bearing on how they are treat. Which I obviously agree with.

It's the "If you want to speak about people, you do not look at their colour...you look at them like human beings like everybody else" bit that is a tad contentious, to me. And I do mean a tad.

Again, there are many situations whereby referencing a person's skin colour is perfectly reasonable. As in the example I have given above.

It won't be long before you are made to feel guilty about referring to somebody as "black" - which is what I'm trying to get at, and I don't think it would be right.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
In essence, she's saying that a person's skin colour should have no bearing on how they are treat. Which I obviously agree with.

It's the "If you want to speak about people, you do not look at their colour...you look at them like human beings like everybody else" bit that is a tad contentious, to me. And I do mean a tad.

Again, there are many situations whereby referencing a person's skin colour is perfectly reasonable. As in the example I have given above.

It won't be long before you are made to feel guilty about referring to somebody as "black" - which is what I'm trying to get at, and I don't think it would be right.
I agree.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron

So do I.

Strongbow

Manager

So there you go Philly .......................................thanks for your concern but not really necessary in truth (y)

pnematic

Manager

Well said mate.

There’s only one race - Human Race.

There’s a whole industry out there who are outraged and offended on behalf of others - usually hand wringing right on liberals . They do more harm than good.