Political Correctness

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
Yeah but Mulan. For fucks sake!!!!!!

My particular Meldrew weakness are those that send condolences on the net ether to the relatives of people who have passed away and they dont know at all other than by very tenuous association. Ive stopped carping about it as my wife gives me a regular bollocking about it and calls me particularly nasty names. I just have to satisfy myself by not joining in wholeheartedly in the 33 minutes applause for the death of the groundsman‘s budgie.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
Hey, guess what? It would appear that some left liberal thinkers are beginning to agree with the stance of some forum members.

Forum members who were labelled as racist/sexist/transphobic amongst various other smears.

I do wonder if we were transported back over a century, whether equivalent type of railings against PC were prevalent when resisting the militant type tactics employed by the Womens suffrage movement. Whether every radical movement to make change to the accepted norm naturally leads to some form of organised censure of the continued promotion of the previous norms to allow space for the change to be implemented. The fact that it took so long for womens rights to be obtained might indicate that there were insufficient measures placed to accelerate and support change. Or, if you simpy accept the continued promotion of ‘unfair’ or inequitable views, that you de facto prevent the change for the benefit of what is often a minority from ever being implemented. Bit of a conundrum for a democracy where the majority holds sway.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I do wonder if we were transported back over a century, whether equivalent type of railings against PC were prevalent when resisting the militant type tactics employed by the Womens suffrage movement. Whether every radical movement to make change to the accepted norm naturally leads to some form of organised censure of the continued promotion of the previous norms to allow space for the change to be implemented. The fact that it took so long for womens rights to be obtained might indicate that there were insufficient measures placed to accelerate and support change. Or, if you simpy accept the continued promotion of ‘unfair’ or inequitable views, that you de facto prevent the change for the benefit of what is often a minority from ever being implemented. Bit of a conundrum for a democracy where the majority holds sway.

I’m not even sure where to begin with that. People are behaving with such certainty of belief and hatred for alternative viewpoints that they look as if they’re members of a cult. Non-believers must be silenced - kill the heretic etc etc. Feelings are stated as fact and opponents labelled in myriad ways which are designed to close down their argument and discredit them. Deflection is everything, debate is nowhere to be seen.

Noamh Chomsky, that darling of the alt-right, 🤣 is concerned about it and you cite women’s suffrage?

If we continue down this road then we will live in an increasingly sterile world.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
I’m not even sure where to begin with that. People are behaving with such certainty of belief and hatred for alternative viewpoints that they look as if they’re members of a cult. Non-believers must be silenced - kill the heretic etc etc. Feelings are stated as fact and opponents labelled in myriad ways which are designed to close down their argument and discredit them. Deflection is everything, debate is nowhere to be seen.

Noamh Chomsky, that darling of the alt-right, 🤣 is concerned about it and you cite women’s suffrage?

If we continue down this road then we will live in an increasingly sterile world.

My point is that what we are witnessing may not be such a new phenomenon as we make out. Just we've lived in a fairly stable country for so long that we're not used to what happens when there is radical and fundamental challenge to the status quo. By minorities. To change radically you usually need to legislate and censure to a degree. That will always challenge our libertarian side.

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron
Hey, guess what? It would appear that some left liberal thinkers are beginning to agree with the stance of some forum members.

Forum members who were labelled as racist/sexist/transphobic amongst various other smears.

I don't care much for cancel culture but understand its necessity on occasion.

JK Rowling, however, has been openly discriminatory and deserves what she gets.

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron

About time, to be honest - this is a crucial moment for free speech.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I don't care much for cancel culture but understand its necessity on occasion.

JK Rowling, however, has been openly discriminatory and deserves what she gets.
I believe she said that a woman and a trans woman are not the same so it would seem she is guilty of stating an uncomfortable truth. Not sure how that is discriminatory.

If she has said more than that or other bits and pieces then fair enough.

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron
I believe she said that a woman and a trans woman are not the same so it would seem she is guilty of stating an uncomfortable truth. Not sure how that is discriminatory.

It's more than that - she's been actively transphobic for a while now.

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron

Whether it is the truth or not is irrelevant - she has the right to say it without being howled down or accused of hate speech. The debate between some trans activists and some feminists is one of the most toxic I have seen for a long time.

Like Reg, I also accept your caveat.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
It's more than that - she's been actively transphobic for a while now.
Like I said. If she has stated that, in her opinion, women and trans women are not the same or that she believes they should not compete as women in sport etc then I would suggest that she has an opinion which is challenging but in no way disgusting.
However, if as you say there’s more to it then fair enough.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Whether it is the truth or not is irrelevant - she has the right to say it without being howled down or accused of hate speech. The debate between some trans activists and some feminists is one of the most toxic I have seen for a long time.

Like Reg, I also accept your caveat.
She said that trans women do not deserve the same rights as women born with ovaries and then said it was because her ex husband abused her.

When someone uses such a large platform (as she has) to pursue an agenda against a segment of society that faces such appalling discrimination every day she deserves everything she gets.

Yes she has a right to say it but she deserves to face the consequences when she does.

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron
Agree 100%. If this is ignored then it will hugely stifle culture and the arts. It will also render forums pointless.
It's notable that most of the prominent people on the left fighting against this are comedians, probably because they understand that art needs to push boundaries, challenge perceptions, and occasionally cross over the line and go too far.

Looks like others are finally getting on board. If the left does not start tackling this and recognise the repercussions for free speech and thought, they are in trouble.

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron
She said that trans women do not deserve the same rights as women born with ovaries and then said it was because her ex husband abused her.

When someone uses such a large platform (as she has) to pursue an agenda against a segment of society that faces such appalling discrimination every day she deserves everything she gets.

Yes she has a right to say it but she deserves to face the consequences when she does.
That I didn't know - it's been a while since I followed the debate. I have been an active supporter of trans rights for many years, but the actions of a vocal and obnoxious minority sadly made me become less and less interested in recent times.